X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St Thomas' Church, East Shefford

Another from Pete's backyard - or almost

E-3, 11-22

Those unfamiliar with interesting redundant churches might like this site http://www.visitchurches.org.uk/Ourc...ord-Berkshire/ (surprisingly they are showing their picture of the church flipped E-W).

Nick
    Nick Temple-Fry

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
    www.temple-fry.co.uk

Re: St Thomas' Church, East Shefford

I rather like these - the soft tones and shadows work well.

Regards. Barr1e
    Just like that - gone in a flash! Now in use.

Comment

What a fantastic building, well caught, as always.

How do you find them??

Pete
      Look, I'm an old man. I shouldn't be expected to put up with this.

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.

Comment

Another excellent capture, Nick. Also another site to put on my own visit list!

Andrew

Comment

Yet more output Nick and excellent with it, the lighting is superb.
          I really like the balance and the light casting subtle shadows from the leadwork on the walls.
          Regards Huw

Olympus equipment
          Capture One Pro
          My flickr

Comment

Originally posted by snaarman View Post
            What a fantastic building, well caught, as always.

How do you find them??

Pete
            Ordinance Survey mainly; with perhaps some light browsing of Flikr, particularly at this time of the year when I need the church to be open to southern light. But I've yet to find an old church which hasn't been interesting to photograph.

But basically I bumble around, into villages I thought I knew because I drove past them. It's a great excuse for wandering.

Thanks All, glad these worked, the light this late in the year is quite challenging.

Nick
            Nick Temple-Fry

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
            www.temple-fry.co.uk

Comment

I think these are great too. The detail is superb and you did a great job of exposing the interiors without blowing out the window highlights. If I attempt a church such as this I usually seem to blow the window detail out or the church is underexposed. Did you do any HDR work on these or are they just one exposure?
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

like this one a lot, are there many unused churches about?
                Ed

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?

Comment

Always lie your shots, Nick, but this church really took my eye. How beautiful.
                  John

Comment

Originally posted by Phill D View Post
                    I think these are great too. The detail is superb and you did a great job of exposing the interiors without blowing out the window highlights. If I attempt a church such as this I usually seem to blow the window detail out or the church is underexposed. Did you do any HDR work on these or are they just one exposure?
                    My church interiors are nearly always HDR, in this case 10 ( for the first shot) and 9 (for the second) exposures. Processed via tone mapping in Photomatix. Nowadays I prefer exposure fusion - but tone mapping copes best with the very large exposure range, but with a cost to colour accuracy.

Originally posted by Wee man View Post
                    like this one a lot, are there many unused churches about?
                    Most Counties have several, the visit churches link above will take you to a list.

Originally posted by theMusicMan View Post
                    Always lie your shots, Nick, but this church really took my eye. How beautiful.
                    Thank you John

Thanks all

Nick
                    Nick Temple-Fry

www.temple-fry.co.uk

Comment

That's a very nice church, the wall painting is beautiful.

I won't bother saying "well captured", Nick & church with well-captured is a tautology.
                      John

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Flickr gallery

Comment

Wonderful pictures....I don't think we appreciate the buildings we have around us....I travel extensively around Suffolk with my work, and the number of old Churches amazes me.. Must try and capture some inside shots rather than outside...

Pete
                        OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
                        I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
                        www.flickr.com/photos/141996687@N02/

Comment

Thanks Nick, HDR is something else I still need to try.
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

Nick - have you ever been to Imber? It's probably not that far from you.

Imber is what remains of a small village in the north-western part of Salisbury Plain which was taken over for military training during the war and the residents evacuated. Controversially they were never allowed back, there is plenty about it across the web. That whole area of the Plain is military land and normally public access is not allowed. I just spotted in our local paper that the two roads across the Plain are open from 4pm tomorrow (Friday 16th Dec) to 8am on 3rd Jan.

There is a church in the village, St Giles. But I don't know how near you can get to it - you are not supposed to go off the roads, and there are various signs warning you that things might explode if you do, which are quite an encouragement to follow the rules.

Ciao ... John

Comment

Originally posted by Bikie John View Post
                              Nick - have you ever been to Imber? It's probably not that far from you.

Imber is what remains of a small village in the north-western part of Salisbury Plain which was taken over for military training during the war and the residents evacuated. Controversially they were never allowed back, there is plenty about it across the web. That whole area of the Plain is military land and normally public access is not allowed. I just spotted in our local paper that the two roads across the Plain are open from 4pm tomorrow (Friday 16th Dec) to 8am on 3rd Jan.

There is a church in the village, St Giles. But I don't know how near you can get to it - you are not supposed to go off the roads, and there are various signs warning you that things might explode if you do, which are quite an encouragement to follow the rules.

Ciao ... John
                              Thans for the heads-up about the plain roads, though in truth I'm not sure I'll get to try them.

Imber church is open - they still hold occaisional services there - http://www.imberchurch.org.uk/. Never actually been there - so I've stuck a note on my planner.

Originally posted by Rocknroll59 View Post
                              Wonderful pictures....I don't think we appreciate the buildings we have around us....I travel extensively around Suffolk with my work, and the number of old Churches amazes me.. Must try and capture some inside shots rather than outside...

Pete
                              Not going into the churches of Suffolk is a crime, there are lots of fine and ornate structures.

Thanks All

Nick
                              Nick Temple-Fry

www.temple-fry.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X