Melbourne's Yarra River

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melbourne's Yarra River

The Yarra River flows through the City of Melbourne. Capital of Victoria.
    It is always a muddy brown - earning it the description of "The river that flows upside-down".
    Never-the-less, in the CBD area a lot of effort has been put into beautifying the area, with ferries running up and down the river, and many restaurants and cafes lining it's banks.
    We never go to Melbourne without taking the Williamstown/Melbourne Ferry to Williamstown, which is a charming little port on the opposite side of the bay to where Melbourne is located. It affords beautiful views of Melbourne's skyline across the bay and is a perfect spot to sit at an outside cafe and watch the world go by.

We bought our ticket from a Ticket seller at Southbank. The trip takes about 1 hour, and goes down the river and across the Port Phillip Bay.

The Williamstown Ferry approaching the bank.

Melbourne has a huge Cafe Culture and not a space is wasted for a cafe spot, this one near a bridge.

Many bridges cross The Yarra - some dating back to the 1800"s, but this a more modern style.

More to come on our river excursion.

Re: Melbourne's Yarra River

Great series Lyn, love the really modern, wacky bridge and look forward to seeing some more from your excursion

Hope you got some city scapes too

Greg
    My Flickr Home Page

Comment

Nice series Lyn, I would imagine at places like these there is a good opportunity candid photography.
      Regards Paul.
      One day I hope to be the person my dogs think I am.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/

Comment

Very enjoyable, Lynne, what is that striking building behind the ferry?
        The picture tells the story, great when you have a bad memory.DW.

Comment

The beginnings of what promises to be a very interesting set, Lyn - now taking a river cruise as you did would never have occured to me.
          The last time I was in Williamstown was as a merchandiser for Nestlé, about 50 years ago ... how time flies!
          So I'll look forward to visiting it again soon, vicariously through your eyes of course!
          My Flickr

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
          The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
          On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill

Comment

Originally posted by gregles View Post
            Great series Lyn, love the really modern, wacky bridge and look forward to seeing some more from your excursion

Greg
            I love that whacky bridge,too. It must have been designed with photographers in mind!
            John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Originally posted by gregles View Post

Greg
              Not too many city buildings this time Greg. We visit so often that now I look for something else. Mark has posted some lovely shots of Flinders Street Station recently.

Originally posted by Imageryone View Post
              Very enjoyable, Lynne, what is that striking building behind the ferry?
              That is a portion of Flinders Street Railway Station. I will find a photo taken prior to this trip. I was determined on this visit to do some shots other than buildings.

Originally posted by OlyPaul View Post
              Nice series Lyn, I would imagine at places like these there is a good opportunity candid photography.
              This was my aim this visit Paul, altho I am still shy at pointing my camera at strangers.

Comment

You must do the ferry Mark when you next visit. The city looks so different from the river, and the pace at which they are developing the wharf and harbour into modern city apartments is amazing.

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
                I love that whacky bridge,too. It must have been designed with photographers in mind!
                More bridges to come John. . Thanks for taking a look.

Comment

Looks like you're having a really good trip and the weather is holding out for you too.

We took a trip on the Yarra during our visit to Melbourne in 2001 but there does seem to have been a whole lot of development alongside the river since then!

Regards,
                  Ann1e

Comment

Originally posted by Ann1e View Post
                    Looks like you're having a really good trip and the weather is holding out for you too.

We took a trip on the Yarra during our visit to Melbourne in 2001 but there does seem to have been a whole lot of development alongside the river since then!

Regards,
                    Ann1e
                    Hi Ann1e,
                    Yes, the weather was amazing. Melbourne is said that it can have 4 seasons
                    in one day, but we were lucky with fine days whilst we were there. The day after we left it poured with rain!
                    You would notice a huge difference from Southbank down to the harbour area. From my hotel window I counted 7 huge cranes in amongst the tall buildings.
                    Huge apartment buildings are springing up where there were once wharf sheds. Some have provision for boats in the water, but we noticed huge storage sheds where they store boats 4 high and the owner makes a phone call when he wants to use it, and they place it in the water for him. I guess it doesn't cost much either!

Comment

Originally posted by Floribunda View Post
                      You must do the ferry Mark when you next visit. The city looks so different from the river, and the pace at which they are developing the wharf and harbour into modern city apartments is amazing.
                      I visited Docklands with Sandra last year, it was really tacky, a horrible place to be. But I can imagine you would have had great views of Westgate Bridge.
                      Next time I will certainly take your advice and take the cruise.
                      My Flickr

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
                      The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
                      On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill

Comment

Working...
                      X