Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Those little "toy" planes again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those little "toy" planes again.

As some of you may or may not know I regularly attend "Warbird" meetings all over the country.

Myself and my trusty old 1/4 Scale Fokker DVIII took the anual pilgrimage to Barkston Heath, home of the British Nationals.

As usual camping was the order of the weekend. Got down to -3 degrees on the Saturday night. I think it is time to trade the tent in for a small caravan.

The weather was typically April showers. Shame this year they included some really heavy hail showers.

So despite the worst efforts of the weather, a good couple of days was had by all.

In no particular order a few shots from the weekend. Was way to busy yarnin and enjoying myself to do to much photography.

Did fly on the Saturday afternoon. Took off in a strong wind and after a few circuits one of the many showers fell. For those of you who wear glasses, never fly in the rain! Could not see a blurry thing. So landed and as is usual with the DVIII over she nosed. Another prop gone.

Oh well.

The pictures.

Barkston Warbirds 2012 (17) by Kevin Fairgrieve, on Flickr

Barkston Warbirds 2012 (20) by Kevin Fairgrieve, on Flickr

Barkston Warbirds 2012 (51) by Kevin Fairgrieve, on Flickr

Told you them "toys" were little.

Barkston Warbirds 2012 (104) by Kevin Fairgrieve, on Flickr

Barkston Warbirds 2012 (85) by Kevin Fairgrieve, on Flickr

And yest that is a PINK Spitfire.
    Thanks for looking and the other 100 or so can be found here.. http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinfa...7629832274603/
    Today I am ready for yesterday...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinfairgrieve/

Re: Those little "toy" planes again.

man thsoe are TOYS!

Love the ME262
    hearts at peace under an English heaven

Comment

Lovely set, so many hours to build must be a great feeling to get them in the air for the first time.
      Great detail on the pink Spitfire.

Comment

Pics are fantastic - and very expensive - but a Pink Spitfire - Douglas Bader would well - vomit.
        Terry
        Canberra - The Nation's Capital
        E-620 plus stuff

Comment

Well I heard a "Cor" and a few "WoWs" here as I scrolled down viewing
          Brilliant shots and what a FAB weekend ! Thanks for sharing these - we learn something everyday
          [I].
          I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
          Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album

Comment

What a marvellous hobby, I am envious Kevin ... would love to be involved - no similar activity here that I know of.
            My Flickr

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
            The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
            On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill

Comment

Stunning, I'm in awe of the work that goes into these wonderful large scale models. The DH2 looks especially impressive as does the Reconnaissance Spitfire.
              Superb, thanks for sharing these

PS do yo have any images of your Fokker DVIII?
              Regards Huw

Olympus equipment
              Capture One Pro
              My flickr

Comment

NSS things have moved on since I attended the Nats in the mid 60s.

What propulsion were the propeller less planes using?
                This space for rent

Comment

Originally posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
                  Well I heard a "Cor" and a few "WoWs" here as I scrolled down viewing
                  Brilliant shots and what a FAB weekend ! Thanks for sharing these - we learn something everyday
                  The WOW factor for me is that I get to fly with some of the best pilots in the UK. I am not good enough to fly as a display pilot, but the ground is equel when the doors are closed to the public.

Originally posted by pandora View Post
                  What a marvellous hobby, I am envious Kevin ... would love to be involved - no similar activity here that I know of.
                  There is a flourishing scene in Australia. Try here for some info. http://www.maaa.asn.au/

Originally posted by Greytop View Post
                  Stunning, I'm in awe of the work that goes into these wonderful large scale models. The DH2 looks especially impressive as does the Reconnaissance Spitfire.
                  Superb, thanks for sharing these

PS do yo have any images of your Fokker DVIII?
                  No flying shots, but I will link to some ground static shots in a moment.

Originally posted by DerekW View Post
                  NSS things have moved on since I attended the Nats in the mid 60s.

What propulsion were the propeller less planes using?
                  Al the jet engine planes use just that (well minature gas turbines). Look here for a good example. http://www.wrenturbines.co.uk/engines/turbojet/wren-160

Just do not look for the price...

Comment

My DVIII

The rest are here. http://s1176.photobucket.com/albums/...DVIII/?start=0

Comment

Fantastic scale craft, the detailing is incredible. ( my father used to paint all scales of all types of planes, vehicles, and such for the MOD exhibitions, and his work was featured in a documentary back in the 70's. )

Is this the largest scale that it is currently possible to fly, and I once heard that flying a scale helicopter was "harder than flying the real thing". Is this the case, and is it equally as difficult to pilot these scale craft, as it is the real thing.

I suspect you are probably quite restricted as to where you can fly?

Great shot's and talking point.
                      Blackadder: "Allow me to be the first to offer Dr. Johnson my most sincere contrafibularities! I am anaspeptic, frasmotic, even compunctuous to have caused him such pericombobulation."

Comment

Originally posted by NSS View Post
                        Stunning model,
                        the DVIII was quite an advanced aircraft for it's time.
                        Thanks for sharing your pride & joy
                        Regards Huw

Olympus equipment
                        Capture One Pro
                        My flickr

Comment

Originally posted by kidslateinlife View Post
                          Fantastic scale craft, the detailing is incredible. ( my father used to paint all scales of all types of planes, vehicles, and such for the MOD exhibitions, and his work was featured in a documentary back in the 70's. )

Is this the largest scale that it is currently possible to fly, and I once heard that flying a scale helicopter was "harder than flying the real thing". Is this the case, and is it equally as difficult to pilot these scale craft, as it is the real thing.

I suspect you are probably quite restricted as to where you can fly?

Great shot's and talking point.
                          Nice to hear of your fathers work.

Most of these aircraft are either 1/3 or 1/4 scale. Anything bigger and transportation becomes a mjor issue.
                          Helicopter`s are very hard to master in RC terms. As for the difficulty, as long as the brain can determine that when flying towards you left is right and right is left, then all should be good.

All flying must be covered by insurance. As pilots of small unmaned aerial vehicles, we are governed by the CAA as to what and where we can fly. The larger models, those weighing over 20kg must be inspected at regular intervals during construction, and be given a permit to fly.

kev

Comment

Lovely shots of some beautiful models NSS, they certainly put my electric foamies to shame. As a regular visitor to the Blackbushe show I know how difficult these can be to get decent pictures of especially the jets, although it looks like you have an advantage being able to get closer at this private event.
                            My heart goes out to you with your DVIII nosing over, I know those props are not going to be cheap!

Comment

Originally posted by nickg View Post
                              Lovely shots of some beautiful models NSS, they certainly put my electric foamies to shame. As a regular visitor to the Blackbushe show I know how difficult these can be to get decent pictures of especially the jets, although it looks like you have an advantage being able to get closer at this private event.
                              My heart goes out to you with your DVIII nosing over, I know those props are not going to be cheap!
                              http://www.kingslynnmodelshop.co.uk/...duct_info.html

Imagine throwing a lens onto the concrete every time you took some pictures!!

Comment

Working...
                              X