Dothill Pool and Tee Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dothill Pool and Tee Lake

Not sure if anyone else is the same but until recently I have been ignoring what is under my nose. A 2 minute walk from my house is a pond, not very big and not really appealing to look at in anyway.

Tonight I went for a walk with my E420, 70-300 and EC14. I was only out of the house for half an hour but was amazed how much I saw.

First there was a right squabble in the first bush I came to, two Robins having a fight! They stopped immediately to acknowledgemy presence and even posed for a couple of pictures.

Robin Dothill by Tim J Preston, on Flickr

This little guy appeared to becoming off worst

He was very keen to show me the damage he had sustained to his little head.

High above my head in the trees I was being watched very,very carefully

Buzzard Dothill by Tim J Preston, on Flickr

A Buzzard! Just a two minute stroll from my house, unbelievable.

I then spent a few minutes trying to photograph a Wren with no joy, wouldn't stay still!

Nesting in the far corner of the pond amongst the overgrown bracken was also a swan.

Swan on nest Dothill by Tim J Preston, on Flickr

My presence didn't appear to be appreciated so I left well a lone.

Swan Dothill by Tim J Preston, on Flickr

A coot drifted by minded his own business but appeared to have a sense of urgency

Coot Dothill by Tim J Preston, on Flickr

Then to top it all a Tufted Duck, three altogether!

Tufted Duck Male Dothill by Tim J Preston, on Flickr

By this time the light was starting to fade so I made my way home, the long 2minute stroll. I can't believe I have ignored what is on my door step for so long.

Guess where my evenings will now be spent!
    Thanks
    Tim

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33153464@N07/

Re: An interesting birding evening

Thanks for sharing these pictures, embodied in a nice narrative.
    /Tord

My Gallery on 500px

Comment

Great set it's surprising what is under our nose sometimes, I guess you'll be a frequent visitor to the pond.

Tom
      "Who is watching the Watchers, watching the Watchers watching us"

Its not what you see, it's the way that you see it"

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/photofxstudios

Comment

Well done on finding your own local patch Tim. You can have fun recording what else turns up there as the year progresses. Some very nice shots here and I am especially envious of the Buzzard as they are still not common in my part of the world, although they are slowly spreading here. Excellent narrative too, as Tord said.

Ron

Comment

Thanks, Buzzards are very common around here, this is the closest I've managed to get to one. I'm looking forward to see what comes of the swans nest.
          Thanks
          Tim

Comment

Great set Timmy.
            As Ron says congratulations on finding your own "Local Patch" it can be a very rewarding form of birding.
            When I first got into birding I used to travel all over the place.Over time I came to realise that with a little perseverence and making regular visits to local sites I could see many of the birds I wanted without leaving my local area. Visiting local sites at different times of day and in different seasons and weather conditions will reveal an even greater range of species. As your recognition skills increase you will also spot all sorts of birds as you go about your daily business that you never knew were all around you. With today's ever increasing fuel costs and environmental concerns this form of birding is both more affordable and environmentaly friendly. Enjoy.

Regards.
            Peter

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
            OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
            Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.

Comment

Well found nice shots from the Robin showing its war wound to the Buzzard keep going back and send in your shots.
              Ed

Live life in the slow lane.

Comment

Hi Timmy. I think one of the reasons I love birding so much is because of just what you have described.
                If you go out with the intention of spotting something specific, quite often nothing happens and you return home disappointed. But to go to a favourite quiet spot, and just sit - it is amazing what comes to you, and what you notice.
                I enjoyed your set and narrative very much.

Comment

Thanks, I thought it would be nice to pop across at least once a week and maybe keep this tread updated. Maybe a good time to start with nests appearing and spring, hopefully, arriving soon.

A mini spring watch!

Maybe interesting to see what's about on the doorstep.
                  Thanks
                  Tim

Comment

A stroll today just after lunch came up trumps again on the doorstep. Its amazing what is there. Today I even seen a Sparrowhawk attempt to take a blackbird, unfortunately I didn't even have time to raise the camera bfore they both disapeared. The noise was fantastic as the sparrowhawk swooped in about 10 feet to my left. Whooooosh!

My nemesis so far was there again the little Wren and yet again I couldn't get a shot and he showed me exactly what he thought of me.

Wren rear Dothill by Tim J Preston, on Flickr

I will get him though!

