The Original Footbridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Original Footbridge

This is a sister post to the previous "Build a Bridge and Get Over It !" - I'm sure you'll agree that this old bridge's elegant engineering
    is unlikely to be matched by either of the two new footbridges under construction.

E-PL3 + m14-42mm kit lens - CS4 processed from out-of-camera LF jpegs
    My Flickr

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
    The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
    On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill

Re: The Original Footbridge

It is indeed a well-proportioned design. Just a shame that the modern elf'n'safety extras in the first shot weren't designed with the same aesthetic sense. Nicely captured as well.

What's going on in the third one, bottom right? Looks like a bloke wading in the river, but I can't make out the detail.

Ciao ... John

Comment

It had me baffled at first, it's simply a gumleaf at the end of that lowest branch ! You've been drinking, haven't you, John ?
      Anyways, won't ya join me for a pint or two at the local rubbidy, and we might see more men and maybe even a woman or two wading in the river, eh !

My Flickr

Comment

Nice series (both)....but why sink the punt........
        Keith

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68459774@N05

E500,E510 now dead,E520 (now retired),E600 and Grip,14-42,14-45,2x40-150,Sigmas 105 and 135-400 Now Dead..ex 25. Manfrotto 190. Plus lots of OM stuff.
        Now also 4 items from the dark side...........

Comment

As there's no one living to answer it, I asked myself the same question, Keith - being such a purpose specific vessel it probably didn't have much of a resale value if any ... the cheapest way to get rid of an unwanted ship is to sink it !
          My Flickr

Comment

Re: The Original Leaf-Gadgy

Originally posted by Bikie John View Post
            ...What's going on in the third one, bottom right? Looks like a bloke wading in the river, ...
            Yes! It looks like a tiny old bloke with a beard, holding the handle of a rake or spade. I see Jesus in toast!

Comment

Couldn't help but comment on the stunning colours Mark, especially the third of the first post.
              Regards Huw

Olympus equipment
              Capture One Pro
              My flickr

Comment

Are you stunned into agony, or ecstacy, Huw ?

I sometimes wonder whether the vibrancy of my processing, which I strive to achieve, is mostly a turn on or turn off.

Colour for me is addictive like chocolate, it's hard to know just when to stop.
                E-PL3 + SWD12-60mm
                My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by pandora View Post
                  Are you stunned into agony, or ecstacy, Huw ?

I sometimes wonder whether the vibrancy of my processing, which I strive to achieve, is mostly a turn on or turn off.

Colour for me is addictive like chocolate, it's hard to know just when to stop.
                  No for me the third shot hits the spot, it's how I imagine your part of the world to be
                  Regards Huw

Olympus equipment
                  Capture One Pro
                  My flickr

Comment

Thank you Huw, as an Aussie I am always interested in how others see us.
                    At school when I was quite young, Australian Poet, Dorothea Mackellar summed it up for me in her poem ...
                    My Flickr

Comment

I love the light in the bridge shots - over here we often have to make do with emphasising the misty, murky conditions we are faced with!

The poem you displayed ' The Colours of Light' is so evocative of Australia. I see the poet, Dorothea Mackellar, lived until she was 82/3 - I wonder what sort of age she was when she wrote those words?

Regards,
                      Ann1e

Comment

That bridge certainly has an elegance and charm which modern bridges sadly lack!
                        John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

I echo what the others have said great bridge and lovely colours. Must get to Oz on hols one day.
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

Originally posted by Ann1e View Post
                            I love the light in the bridge shots - over here we often have to make do with emphasising the misty, murky conditions we are faced with!

The poem you displayed ' The Colours of Light' is so evocative of Australia. I see the poet, Dorothea Mackellar, lived until she was 82/3 - I wonder what sort of age she was when she wrote those words?

Regards,
                            Ann1e
                            Hi Annie - We must have been very lucky the year we visited UK as for 8 whole weeks it was blue skies all the way through September - October.
                            An evocative English poem that conjures the misty, murky conditions you describe is NO! by Thomas Hood, which I love. If you are a poetry lover (which from the way you write I suspect you may be !) then you will of course be familiar with it and other works of Hood's.

I don't know what Age Dorothea Mackellar was when she penned, Colour of Light but at age 19 she wrote MY COUNTRY, the second verse of which is one of Australia's most well known, best loved and often quoted poems.

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
                            That bridge certainly has an elegance and charm which modern bridges sadly lack!
                            Originally posted by Phill D View Post
                            I echo what the others have said great bridge and lovely colours. Must get to Oz on hols one day.
                            John and Phill, thanks for commenting, and yes Phill, you must !
                            My Flickr

Comment

Great colours and composition in all of these. In spite of the aforementioned Elf and Safety features, #1 still works well (Edit: Surprised they never did that pun in the Harry Potter films).

Comment

Working...
                              X