Dissatisfied With My Photography

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dissatisfied With My Photography

I managed to force myself out of the house for a short walk today. No excuses, it was a lovely afternoon. I even took a camera, the E-P3.

Inspiration was sadly lacking but I took a couple of shots, just for the sake of it really. Predictably they were mundane and mediocre.

Is it any wonder I feel like giving up, when I look back to pictures I used to take like these?

John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Re: Dissatisfied With My Photography

.............." Predictably they were mundane and mediocre."..........

NO They just got better as i scrolled down.And started off good !!
    Keith

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68459774@N05

E500,E510 now dead,E520 (now retired),E600 and Grip,14-42,14-45,2x40-150,Sigmas 105 and 135-400 Now Dead..ex 25. Manfrotto 190. Plus lots of OM stuff.
    Now also 4 items from the dark side...........

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
      I
      Inspiration was sadly lacking but I took a couple of shots, just for the sake of it really. Predictably they were mundane and mediocre.
      T'is easy to feel a lack of inspiration, as enthused as I am to learn, I sometimes think there are only so many squirrels I can shoot, or if I get any more shot's of the kids, someone will scream.
      Everyone feel's the same, in all walks of life. Our passion's rely on variety, and when you find variety, you will undoubtedly feel very grateful that you know how to make the most of it.
      Therein lies the issue, we have to get the variety, so don't blame the camera or your enthusiasm.
      Love that shot of the sea and the timbers.......

Best Regards... Alan
      Blackadder: "Allow me to be the first to offer Dr. Johnson my most sincere contrafibularities! I am anaspeptic, frasmotic, even compunctuous to have caused him such pericombobulation."

Comment

It's easy to feel jaded from time to time, as I do also. Luckily we're not pros, when you have to take inspiring shots day in day out nomatter what mood.
        Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

I suppose I'm no different from anyone else. It just depresses me to think that trips to locations like the last two pictures will in future be very few and far between. The first two pictures, from today, make me wonder if this is all the future holds. Of course, it's down to me to seek inspiration wherever I happen to be and forcing myself out of bed before dawn would be a good start, but even so there is still a limit to how many muddy tracks and silhouetted trees at sunrise I can take.
          John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

But John, aren't you lucky to have your beautiful photos to look back on?
            And that extra-special shot is just out there waiting for you tomorrow you know.
            The thrill is in the chase.
            And that is enough philosophy so early in the morning - I have to go and take some photos!

Comment

Originally posted by ringneck View Post
              .............." Predictably they were mundane and mediocre."..........

NO They just got better as i scrolled down.And started off good !!
              I agree with this.

I also looked at your shots from today from a different perspective.

No 1 is infinitely more interesting than Andreas Gursky's "Rhein 11" which sold for 2.7m.
              e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17720

With the right "Arty****ocks" description it could fetch more.

No 2 I like a lot. IMHO it's an interesting composition of an otherwise mundane subject that someone without your eye for a picture would miss. Your skills developed over the years enable you to make great images out of anything.Maybe different from what you've done in the past but providing great scope to develop in new directions.

Best wishes.
              Peter

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
              OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
              Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.

Comment

I think photographing something completely different, to anything that you have ever done before, may well be an approach to finding satisfaction.

Look back to when you first started taking pictures, and retrace the steps you took to improve to the high standards you achieved, but do it with a completely new subject, style, technique, etc...

Last year I had a shoot go really bad and gave up on working with people for a while. I took a very simple subject (an egg) and experimented with all manner of setups, lenses, lighting, etc., etc., etc... I went back to what I enjoy most about photography, which is so much cheaper now with digital, and redeveloped ideas and techniques that I had not used for years.

Simply "playing" with the toys and pushing the extreames of the capabilities of the kit is for me very satisfying. When something good is produced, that's the bonus.

To often, we do the same thing, hoping for a different outcome and are dissapointed when it doesn't happen.
                Change is inevitable - Have fun with it
                Last edited by Graham_of_Rainham; 3rd March 2012, 11:48 PM. Reason: speelin erras
                Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

We all get this syndome at some time.

I am still moderately fit, and still have a job. This is good, and I am deeply grateful, if rather worn down and tired these days.

