Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Narrowboating @ Newbury

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Narrowboating @ Newbury

    Some River Rats (they live on the canal)





    and some Weekend Warriors (they weekend on the canal sometimes) are Indians with a canoe





    Now Naughty Diving Puppy is on the the Nuaghty rug (with his red eyes)





    At the sharp end, as the gates open onto symetry






    Water overflowing to the wier


    .
    .
    [I].
    .
    I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
    Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...


    http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

    the ONE photo album

  • #2
    Re: Narrowboating @ Newbury

    Being a "River Rat" once featured strongly in my retirement plans, until I was daft enough to get married at 39, having skillfully side-stepped the issue up until then.

    Must ensure that SWMBO doesn't see this post!
    John

    "A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Narrowboating @ Newbury

      OOh John, I could never be a River Rat - YOU were BRAVE or just young ...

      The lack of reliable hot water and possible heating issues, let alone waking to thee damp and musty odours ... in Autumn and Winter ... LURVED the log fire (all the time it was glowing)

      Musty must be why its call Muster on ships

      A weekend of waking with an ice cold nose and Nick with a cold head (I have a "mop" of thick hair) he needs to sleep in a bobble hat or Beanie

      and a tiny sit in bath I like to linger longer in deep hot water and bubbles ... candles glowing and wine flowing ...
      .
      .
      [I].
      .
      I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
      Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...


      http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

      the ONE photo album

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Narrowboating @ Newbury

        Originally posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
        OOh John, I could never be a River Rat - YOU were BRAVE or just young ...

        The lack of reliable hot water and possible heating issues, let alone waking to thee damp and musty odours ... in Autumn and Winter ... LURVED the log fire (all the time it was glowing)

        Musty must be why its call Muster on ships

        A weekend of waking with an ice cold nose and Nick with a cold head (I have a "mop" of thick hair) he needs to sleep in a bobble hat or Beanie

        and a tiny sit in bath I like to linger longer in deep hot water and bubbles ... candles glowing and wine flowing ...
        Haha, yes, it was just a long-term pipe dream when I was quite a bit younger but it held great appeal and, based on costs at the time, would have been a very economic way to spend retirement. Whether I would stilll feel the same about it now, had I remained single, is another matter!
        John

        "A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Narrowboating @ Newbury

          Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
          Haha, yes, it was just a long-term pipe dream when I was quite a bit younger but it held great appeal and, based on costs at the time, would have been a very economic way to spend retirement. Whether I would stilll feel the same about it now, had I remained single, is another matter!
          .
          .
          [I].
          .
          I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
          Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...


          http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

          the ONE photo album

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Narrowboating @ Newbury

            I enjoyed your photos of your canal trip Chevvy, but I think you are right. Nice to visit, but i wouldnt want to live on a narrow boat. It all looks so romantic, and I would love to have the experience, but only for a short time!
            I must be getting older! My sense of adventure seems less these days.
            We are having a week in Singapore from next Monday - a nice comfy hotel and pool awaits!

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Narrowboating @ Newbury

              Lyn, we woke to "White outside" such a hard frost and -2 Arghhh - cries of "More Duvet"

              We said about the River Rats - Heck I cannot imagine how COLD and DAMP is is on there right now

              As I was out in the tackroom feeding my Henry, I thought "I used to be out here at 5am feed and skip out horses, in for my brekkers and shower/dress for riding out and off I went in a T shirt under a florescent jacket on a morning like this and the jacket would be undone - as I was sooo hot - in 30 mins

              I like "COSY" in my 3rd wave ... and "Comfort" and ... Luxury too ... all of which you will have in Singapore ... ? Raffles ? or Hyett Regency ?
              .
              .
              [I].
              .
              I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
              Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...


              http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

              the ONE photo album

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Narrowboating @ Newbury

                Originally posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
                Lyn, we woke to "White outside" such a hard frost and -2 Arghhh - cries of "More Duvet"

                We said about the River Rats - Heck I cannot imagine how COLD and DAMP is is on there right now

                As I was out in the tackroom feeding my Henry, I thought "I used to be out here at 5am feed and skip out horses, in for my brekkers and shower/dress for riding out and off I went in a T shirt under a florescent jacket on a morning like this and the jacket would be undone - as I was sooo hot - in 30 mins

                I like "COSY" in my 3rd wave ... and "Comfort" and ... Luxury too ... all of which you will have in Singapore ... ? Raffles ? or Hyett Regency ?
                Hyatt Regency Chevvy - got a good deal - but will have to have a "Singapore Sling" at Raffles won't I?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Narrowboating @ Newbury

                  Originally posted by Floribunda View Post
                  Hyatt Regency Chevvy - got a good deal - but will have to have a "Singapore Sling" at Raffles won't I?
                  Lyn, I am sooo looking forward to your photos ... the Hyatt Regency is the Best bringing on back the goodtimes - and a Sling Sing at Raffles loads of photos please ...

                  but I am soo old I cannot recall the year ... maybe 1996 and look out for buildings by Kuah the Architect
                  .
                  .
                  [I].
                  .
                  I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
                  Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...


                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

                  the ONE photo album

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Narrowboating @ Newbury

                    Originally posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
                    Lyn, I am sooo looking forward to your photos ... the Hyatt Regency is the Best bringing on back the goodtimes - and a Sling Sing at Raffles loads of photos please ...

                    but I am soo old I cannot recall the year ... maybe 1996 and look out for buildings by Kuah the Architect
                    We have been to Singas a few times Chevvy, first was in 1984 as a stopover to your lovely country - our first overseas trip. Our eyes popped out of our heads when we landed at Changi and saw rows and rows of planes lined up on the tarmac!
                    We just had to return. Singapore is easy to get to from Oz - about a 6 hour flight. It is so clean and I of course love the gardens.
                    This will be the first time I will have a "real" camera with me so am looking forward to the trip more than ever!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Narrowboating @ Newbury

                      Nice set Chevvy, thanks for sharing.

                      Tom
                      "Who is watching the Watchers, watching the Watchers watching us"

                      Its not what you see, it's the way that you see it"

                      Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/photofxstudios

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Narrowboating @ Newbury

                        Nice shot out of the lock and perfect expression from that little helper! in no1. I love narrowboating just don't get time to do it these days . John your plan sounded very attractive.
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X