Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Big, Bumper Jubilee Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: The Big, Bumper Jubilee Thread

    Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
    At least they cleaned it! Has it been returned yet?
    Unfortunately, yes
    Stephen

    A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

    Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

    My Flickr site

    Comment


    • Re: The Big, Bumper Jubilee Thread

      Originally posted by DekHog View Post
      John....

      Scotland, or at least my part of it, never appeared to have any celebrations - I think it's all part of the SNP master plan of having our own king Salmond 1st on our own saltire throne!

      I was in town a couple of times at the weekend, and also nipped off early from work on Tuesday, and saw absolutely nothing at all; not even a union jack in sight anywhere.....

      Work said to us, the office is officially closed....... but feel free to work if you wish! Work that one out......
      There certainly seems to be added impetus recently for Scottish independance and maybe the lack of interest in the Jubilee celebrations is symptomatic of that. I can see the attraction of independance for the Scot's and my view is that it is for them and them alone to decide. Whether or not that would include the English monarch in the same role as other Commonwealth countries (or even if Scotland would wish to be part of the Commonwealth) is something that would have to be decided.

      As for work, that seems to be a rather dark hint along the lines of "you're entitled to the day off but may choose not to take it if you know what's good for you."
      John

      "A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

      Comment


      • Re: The Big, Bumper Jubilee Thread

        Well i'm just back from a bumper double celebration week-end..my daughter was married on Saturday 2nd !! and then we used her home in Tunbridge Wells to visit London on Tuesday and Wednesday, so quite a busy hectic time.
        Not read all of the comments on the posting's here but just to say we really enjoyed the whole thing, normally something i'd watch on the TV, but by all accounts the event was well received even more so by the thousands of overseas visitors .....

        Watching events unfold on Trafalgar Sq.


        Plenty of flags over Admiralty Arch


        Into the spirit of things...




        Pity the poor people trapped inside these Loo's rather inconsiderate of the MP


        We were lucky enough to be funnelled after the procession onto the front of the palace...


        The Red Arrows almost on top of us..


        Nest day it was off to find out a bit more on my Great Great Great Great Grandfather, (I might have missed a few great here) on my Mum's side..

        The Church is quite old near Oxford Street..St Giles in the Fields...has a memorial plaque..plus just up the road a blue plaque where he used to work..



        [CENTER][/CENTER



        Then the last day we managed to get into the two galleries on Trafalgar Sq, and we also witnessed the Beating Retreat band marching from the Barracks on Birdcage Walk. What a sound they made as well.




        Sorry for the long thread but thoroughly enjoyed our trip..

        Peter
        OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
        I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
        www.flickr.com/photos/141996687@N02/

        Comment


        • Re: The Big, Bumper Jubilee Thread

          Excellent photos. There must be so many that never make it out of the camera so it's great that you did this. I'm as guilty as anyone....I never made it out of the house !

          Comment


          • Re: The Big, Bumper Jubilee Thread

            Lovely photos.
            http://lindagruchy.wordpress.com/

            My Flickr Photostream

            Comment


            • Re: The Big, Bumper Jubilee Thread

              Just 17 miles from Carlisle we had a few Union Jacks fluttering, an evening bonfire and fireworks too

              It was actually quite cool to watch beacons lighting up on both sides of the Solway Firth, representing the English and Scottish sides of the border. At one point we could see five beacons including ours.

              Lesley thawing out at the beacon/bonfire.


              We had a pretty decent firework display too.


              At one point a figure with a hat appeared to be trying to get out of the flames, embellished a little, but only a little in pp


              I remember back to the silver jubilee of 1977. Dad was awarded a commemorative medal in recognition of his work with Age Concern Scotland
              It never saw the light of day as Dad would not recognise Elizabeth as Elizabeth the second of Scotland . Mum still has it but it remains hidden in a drawer

              Oh and we just had great news Our Liam is now playing with Queen of the South Under 19s a considerable step up from Gretna. I am sure even my Dad would have had a smile at that

              Greg
              My Flickr Home Page

              Comment


              • Re: The Big, Bumper Jubilee Thread

                Originally posted by Rocknroll59 View Post
                Well i'm just back from a bumper double celebration week-end..my daughter was married on Saturday 2nd !! and then we used her home in Tunbridge Wells to visit London on Tuesday and Wednesday, so quite a busy hectic time.
                Not read all of the comments on the posting's here but just to say we really enjoyed the whole thing, normally something i'd watch on the TV, but by all accounts the event was well received even more so by the thousands of overseas visitors .....

                Watching events unfold on Trafalgar Sq.


                Plenty of flags over Admiralty Arch


                Into the spirit of things...