A Great Tit was very cautious and came to have a sneaky peak before he disapeared.

Great Tit Dothill by Tim J Preston, on Flickr

Not the best of shots but the bushes are very thick, the little female Chaffinch more than made up for it though. My best of the day I think.

Chaffinch Female Dothill by Tim J Preston, on Flickr

She was quite happy to pose for a while and I got quite a few decent shots of her. The next shock I had was of this little duck, at first I assumed it was a Mallard but a double take revealed it was a Teal, Remarkable, I would not have dreamt of seeing one of these there.

Teal male Dothill by Tim J Preston, on Flickr

Not the best of shots but he wouldn't come near at all! The next one again tried to gain my attention by dropping twigs into the nearby undergrowth. I watched a pair of Jays for quite a while going in and out of the same clump of clinging Ivy so I assume they are nesting there.

Jay Dothill by Tim J Preston, on Flickr

A very timid bird and was almost aways only still for a split second. The last of the day was,I think, a Carrion Crow. He was sat high in the trees above my head.

Carrion Crow Dothill by Tim J Preston, on Flickr

Again, a very enjoyable hour or so spent literally within a 5 minute radius of my house. There are many more species I have seen but have not yet been able to get a decent picture of. Pheasant, Bullfinch, Siskin, Moorhen and Magpies to name but a few.

Todays visit also brought me my first butterfly of the year!

Small Tortoiseshell Dothill by Tim J Preston, on Flickr
                    Thanks
                    Tim

Comment

Timmy, what I lurve most about your thread is "the joy and excitement" in your voice/words !

What an amazing discovery you have made ! I often forget our little Frog pond and our Birdfeeders too
                      [I].
                      I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
                      Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album

Comment

Although I love to try fresh fields, new challenges and new experiences, most of my lifes pleasures is watching what appears in my own garden. This same sense of wonder is comming in your thread, and I am enjoying every word and image. Thanks.
                        The picture tells the story, great when you have a bad memory.DW.

Comment

Ha ha thanks, to be honest most of the pictures aren't of a brilliant quality, it's just amazing what's under my nose. Once I know what is where I can go back and retry.
                          Thanks
                          Tim

Comment

A great reminder of the variety which often can be found right on our doorsteps. Robins always appear to be cute and friendly but in reality they are vicious little b*st*rds and punch well above their size and weight. Keep trying with the wren but don't be surprised if you don't get it - they never seem to stay still!
                            John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Re: Dothill Pool and Tee Lake

Had a stroll across to the pool again this afternoon, it was a dull, damp drizzly day here today so the lighting wasn't great. The first thing I noticed was that the Daffs were in full bloom and the Willow tree looked very green instead of the brown of last week.

Today seemed to be all about the ducks, had the weather for it I suppose. On arrival the welcoming commitee was on hand

Mr and Mrs

Mallard Pair Dothill by Tim J Preston, on Flickr

The male ducks seemed extremely fiesty today and the poor old females weren't getting a minutes peace.

To my surprise the Tufted Ducks seem to have increased in numbers by one! There are now two pairs on the pool and I am assuming they are resident there. I am interested to see if they have young here.

Tufted Duck 2 pairs Dothill by Tim J Preston, on Flickr

Their eyes truly are amazing, very bright. One of the females seemed quite inquisitive today and came closer than on previous trips.

Tufted Duck Female Dothill by Tim J Preston, on Flickr

They also seem to mix with the locals without too much trouble.

Mallard Male and Tufted Male Dothill by Tim J Preston, on Flickr

I have also discovered a second Swans nest. That's two on a relatively small pool? Interestingly though I have only seen two swans. Would one be a nest and one a perch? They were both occupied today.

Swan Dothill Nest site 2 by Tim J Preston, on Flickr

It must have been cold in the tree tops, this pair didn't look at all impressed.

Wood Pidgeon Pair Dothill by Tim J Preston, on Flickr

Christopher was on hand for his moment in the spot light.

But Jenny Wren still eludes me!! I just cant get close enough. I move, it moves. Even a dog walker I missed approaching because I was so engrossed in what I was doing asked me what I was up to!

Wren Dothill by Tim J Preston, on Flickr

At least I got the face this time! I can see me becoming obsessed with this little bird. I might take my monopod next time for a bit of stability.
                              Thanks
                              Tim

Comment

Working...
                              X