Unsuitable Weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unsuitable Weather

Ive had a huge gallery clearout, and deleted over four hundred images so I am back under my new gallery quota again :-) I've tried to keep the newer "Village" threads intact, and my "Photoshop tricks" examples should still be there.

Anyway: Now I can upload some new work, and here are some pictures taken late this week on a day not designed fo photography, surely. It was a foggy start to the day, in fact it stayed like that all day long.
    There was so much fog, if you dug a hole you would have found fog in it.

Here's the village church guarded by it's tall trees.

A crow going about it's business: (This was intended to be a wire-and-fog picture, but I spotted the bird approaching over my shoulder, so I composed and got the focus and waited for it to appear in shot...)

Finally, the Elephant in the Room that spoils my shots usually. The high voltage transmission towers (don't call them pylons..) ruin many a view round here, but just now and then I am moved to put one in a shot.

In most cases I tried to get the exposure up by appropriate metering or exposure compensation - but I had to push them further towards white in CS3 to get a convincing foggy look.

Pete
    Look, I'm an old man. I shouldn't be expected to put up with this.

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.

Re: Unsuitable Weather

The foggy church is real good shot for me, its got bags of atmosphere, the fog works really well. The rest are a wee bit to densely hidden in the fog, but that's just my eye, not everyone's.
    Olympus E-5 / E-620(hld5) / E-410 with Zuiko's : 14-42mm f5.6 | 40-150mm f5.6 | 70-300mm f4 | 35mm Macro f3.5 | Sigma 50-500mm | Sigma 105mm Macro | FL-36r
    Macbook 2ghz/4gb/120gb/13.3"
    Lightroom/Photoshop CS5/Photomatix Pro 3.0
    www.dgpix.org.uk
    My Flickr

Comment

The church shot certainly works best because the closer proximity of the foreground trees creates a greater depth within the fog but all three have mood and atmosphere. Fog has a great effect on any scene, giving even mundane subjects a hint of mystery.
      John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
        Fog has a great effect on any scene, giving even mundane subjects a hint of mystery.
        Oh yes, absolutely
        Pete

Comment

#1 and #2 could have been taken here except that we haven't got a church in the village! However, the fog/mist was so thick that if you hadn't known the area there might have been a condominium out there. Like them all especially #1.
          Bob

To see what is in front of one's nose requires constant struggle.
          GEORGE ORWELL

Comment

Some nice eerie images there Pete.

Originally posted by snaarman View Post
            Ive had a huge gallery clearout, and deleted over four hundred images so I am back under my new gallery quota again

Pete
            God that must have been like pulling teeth unless you have discovered a way to do selective multiple deletes.
            Regards Paul.
            One day I hope to be the person my dogs think I am.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/

Comment

Love the Church shot although, like Danny, the others are perhaps a little too vague for me. No mist or fog here in Lincolnshire today, just bl**dy rain and sleet - forecast is good for tomorrow so far.

Regards

David
              PBase Galleries:-http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

Comment

Originally posted by OlyPaul View Post
                ...that must have been like pulling teeth unless you have discovered a way to do selective multiple deletes.
                Nope, sorry. It took me four hundred days..

Comment

Excellent set as always Pete!

Originally posted by David Morison View Post
                  like Danny, the others are perhaps a little too vague for me.
                  I was actually wondering what this would look like if you "fogged out" the hedgerow and were just left with bird, wire and pole disappearing into the mist...
                  GX7, EP3, 9-18, 14-45, 45-150, 20 1.7, 25 1.4, 45 1.8, FL36 & various OM glass. flickr

Comment

Working...
                  X