However that means I can only go out looking for pictures during lunch breaks, and if we are busy then no lunch break, 'cos work takes priority over a wonderful sunny day.. Grrr

I would say stick with it: I managed to fill a thread here with shots from the same farm lane last year, and I could only get out of the office now and then.

Try macro, try being inventive with flash, Try long exposure stuff, any stuff that you can do with the gear you already have. Every now and then you will surprise yourself. Well, that's how it works for me
                  Pete

edit Oh, and shot #2 is great BTW :-)
                  Look, I'm an old man. I shouldn't be expected to put up with this.

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.

Comment

Actually I think the second shot is rather good.

And Pete (Snaarman) is an exemplar of what can be done by being observant within a limited geography.

I'm no stranger to your current mood.

Perhaps it's time to visit a Library and take out books on different photographic styles. If you can't photograph what you want then maybe it's time to really learn how to photograph what you can.

Nick
                    Last edited by Nick Temple-Fry; 4th March 2012, 04:13 PM.
                    Nick Temple-Fry

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
                    www.temple-fry.co.uk

Comment

Others here have pointed to the cure for an affliction that from to time affects us all.

Change the focus from the big picture to that which lies within it, the world of macro where monstrous creatures and an unfamiliar universe lies awaiting to be explored, John.
                      My Flickr

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
                      The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
                      On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill

Comment

Well, considering all you did was go for a walk from your house, John, I think you made the most of the available subject matter. The other shots were taken at more exotic venues after all

And shooting in bright sunshine is, as you know, quite limiting. So I think you did just fine yesterday.

Ian
                        Founder and editor of:
                        Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
                        Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
                        Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
                        Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                        Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                        Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
                        NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
                        sigpic

Comment

#3 is very very stunning.
                          Terry
                          Canberra - The Nation's Capital
                          E-620 plus stuff

Comment

Originally posted by snaarman View Post
                            We all get this syndome at some time.

I am still moderately fit, and still have a job. This is good, and I am deeply grateful, if rather worn down and tired these days.

However that means I can only go out looking for pictures during lunch breaks, and if we are busy then no lunch break, 'cos work takes priority over a wonderful sunny day.. Grrr

I would say stick with it: I managed to fill a thread here with shots from the same farm lane last year, and I could only get out of the office now and then.

Try macro, try being inventive with flash, Try long exposure stuff, any stuff that you can do with the gear you already have. Every now and then you will surprise yourself. Well, that's how it works for me
                            Pete

edit Oh, and shot #2 is great BTW :-)
                            Have to just echo what's said here. Might surprise you to think I'm getting bored of shooting naked ladies in the studio. Just last week I managed to do a little urban exploration. Shooting in natural light, or with off camera flash, gave me the biggest buzz I've had in ages. Shooting old books full of dust in a derelict building was a real treat for me.
                            Sometimes it's just shooting something different that makes it worth while.
                            E500 - E600 - E620 - HLD5 x2 - 17.5-45mm - 14-42mm - 14-45mm - Sigma 30mm f1.4 - 25mm f2.8 - 40-150mmMI (3.5) - Sirius 60-300mm f4-5.6 - Chinon 55mm f1.4 - Chinon 200mm f3.5 - FL50 - FL36 - Raynox DCR2020PRO

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photonutter/

Comment

Sometimes things do become a bit run of the mill, but something will spark the creative talents again.
                              Its funny I was the same a few months ago, then my wife signed us both up to a photography course at the local college. To start with it was mundane, aperture shutter speed, ISO I've known about these things for almost 40 years, but after the fundamentals were out of the way I was soon forced out of my comfort zone, in a studio, weekend projects, taking pictures of things that wouldn't normally interest me. Some were good some not so good but I have come out of loving my photography even more. I have somehow redined my picture taking, not just landscape like before, I am seeing pictures everywhere and carrying a camera everywhere again.
                              I have even bought a OM film camera and a couple of black and white films for a future project.
                              I have loads of projects lined up and can't wait for the weather to improve so I can get outside again.
                              Till then going to Focus on Wednesday.

Comment

Working...
                              X