Skye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skye

Well there are no other words for it, our first visit to Skye will definitely not be our last.
    Perhaps it was because we had luck with the weather (to a degree...) but no I think it's more to do with the fact that it's such a wonderful place.
    Sorry for the volume of images I tried as best I could to curtail my enthusiasm
    All images courtesy of the little E-M5 and various lenses.

Loch Portree from close to our hotel

A couple of images from the Fairy Pools

The Coral beach near Dunvegan.

An image from the Portree Highland Games

Was it something I said?
    Seals on our approach to the Loch Coruisk drop off point (from Elgol).

A very much reduced in size multi-portait panorama of Loch Coruisk.

Another image from Loch Coruisk, we highly recommend the walk around the Loch, a stunning place.

Another very much reduced in size multi-portait panorama of South Rona from near Tote Forest (North of Portree).

Looking west from near Duntulm Castle.

Finally the stunning Cuillins from our Hotel garden at Portree.

Thanks for looking

Edit:
    Forgot to include this little guy, spotted while walking around Loch Coruisk.
    Regards Huw

Olympus equipment
    Capture One Pro
    My flickr

Re: Skye

Lovely shots of a lovely place.
    Iain

E-M1, E-M1 II, E-M5 II, 7.5, 8-18, 12-40, 25, 40-150, 45, 60, 300

Website
    Flickr

Comment

A great series of photos Huw. Maybe the seals don't like what the other had for lunch (or dinner the night before, depending which end offends ).

You obviuosly had a good time there then.

Ross
      I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
      Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
      Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
      Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
      Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
      Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Beautiful landscapes and lovely weather. Great shot of the hammer thrower too.
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

Great shots, Huw; I'm not jealous! Skye is a fantastic place and I really enjoyed this set.
          John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Originally posted by IainMacD View Post
            Lovely shots of a lovely place.
            Thanks Iain, yes a lovely place and I apologise a little here because I know that many members are fully aware of Skye's virtues

Originally posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
            A great series of photos Huw. Maybe the seals don't like what the other had for lunch (or dinner the night before, depending which end offends ).

You obviuosly had a good time there then.

Thanks Ross, yes we had great time there for a week early in August, stayed at the stunning Cuillin Hills Hotel which we thoroughly recommend particularly if you pay that bit extra for a Sea-view (definitely worth it).
            We were also really fortunate with the weather, which helps wherever your destination
            I've only just got around to PP'ing the many RAW images due the joys of work

Originally posted by Phill D View Post
            Beautiful landscapes and lovely weather. Great shot of the hammer thrower too.
            Thank you Phill, I have many shots from a morning spent at the games. We were not ideally positioned and as a result it was nigh on impossible to isolate the subject.
            Sadly there was an incident where one of the hammers went astray and collected one of Highland dancing judges.
            Thankfully we read in the local paper the next day that she was only badly bruised rather the more severe injuries I think everyone was imagining when she was taken away in an ambulance (again fortunately the hospital is right next door to the games location).
            Regards Huw

Olympus equipment
            Capture One Pro
            My flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
              Great shots, Huw; I'm not jealous! Skye is a fantastic place and I really enjoyed this set.
              Thanks John, I'm glad you enjoyed them
              Regards Huw

Olympus equipment
              Capture One Pro
              My flickr

Comment

Nice images Huw.
                Obviously living on Skye I get to see these places all the time.
                I hope Sandra at the Cuillin Hills Hotel looked after you well.
                have I mentioned on the forum before that I live on Skye.......................?

I'll get my coat.

"Always shoot in RAW and avoid JPEGs"

William Shakespeare.

Comment

Originally posted by Seonnaidh View Post
                  Nice images Huw.
                  Obviously living on Skye I get to see these places all the time.
                  I hope Sandra at the Cuillin Hills Hotel looked after you well.
                  have I mentioned on the forum before that I live on Skye.......................?

I'll get my coat.
                  Thanks for the kind comments Seonnaidh
                  I was mindful of you and other members who are fortunate enough to experience Skye on a more regular basis
                  And yes we were looked after extremely well at the Cuillin Hills Hotel, we will be going back, I need say no more
                  Regards Huw

Olympus equipment
                  Capture One Pro
                  My flickr

Comment

A lovely varied series of shots Huw. Skye is a fantastic place, and you;ve illustrated it well.

The third shot brought back memories of a wet climbing trip. The beautifully shaped mountain with the gash down the middle is Sgurr an Fheadain and the gash is the (in)famous Waterpipe Gully. We had an exciting wet day climbing the gully, following in the footsteps of Victorian climbers who eventually managed to get up it in 1895. And a proper struggle it was On a more sombre note, we heard a helicopter during our ascent and later found out that a lady had been killed by rockfall somewhere in the southern (RH in the shot) part of the coire. Those beautiful mountains are very dangerous.
                    John

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Flickr gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Greytop View Post
                      Thanks Iain, yes a lovely place and I apologise a little here because I know that many members are fully aware of Skye's virtues
                      No need to apologise Huw, I don't get there often enough so enjoy the images as much as those who live nearer the equator
                      Iain

Website
                      Flickr

Comment

Or below it!
                        Iain

Website
                        Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Greytop View Post
                          Sorry for the volume of images I tried as best I could to curtail my enthusiasm
                          No such thing as too many W Highlands photos.
                          John

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Flickr gallery

Comment

Ahhh! Skye it is on my "List" and now 3 pleaces up !

Huw, superb shots no one fav as they are ALL superb ! Excellent weather
                            [I].
                            I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
                            Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album

Comment

Originally posted by jdal View Post
                              A lovely varied series of shots Huw. Skye is a fantastic place, and you;ve illustrated it well.

The third shot brought back memories of a wet climbing trip. The beautifully shaped mountain with the gash down the middle is Sgurr an Fheadain and the gash is the (in)famous Waterpipe Gully. We had an exciting wet day climbing the gully, following in the footsteps of Victorian climbers who eventually managed to get up it in 1895. And a proper struggle it was On a more sombre note, we heard a helicopter during our ascent and later found out that a lady had been killed by rockfall somewhere in the southern (RH in the shot) part of the coire. Those beautiful mountains are very dangerous.
                              Thanks for the kind comments John, interesting to hear that you made up that Gully, phew
                              I had read about the Victorian climber accent, apparently it took many hours. Sad to hear about the poor lady you mentioned though.
                              We took in the Fairy pools as part of a circular walk traversing the lower slopes to the left of these photos and then back along the forest edge. It seemed that almost all visitors stop at the pools and then return directly to their cars
                              Regards Huw

Olympus equipment
                              Capture One Pro
                              My flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X