Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Nearly Ready To Move In

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nearly Ready To Move In

At last. After a year of watching our new visitor centre at Abberton Reservoir wildlife reserve slowly being built it's nearly ready for us to move in. We were supposed to move in before Christmas but you all know how building projects go.
    We now have access to the building and the electricity is on so colleagues are assembling and modifying furniture and shop displays etc. We don't yet have WATER! Yes it's on the biggest reservoir in the county but the company who own it supply the other half of the county and the company who supply the local area have to wait for the road diversion and reconstruction, which is part of the project before they can connect us.Building project mysteries again. BT connecting the telephones is an even greater mystery.

Anyway, this week I got the chance to go up and photograph the new centre and very impressive it is. The latest plan (hope) is to open to the public in February.

The new building whch is approached via a small causeway over a pond.

There is a large pond next to the building and a deck which overhangs it.
    This shot makes it look like a cruise liner.

This is the entrance and shop area taken from a storage space on top of the Education officer's classroom. There is a similar storage space on top of the offices to the left of the entrance door.

Here's the classroom with the loft ladder access to the storage space. The circular "light fittings" are "sun pipes" which by mirrors or fibre optics or some such magic bring daylight in and very effective they are.

We even have a deluxe kitchen.WOW!

This is the viewng area. The wood burning stove on the right is a backup to the main heating system which heats the floor by extracting heat from underground using a heat pump. Very "eco friendly"

Finally,the view from the viewing area over the deck and pond to the great expanse of the reservoir.

Sorry for a long post but if you've got this far,
    thanks for looking.

Regards
    Peter

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
    OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
    Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.

The new building whch is approached via a small causeway over a pond.

We could do with a similar one at Sandwell Valley RSPB ....as the last one was burnt down.
    There's a hide built on the corner of the lake and we have to go through a heavy metal gate but the access is only limited...I think just when volunteers are around.
    A poor set of circumstances but probably typical of having it in an "unsavoury" area.
    I wonder if the big one in London has this trouble.
    Keith

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68459774@N05

E500,E510 now dead,E520 (now retired),E600 and Grip,14-42,14-45,2x40-150,Sigmas 105 and 135-400 Now Dead..ex 25. Manfrotto 190. Plus lots of OM stuff.
    Now also 4 items from the dark side...........

Comment

Peter

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
      OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.

Comment

Re: Nearly Ready To Move In

Looks like a very good building Peter, I look forward to visiting it when I move to Essex this year some time.
        Just a question re heat pumps. Are they really eco friendly? As I understand, the heat is extracted from deep in the earth, used on the surface and then like all used heat, dissipates to the atmosphere.
        My question is, if the heat is leaving the depth of the earth, it will cool down, thus upsetting the balance?
        Maybe someone with better understanding has an answer?
        sigpicDave

Comment

Peter

Looks great.Not to far for me, I'll have to try a pop and see you later this year.
          All the best

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by sapper View Post
            Looks like a very good building Peter, I look forward to visiting it when I move to Essex this year some time.
            Just a question re heat pumps. Are they really eco friendly? As I understand, the heat is extracted from deep in the earth, used on the surface and then like all used heat, dissipates to the atmosphere.
            My question is, if the heat is leaving the depth of the earth, it will cool down, thus upsetting the balance?
            Maybe someone with better understanding has an answer?
            Thanks Dave. We'd be very pleased to welcome you when you become an "Essex boy" or even before. What part of Essex are you moving to?.

Heat pumps are one of the most efficient heating systems there are and are certainly eco-friendly.They rely on the fact that the temperature of the ground at depths of 7m or more are constant at 10-16deg C depending on the local climate.Apparently the heat at this depth is derived from solar heating, not geothermal energy from the earth's core so there is no risk of us cooling the Earth. There are some good articles on Wikepedia which explain it better than I can. Interestingly in the summer the process can be reversed and used for air conditioning.I remember many years ago, when I worked for Marconi's our development manager tried to design such a system but he didn't go deep enough and ended up with a permafrost lawn.

Regards
            Peter

OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterBirder View Post
              Thanks Dave. We'd be very pleased to welcome you when you become an "Essex boy" or even before. What part of Essex are you moving to?.

Heat pumps are one of the most efficient heating systems there are and are certainly eco-friendly.They rely on the fact that the temperature of the ground at depths of 7m or more are constant at 10-16deg C depending on the local climate.Apparently the heat at this depth is derived from solar heating, not geothermal energy from the earth's core so there is no risk of us cooling the Earth. There are some good articles on Wikepedia which explain it better than I can. Interestingly in the summer the process can be reversed and used for air conditioning.I remember many years ago, when I worked for Marconi's our development manager tried to design such a system but he didn't go deep enough and ended up with a permafrost lawn.

Regards
              Ahhhhh, I see Peter, thanks for the explanation.
              We are moving to Eastwood, Leigh on Sea, although the sea is miles away from our new home I call it Southend on Sea but her indoors, an Essex girl, don't like that
              sigpicDave

Comment

Originally posted by andym View Post
                Peter

Looks great.Not to far for me, I'll have to try a pop and see you later this year.
                Hi Andy.
                We'd be very happy to welcome you.

It occurs to me that although it's perhaps not a very varied location, photographically speaking currently there is some added interest from the reservoir expansion project (which will not be complete until 2014) and we could plan an e-group meet when we are settled into the new centre. John (Zuiko) has visited a few times and could perhaps give an opinion on this. If folks are interested I'd be happy to organise something.

Regards
                Peter

OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.

Comment

Originally posted by sapper View Post
                  Ahhhhh, I see Peter, thanks for the explanation.
                  We are moving to Eastwood, Leigh on Sea, although the sea is miles away from our new home I call it Southend on Sea but her indoors, an Essex girl, don't like that
                  Quite right, Leigh on Sea is the posh end (although it's still in "sarf" Essex).
                  Up here in rural north Essex we're a bit more laid back.

Regards
                  Peter

OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterBirder View Post
                    Hi Andy.
                    We'd be very happy to welcome you.

It occurs to me that although it's perhaps not a very varied location, photographically speaking currently there is some added interest from the reservoir expansion project (which will not be complete until 2014) and we could plan an e-group meet when we are settled into the new centre. John (Zuiko) has visited a few times and could perhaps give an opinion on this. If folks are interested I'd be happy to organise something.

Regards
                    Water, water everywhere but not a drop to drink!

An E-Group meet is an excellent idea, I was just thinking along the same lines as I read down to your post, Peter. We'll get something arranged once there is a definite date for the new centre to open!
                    John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
                      An E-Group meet is an excellent idea, I was just thinking along the same lines as I read down to your post, Peter. We'll get something arranged once there is a definite date for the new centre to open!
                      Thanks for that John. I was a little concerned that my involvement at Abberton might bias my view of the merit of a meet there. Your more "detatched" opinion is much appreciated.

I will keep you advised of progress re. opening of the new centre.

Regards
                      Peter

OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.

Comment

Sapper, reference the heat pumps and the heat they draw out of the ground, it is minimal and to assist this, most modern houses using the process also have heat recovery systems.

One of my friends has built such a house in France recently and last year his total heating bill was €27!

Here's a link to the recovery system idea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_recovery_ventilation

For me I've just installed a log burner with a back boiler, but long term I also plan to use Air source heating, and use them alongside each other to provide reasonably cheap and efficient heating.

Comment

Working...
                        X