Yesteryear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yesteryear

Now a museum, the old railway workshop at Inveresk, Launceston, Tasmania was, until it closed in the 80's, the largest in Australia.

It employed over 2,000 workers who built and repaired the State's rolling stock. During WWII it was converted to a munitions factory.

After the workshop shutdown the buildings became derelict and before restoration I once used the old railyards as a backdrop for wedding shoots.

To some degree these images illustrate yesterday's engineering technology and visitors to the museum can walk along pathways around the machinery.

The set which includes quite a few more, are from my film archives.

My Flickr

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
    The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
    On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill

Re: Yesteryear

Very interesting Mark. However you did it, you've caught that interior lighting very nicely.

I have this totally wrong impression of Taz as a rather small island (probably because I only ever see it on a map in relation to the much larger Oz mainland) so it came as a bit of a surprise to learn that it had a railway at all!

Ciao ... John

Comment

Originally posted by Bikie John View Post
      Very interesting Mark. However you did it, you've caught that interior lighting very nicely.

I have this totally wrong impression of Taz as a rather small island (probably because I only ever see it on a map in relation to the much larger Oz mainland) so it came as a bit of a surprise to learn that it had a railway at all!

Ciao ... John
      John, Me TOO ! Mark Superbly informative Thanks for sharing
      BTW what is the population of Taz ?
      [I].
      I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
      Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album

Comment

This is a very nice documentary set with perfectly captured interiors. As already said above, you've captured the light and colour perfectly.

Comment

Fantastic place, I could spend hours in there, just like an old tool shed. Lovely images, and I love the image with the carriages in particular.

All great images though......

Best wishes............Alan
          Blackadder: "Allow me to be the first to offer Dr. Johnson my most sincere contrafibularities! I am anaspeptic, frasmotic, even compunctuous to have caused him such pericombobulation."

Comment

Originally posted by Bikie John View Post
            Very interesting Mark. However you did it, you've caught that interior lighting very nicely. I have this totally wrong impression of Taz as a rather small island (probably because I only ever see it on a map in relation to the much larger Oz mainland) so it came as a bit of a surprise to learn that it had a railway at all! Ciao ... John
            Thanks John. Taz is a heart-shaped triangle, each side approx 350km long. It is my home State.

Originally posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
            John, Me TOO ! Mark Superbly informative Thanks for sharing BTW what is the population of Taz ?
            Thank you Chevvy. Population of Taz is approx 500,000 (499,999 since I left ) but due to a congenital deformity, Taswegians have a second head on their left shoulder (said to be caused by inbreeding) it could be said on a head count that the population is closer to 1,000,000. Before relocating to the mainland, I had mine surgically removed.

Originally posted by Internaut View Post
            This is a very nice documentary set with perfectly captured interiors. As already said above, you've captured the light and colour perfectly.
            Thanks Internaut - the mostly natural diffused interior lighting is perfect for photography.

Originally posted by kidslateinlife View Post
            Fantastic place, I could spend hours in there, just like an old tool shed. Lovely images, and I love the image with the carriages in particular. All great images though...... Best wishes............Alan
            It is a magnificently conceived preservation of Tasmania's rail heritage, Alan. Thanks for commenting.
            My Flickr

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
            The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
            On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill

Comment

Working...
            X