                Pity the poor people trapped inside these Loo's rather inconsiderate of the MP


                We were lucky enough to be funnelled after the procession onto the front of the palace...


                The Red Arrows almost on top of us..


                Nest day it was off to find out a bit more on my Great Great Great Great Grandfather, (I might have missed a few great here) on my Mum's side..

                The Church is quite old near Oxford Street..St Giles in the Fields...has a memorial plaque..plus just up the road a blue plaque where he used to work..



                [CENTER][/CENTER



                Then the last day we managed to get into the two galleries on Trafalgar Sq, and we also witnessed the Beating Retreat band marching from the Barracks on Birdcage Walk. What a sound they made as well.




                Sorry for the long thread but thoroughly enjoyed our trip..

                Peter

                Hi Peter,

                What a stunning set of pictures, and bonus points for the shot of the Queen!

                Very interesting about your ancestor Thomas Earnshaw, it appears he was quite a star in his day. I seem to remember reading somewhere previously (it might have been at Greenwich Museum) that the invention of the marine chronometer revolutionized marine navigation.

                Back to the pictures; I'm having real difficulty picking out a favourite because they are all so very, very good!
                John

                "A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

                Comment


                • Re: The Big, Bumper Jubilee Thread

                  Originally posted by gregles View Post
                  Just 17 miles from Carlisle we had a few Union Jacks fluttering, an evening bonfire and fireworks too

                  It was actually quite cool to watch beacons lighting up on both sides of the Solway Firth, representing the English and Scottish sides of the border. At one point we could see five beacons including ours.

                  Lesley thawing out at the beacon/bonfire.


                  We had a pretty decent firework display too.


                  At one point a figure with a hat appeared to be trying to get out of the flames, embellished a little, but only a little in pp


                  I remember back to the silver jubilee of 1977. Dad was awarded a commemorative medal in recognition of his work with Age Concern Scotland
                  It never saw the light of day as Dad would not recognise Elizabeth as Elizabeth the second of Scotland . Mum still has it but it remains hidden in a drawer

                  Oh and we just had great news Our Liam is now playing with Queen of the South Under 19s a considerable step up from Gretna. I am sure even my Dad would have had a smile at that

                  Greg
                  More superb pictures, Greg. I particularly like the fireworks.

                  Your Dad may not have appreciated that medal but he must have worked hard to have been awarded it and that's what really counts. Whatever your own views on the medal you must be very proud of him.
                  John

                  "A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

                  Comment


                  • Few from me..with the recent 50-200mk1

                    All taken during Jubilee celebrations in Eastcote garden using E3+50-200mk1
                    resized, bordered with a mild pp in PS.



















                    any suggestions/comments welcome.

                    Adal

                    Comment


                    • Re: Few from me..with the recent 50-200mk1

                      Originally posted by Adal View Post
                      All taken during Jubilee celebrations in Eastcote garden using E3+50-200mk1
                      resized, bordered with a mild pp in PS.



















                      any suggestions/comments welcome.

                      Adal
                      Love the old cars, especially the Hillman Minx convertible bedecked with all the bunting. It brings back fond memories as my Dad used to have a saloon. If I could have my pick, however, it would have to be the E-Type.
                      John

                      "A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

                      Comment


                      • Re: The Big, Bumper Jubilee Thread

                        Thanks John for the kind comments....you never really know if the pics you are taking will be good enough especially as it was pretty manic on the day, I have always admired your work so feel very honoured that you consider them to be that good, and the one's taken around the palace the rain had started and people were pushing and shoving....and I had a ITV crew right behind me pushing a big HD lens into my back !!

                        My long lost relation Thomas Earnshaw brought the owning of the chronometer to the masses (well the navy masses) and this allowed Gt Britain to embark on the discovery of the world as we know it today...I cannot remember whether it's latitude or longtitude that he cracked, but his chronometers were used (or the basic workings) up until GPS arrived...

                        I see that you are looking to get a few people together this month in Essex, I would love to join up if time allows so I'll see how things pan out...

                        Cheers
                        Peter
                        OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
                        I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
                        www.flickr.com/photos/141996687@N02/

                        Comment


                        • Re: Few from me..with the recent 50-200mk1

                          Thanks for your comments John. I am glad the pics fondled your memories and wish I had known more about these cars. I was definitely
                          fascinated by the COLOURS of the celebrations. I see more of that through Olympus gear, not sure if many agree with this.

                          regards,
                          Adal

                          Comment


                          • Re: The Big, Bumper Jubilee Thread

                            Enjoyed all of these - some iconic pics - loved the formal pics of the Family on the terrace but to me the E-type - yeah very British and the MG.
                            Terry
                            Canberra - The Nation's Capital
                            E-620 plus stuff

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X