• Show
Clear All

Re: Trip to the isle of Puffins

I love No. 2, the first puffin photo - it tells a story
    Rosemary (EvaWood)
    E-P2, 17mm, 14-42mm, 40-150mm lenses

Comment

Fortune favours the brave. Some lovely varied shots and, from a previous life I know just how difficult it can be to get 'the shot' you want especially when the weather plays up. Had #3 contained all three, IMO it would have been the best of of the best. Thanks for sharing and bringing back some magical memories from a distant past.
      It's not what inspires us that is important, it's where the journey takes us.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Comment

Thanks Bill, Mark, Eva and Wally

I agree about the 3 puffins in flight as well. The 90-250 was quite difficult to pan for lateral flying birds... that's one aspect I wasn't too happy with on the day
        E510, E5, EM-5, many ZD and m.zuiko lenses and Bigma

My FLICKR

Comment

Outstanding. Well done.
          Olympus E3
          http://www.facebook.com/MarkDPhotos

Comment

Fantastic set Rutwij, thanks for sharing!
            GX7, EP3, 9-18, 14-45, 45-150, 20 1.7, 25 1.4, 45 1.8, FL36 & various OM glass. flickr

Comment

Stunning images of the colourful little birds Rutwij, thanks for sharing these.
              Regards Huw

Olympus equipment
              Capture One Pro
              My flickr

Comment

Thanks fearless, timg and Huw, appreciate your kind words

Rutwij

My FLICKR

Comment

There's a feature on photographing puffins in this month's Advanced Photographer magazine and I have to say the pictures in this thread are far superior. That's not to say those in the magazine are bad, far from it, but there is a clear difference IMO.
                  John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
                    There's a feature on photographing puffins in this month's Advanced Photographer magazine and I have to say the pictures in this thread are far superior. That's not to say those in the magazine are bad, far from it, but there is a clear difference IMO.
                    Thanks very much John, that's high praise indeed!
                    I have to say though, it's a lot of credit to Olympus for making such fantastic equipment... make a photographer's job so much more pleasurable and rewarding

Rutwij

My FLICKR

Comment

If I may ask... How do you get to the island? Ferry? Where does it sail from and how much? How long did you spend on the island?

I fancy doing the same some day, not sure I can match your results though.
                      Olympus E3
                      http://www.facebook.com/MarkDPhotos

Comment

Originally posted by Fearless Leader View Post
                        If I may ask... How do you get to the island? Ferry? Where does it sail from and how much? How long did you spend on the island?

I fancy doing the same some day, not sure I can match your results though.
                        There's a boat that leaves from Anstruther harbour (Fife) everyday (weather/sea permitting). The charge is 25pp. There's also a smaller RIB which can carry 8-12 people (which our group took), for the same charge per person. This was better because we got to the island 2 hours before the boat with the other people was due. As it so happens, the boat didn't turn up anyway because of the wind/choppy sea, so we had the whole isle all to our group. The guy who organized the trip goes there regularly and said that even if the larger boat brings more visitors, most people don't venture past the visitors centre, so there are still plenty of photo opportunities.
                        More information on the boat service on their website:
                        http://www.isleofmayferry.com

If you can get together 8-12 people, it's worth taking the RIB. It's quicker, and you get more time on the island. We were there for about 3.5-4 hours.

Depending on where you are in the UK, you might find it more convenient to go to the Farne/Staple islands, which are just off the coast of Sunderland.

If it's a good summer's day (hopefully some coming along soon), I'm sure you will get amazing results from the 75-300 or any long lens as well. In my experience Olympus DSLR cameras aren't great in low light (different story with the PEN/OMD cameras), so it certainly helps to have lots of light so you can get to use fast shutter speeds.

Look forward to your trip and photos!

Rutwij

My FLICKR

Comment

Working...
                        X