Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

The Bridges over the Yarra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Bridges over the Yarra

The River Yarra is 242 kms in length, and books have been written on all the structures crossing it - these are just a few in the CBD area.

Princes Bridge - one of the most important bridges linking the north bank and the south bank, built in 1888.

Queens Bridge. Built in 1889.

Southbank Pedestrian Bridge.

Henry Bolte Bridge. Henry Bolte was a very long term Premier of Victoria and a controversial character. The bridge was named by Jeff Kennett. another controversial premier, but the one responsible for most of the development along the Yarra River.
    The bridge is a balanced cantilever cast-in-situ box girder, but the interesting thing is that the two large Gateway Towers offer no structural support at all, and were deliberately made 1 foot taller than the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Such is the fierce rivalry between Melbourne and Sydney.

Stick with me - more bridges to come!

Re: The Bridges over the Yarra

Well Lyn, you've just given me a history lesson on Yarra bridges and I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm familiar with three of them only.

I'll add more comment later when I get home to my laptop.

1 hr later on Laptop:
    That last one I've not seen (or noticed) at all. So you lay on your tum tum to take it I take it!

And you still haven't told me if you get good views of Westgate from the Williamstown ferry.
    My Flickr

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
    The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
    On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill

Comment

"That last one I've not seen (or noticed) at all. So you lay on your tum tum to take it I take it! "

That's why you just have to do the ferry trip Mark. You see all sorts of different things from the water.
      And yes - fabulous views of Westgate Bridge - coming to a Forum near you in my next post.

Comment

Thanks Lyn. I doubt that even Sandra is aware of what's to be seen on that cruise.
        Next trip to Melbourne I'll swallow my pride as river cruises aren't really my thing (Tassie Ocean Cruises excepted!) ...
        ... being the photographic snob that I am I've always regarded them as too 'touristy' to be seen on !
        My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by pandora View Post
          Thanks Lyn. I doubt that even Sandra is aware of what's to be seen on that cruise.
          Next trip to Melbourne I'll swallow my pride as river cruises aren't really my thing (Tassie Ocean Cruises excepted!) ...
          ... being the photographic snob that I am I've always regarded them as too 'touristy' to be seen on !
          I know exactly what you mean Mark - but there are ferries at Southgate that just do the "run" to Williamstown, and aren't that touristy. We usually catch the train over, and ferry back. It really is an interesting trip by water as you have the river and the harbour to go through. You would have a great time with your camera! And there are "heritage" wooden ferries too, which are touristy, but fun, and the older original ferries do the run as well.

Comment

Lyn, what a great set I love the pedestrian bridge, it looks like it has a triangle in the middle bit ?
            [I].
            I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
            Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album

Comment

Originally posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
              Lyn, what a great set I love the pedestrian bridge, it looks like it has a triangle in the middle bit ?
              It is reputed to be the most photographed bridge in Melbourne Chevvy - especially at night. It is illuminated with a bright blue light, which reflects the shape of the bridge in the river and is quite stunning. Unfortunately we didn't get get down that way at night this time.

Comment

Originally posted by Floribunda View Post
                It is reputed to be the most photographed bridge in Melbourne Chevvy - especially at night. It is illuminated with a bright blue light, which reflects the shape of the bridge in the river and is quite stunning. Unfortunately we didn't get get down that way at night this time.
                ooh! what a sight shame you did not get there this time at night, next time maybe
                [I].
                I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
                Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album

Comment

You know more about Melbourne than I !

(you typical 'tourist')

(from bed on his Galaxy!)
                  My Flickr

Comment

Working...
                  X