Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Rainbow Lorikeet enjoying a Banksia flower.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rainbow Lorikeet enjoying a Banksia flower.

This Rainbow Lorikeet (Trichoglossus haematodus) landed in one of our Banksia integrifolia trees (commonly known as Coast Banksia & not native to our local area) while I was trying to get some macro shots around the garden with the Sigma 150mm macro lens & EC14 on the E-M5. I had to use MF (as AF is not worth using for this lens/camera combination). So I persisted in MF until I got some successful photos of this bird feeding on the nector from the banksia flowers, before it took off with the others.

Here are a couple of cropped shots of it.

Thanks for looking.
    Last edited by Ross the fiddler; 1st July 2012, 11:01 AM. Reason: Added Wiki link
    Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Re: Rainbow Lorikeet enjoying a Banksia flower.

Two great shots of a Rainbow Lorikeet and the Banksia is a bonus, Ross.
    I shot some last year in a Melbourne backyard where they were foraging on a Flowering Gum (not as good as yours though).
    My Flickr

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
    The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
    On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill

Comment

They are both gorgeous shots Ross.
      No1 is such a classical Lori shot.
      We have about half a dozen coming in to our feeder at the moment. They are active little birds aren 't they? You did so well with MF.

Comment

Ross, Superb shots - I love the first for the upside down bird feeding - in character ! and he second for the full plumage, right side up

Is this Banksia. Native NZ and also known as Bottlebrush ? I had some bushes with Red plumes on

Thanks for sharing, such a beautiful bird
        [I].
        I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
        Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album

Comment

Originally posted by pandora View Post
          Two great shots of a Rainbow Lorikeet and the Banksia is a bonus, Ross.
          I shot some last year in a Melbourne backyard where they were foraging on a Flowering Gum (not as good as yours though).
          Thanks Mark. They sometimes come in their flocks but with our place sloping down to the north, it is either pointing towards the sun from the north side of the house or pointing up on the south side of the house & I don't always get great locations to photograph them. These were on the south side & pointing up to get it (from the confined area available to stand).
          I've had them with 3 or 4 in a Red Flowering Gum one metre high but I didn't have suitable camera settings on that day (with my E520 etc).

Originally posted by Floribunda View Post
          They are both gorgeous shots Ross.
          No1 is such a classical Lori shot.
          We have about half a dozen coming in to our feeder at the moment. They are active little birds aren 't they? You did so well with MF.
          Thanks Lyn. Yes they are quite an active & chatty bird.

Originally posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
          Ross, Superb shots - I love the first for the upside down bird feeding - in character ! and he second for the full plumage, right side up

Is this Banksia. Native NZ and also known as Bottlebrush ? I had some bushes with Red plumes on

Thanks for sharing, such a beautiful bird
          Thanks Chevvyf1.

The Banksias are Australian species although they are part of a larger genus (Proteaceae) that include the African Proteas. This Particular Banksia (Banksia Integrifolia) grows on our eastern coast (& other places that I'd have to look up). My favourite Banksia is the 'Old Man Banksia' Banksia serrata. I couldn't find any of my photos of the flower spikes & I know I have taken quite a few a some point in time. I shall do a thread of Banksias I think, after I take some more updated photos.

The Bottle Brush is a Callistemon & are a completely different genus family (Myrtaceae).
          Ross
          I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
          Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
          Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
          Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
          Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
          Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Working...
          X