Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Five minutes walk from home ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Five minutes walk from home ...

... on a wonderful day, at last! Sunny and breezy but a warm wind now, so very pleasant. The morning was not a photographic success so we abandoned our trip and returned home. It was too good a day to waste indoors and right on our doorstep we had these scenes -

This small lake (or pond, some might say!) is fed by a very small stream which runs alongside the canal. You can see some narrowboats moored through the trees. The pair of swans in the pic have a nest at the far end of the lake and the pen, on the left, doesn't normally leave but I think she probably got fed up waiting for lunch so nipped off the nest for a quick bite to eat. The cob on the right is ... just swanning around, as they do! -

This bridge runs across from the canal towpath to a small road which connects with the High Street and it is at this point the stream widens into the lake. The surrounding area is left pretty much in its natural state and attracts a lot of wildlife -

and, finally, man's best friend, in this instance acting as supervisor, waiting at the side of the lock gate for the master to bring the narrowboat back up to a sensible level so that he can jump aboard once again -

All taken with the XZ10, having left my OM-D at home in disgust at the disappointing morning!

Regards,
    Ann1e

Re: Five minutes walk from home ...

Looks a great place to explore with a good mixture of habitat.
    I would love it there.....and what's that I spy.....ah it's the sun !!
    A terrible day up here...anyone would think we lived in a different continent not a few miles apart.

Bet the wife will love the last pic when I show her...

Keith
    Keith

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68459774@N05

E500,E510 now dead,E520 (now retired),E600 and Grip,14-42,14-45,2x40-150,Sigmas 105 and 135-400 Now Dead..ex 25. Manfrotto 190. Plus lots of OM stuff.
    Now also 4 items from the dark side...........

Comment

Originally posted by ringneck View Post
      Looks a great place to explore with a good mixture of habitat.
      I would love it there.....and what's that I spy.....ah it's the sun !!
      A terrible day up here...anyone would think we lived in a different continent not a few miles apart.

Bet the wife will love the last pic when I show her...

Keith
      Thanks for looking in and for your comments.

We are fortunate in having this 'on our doorstep'. We have lived in the same town for some years but our old 'family' home was a mile out of the centre at the top of a steep hill and so trips down were usually by car and we would often do whatever we needed to do and then get back in the car and drive home. Now, you only need the odd half hour or so and you can just go for a short wander.

The variations in the weather have been quite marked this year. Here we have differences one side of the Chilterns to the other and recently a town just five miles from here had a huge snowfall when we had just a light dusting. It is very disappointing though when the forecast is good but the reality does not live up to the expectation.

Hope your wife enjoyed the canine content.

Regards,
      Ann1e

Comment

That touch of Sun brings everything to life, Annie, what a lovely place to be able to enjoy.
        The picture tells the story, great when you have a bad memory.DW.

Comment

The light in these is lovely Annie. I think you must be very privileged to live in London and yet have such natural surroundings "on your doorstep".
          I travel 150 miles to Melbourne for a change of scene!
          My Flickr

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
          The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
          On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill

Comment

Yes Annie you have the best of two worlds....being British and living in the country, or almost! I do think with the way the world is turning that I am fortunate to live in what I think is the best country in the world.....but I still love England and wish I could return again. So much that I never saw...so much that I would love to visit again...but my memories are all on the 'puter and I have them to remind me of you, your husband and all the rest of the gang that I met last year, almost a year ago now!

Comment

Thanks Imageryone and Mark - yes, when we get to this time of year, I certainly do appreciate our location and we make the most of what good weather we get!

Thanks, too, Bill - I am glad you have so many good memories of the UK - it was a pleasure for us to meet up with you last year and I'm pleased you have some fond memories of the trip bearing in mind the extended stay you had not planned!

I think you are right about Canada being a wonderful place to live - we have not visited but I have friends living just outside Ottawa and in Calgary and in both cases they seem very happy with their lot. Here in the UK we have Europe on our doorstep which gives us opportunities to experience different areas and ways of life but you have diverse scenery and cultures all in your own country.

Regards,
              Ann1e

Comment

Originally posted by Ann1e View Post
                Thanks Imageryone and Mark - yes, when we get to this time of year, I certainly do appreciate our location and we make the most of what good weather we get!

Thanks, too, Bill - I am glad you have so many good memories of the UK - it was a pleasure for us to meet up with you last year and I'm pleased you have some fond memories of the trip bearing in mind the extended stay you had not planned!

I think you are right about Canada being a wonderful place to live - we have not visited but I have friends living just outside Ottawa and in Calgary and in both cases they seem very happy with their lot. Here in the UK we have Europe on our doorstep which gives us opportunities to experience different areas and ways of life but you have diverse scenery and cultures all in your own country.

Regards,
                Ann1e
                Annie...and now you have a friend in Scarborough, a part of Toronto!

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Gordon View Post
                  Annie...and now you have a friend in Scarborough, a part of Toronto!
                  Well thank you, Bill, - it sure is better to have three friends than just two!

I have just had a quick look at some Google images of Scarborough - the Bluffs area looks to be a great recreational location - wonderful rock formations.

My cousin and her husband emigrated to Canada over 50 years ago and lived at various addresses in Toronto but they headed south of the border for employment reasons and now live in Marietta, GA.

Regards,
                  Ann1e

Comment

Ann1e, WoW that beautiful GSD reminds me of my dear "Charlie" sadly gone, but not forgotten.

Such a wonderful walk and Thank You for sharing with us
                    [I].
                    I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
                    Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album

Comment

Working...
                    X