Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Lonsome but happy

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Lonsome but happy

    Out doing safety boat duty last night and took the trusty E520. Very little wind and had to tow them all back in as the wind dropped to nothing but before that this guy, an RS400, was on his own and looked great against the sunset.

    Mersea has great sunsets and especially so from actually on the water.




    cheers

    Hec
    I've worked hard to be this grumpy. It hasn't been easy at times but it's worth it.

  • #2
    Re: Lonsome but happy

    Like this. I don't usually go for colour casts (natural or otherwise) but this, with the composition and subject, works for me.
    Colin
    "Don't blame me..."

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Lonsome but happy

      Agree with Colin the treatment really takes this to another level.
      Iain

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Lonsome but happy

        At least there was some wind. Our race last night was abandoned. Even with our huge rig we couldn't make any progress against the current on the Thames.
        David

        EM1ii, EM10ii

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Lonsome but happy

          Oops, I should have posted a pic. It wasn't taken by me as I'm sailing her but it does give you some idea of the size



          Thames A Rater.
          David

          EM1ii, EM10ii

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Lonsome but happy

            Originally posted by Melaka View Post
            At least there was some wind. Our race last night was abandoned. Even with our huge rig we couldn't make any progress against the current on the Thames.
            We saw the flags flying for abandon as well. No chance against the tide. Mass tow back home. I had four hanging off my RIB.

            Tall rig. What do you sail?

            Hec
            I've worked hard to be this grumpy. It hasn't been easy at times but it's worth it.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Lonsome but happy

              Originally posted by Melaka View Post
              Oops, I should have posted a pic. It wasn't taken by me as I'm sailing her but it does give you some idea of the size



              Thames A Rater.
              Ah - proper inland boat. As you say even with that rig designed for lighter wind no wind equals no boat speed. Must be very different to sail and not something I've tried. My experience is mostly offshore racing in yachts with more recently paying around in smaller stuff like J80 and SB3 which is huge fun. All my kids are dinghy, although the boys are very much into yacht racing these days as well, and are ex national squadies.

              thanks for posting - good to see what others are doing.

              cheers

              Hec
              I've worked hard to be this grumpy. It hasn't been easy at times but it's worth it.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Lonsome but happy

                Thanks for the comments everyone. I don't normally take sunsets these days and to be honest the shot was more about the isolation of the boat set off with an interesting sky. I did gently, only gently, boost the colour but it was super light briefly.

                It's also a bit limiting shooting from in a boat, even a RIB, as options are limited. Got away with this one.

                cheers

                Hec
                I've worked hard to be this grumpy. It hasn't been easy at times but it's worth it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Lonsome but happy

                  Originally posted by Grumpy Hec View Post

                  Mersea has great sunsets and especially so from actually on the water.




                  cheers

                  Hec
                  Hec, this is such a delicious Sunset shot I had to "quote" and post it a second time
                  .
                  .
                  [I].
                  .
                  I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
                  Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...


                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

                  the ONE photo album

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Lonsome but happy

                    Great pic, I used to do safety boat duties in Salcombe from timt to time, 90% beautiful peace and 10% frantic activity!!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Lonsome but happy

                      Originally posted by Grumpy Hec View Post
                      Ah - proper inland boat. As you say even with that rig designed for lighter wind no wind equals no boat speed. Must be very different to sail and not something I've tried. My experience is mostly offshore racing in yachts with more recently paying around in smaller stuff like J80 and SB3 which is huge fun. All my kids are dinghy, although the boys are very much into yacht racing these days as well, and are ex national squadies.

                      thanks for posting - good to see what others are doing.

                      cheers

                      Hec
                      It's a classic hull updated with modern technology. There's nothing faster than an A Rater on a river, not even a Norfolk Punt against which we race from time to time. The oldest surviving boat was built in 1898 and used for the mould to build 9 GRP and one carbon fibre (mine) hulls. A second carbon fibre hull is based on a different wooden hull. There are 12 wooden boats, sadly not all in commission, all but one of which were built before WW1. We get 14-16 turning up for the annual Bourne End Week regatta, not bad from a class that only numbers 23. The boats are all different, some quite substantially so, but LOA is typically around 26' and LWL about 16.5', most have a 43' mast and sail areas are 350 or 385 sq ft. The crew is three. Fast, elegant and exciting!
                      David

                      EM1ii, EM10ii

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Lonsome but happy

                        Originally posted by Melaka View Post
                        It's a classic hull updated with modern technology. There's nothing faster than an A Rater on a river, not even a Norfolk Punt against which we race from time to time. The oldest surviving boat was built in 1898 and used for the mould to build 9 GRP and one carbon fibre (mine) hulls. A second carbon fibre hull is based on a different wooden hull. There are 12 wooden boats, sadly not all in commission, all but one of which were built before WW1. We get 14-16 turning up for the annual Bourne End Week regatta, not bad from a class that only numbers 23. The boats are all different, some quite substantially so, but LOA is typically around 26' and LWL about 16.5', most have a 43' mast and sail areas are 350 or 385 sq ft. The crew is three. Fast, elegant and exciting!
                        A carbon boat sounds facinating with such a big rig. Along with that LOA and sailing on flat water I can see where the speed comes from. That turnout is great and not untypical for such a classic class which has allowed a degree of updating. Long may it continue. Would be nice to see a new buetifully crafted wooden example though

                        Hope to see some more A Rater pictures so get snapping.

                        cheers

                        Hec
                        I've worked hard to be this grumpy. It hasn't been easy at times but it's worth it.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Lonsome but happy

                          Love the shafts of light coming through the clouds, very atmospheric.
                          John

                          "A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Lonsome but happy

                            A wonderfully evocative image Hec. I think the sepia tints work beautifully.

                            I love boats, especially dinghies. There are quite a lot of RS400s here in Norfolk, many of them belonging to former Merlin Rocket owners. Great boats. I used to sail a Graduate and Fireball in my youth, gave up for about 20 years and then started again, trying to sail a Europe class single hander on the sea in my late 40s. I think that was rather ambitious and I seem to have done terrible things to my joints which means that I couldn't contemplate sailing these days.

                            Melaka's Rater is a fine looking creation, very similar in concept to our local Norfolk Punts. We also have some very extreme River Cruiser Class racing yachts which are also massively over canvassed and very suitable for inland waters.

                            Thanks for posting this lovely image and starting the happy memories flowing.

                            Ron

                            Ron

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Lonsome but happy

                              We sail in the Three Rivers race most years so are familiar with Norfolk punts and the fast cruiser/racers such as Moonshadow. We're up in Horning from 8 June for the race again this year so if you'd like to visit you'd be wlecome, as indeed would Grumpy Hec if you're in the Bourne End area at any time.
                              David

                              EM1ii, EM10ii

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X