Burrell Collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burrell Collection

I could bore you rigid with the detail of this - but I won't. Suffice to say Glasgow had a museum set in a beautiful country park that looks like a glass bunker. It's hideous. But the charms lie within. Burrull was an eclectic collector who left his collection to the city on the precise instruction it couldn't be shown until the city build a purpose built museum for it. Here's the building

But here's what's inside.
    Stained Glass

Degas - there a room full of Degas and Cezanne's

But it leaks

If you are in Glasgow - go see the Burrell - it amazing what a rich man can collect.
    Jamie

Re: Burrell Collection

Oh by the way courtesy or Harbrimar I've got an E-3. It feels like my right arm has been sown back on.
    Jamie

Comment

Originally posted by jamie allan View Post
      Oh by the way courtesy or Harbrimar I've got an E-3. It feels like my right arm has been sown back on.
      Good for you Jamie - glad you got yourself 'sorted'.

The colour and clarity in those stained glass images is fantastic, especially the first one.
      Steve

E-M1 Mk II, E-5, E-510, 9-18mm f4-5.6, 14-54mm f2.8-3.5 II, 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 SWD, 5omm f2, EC-14, 14-42mm, 40-150mm, Velbon GEO E640L/PHD64Q, METZ 48 AF-1

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stoates/

Comment

Welcome back to the camera owning club Jamie

The stained glass is lovely.

Comment

Thanks Steve and Chris. The building has a large section of the west wall as glass and they've hung stained glass sections against the glass. So the illumination through the panes is daylight - particularly in the afternoons. It gives a completely different hue to the colours I think. The east side of the building is also glass but looking onto a wooded wilderness. They have the Egyptian and Far Eastern collection there and that again is something else with life size ceramic figures against a wooded background. It's a pity the building can't withstand the elements though. The room full of Degas and Cezannes would probably pay for that to be put right.
          Jamie

Comment

Jamie
            I love the stained glass images - great colours.
            Congratulations on receiving a 'new right arm', I'm sure you'll be very happy together
            Iain
            Iain

E-M1, E-M1 II, E-M5 II, 7.5, 8-18, 12-40, 25, 40-150, 45, 60, 300

Website
            Flickr

Comment

Congrats on getting the E3, it's actually what your right arms for. That museum with stained glass and old paintings is certainly a bit of an odd mix. The roof must be giving someone sleepless nights.
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

It's certainly an fine gallery. I think Glasgow tops Edinburgh for a Scottish city to visit if you want to see artworks. Of the UK galleries I've visited, the Kelvin's my favourite. It's got a great atmosphere on a wet Sunday and Dali's Christ of St John to boot.

And there's the wonderful Glasgow School of Art as well. Pity the Burrell building is on the opposite end of the architectural goodness scale.

Thanks for posting and reminding me to get back up there.
                John

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Flickr gallery

Comment

Things I remember about the Burrell were the Chinese bronze objects including a crossbow (not all bronze) ... but Kelvin grove (as John's mentioned) in Glasgow is a lot more to my taste.
                  I don't remember the glass-house bunkery bit so they've moved the collection, right?

Comment

John/Ulfric,
                    I agree with you I think the collection is great - it's so all encompassing. To have so much money you could buy whatever took your fancy is mind boggling. My favourites are the stained glass and the jade collection. Unfortunately the jade is really hard to photograph without the use of flash. Kelvingrove is what a museum building should look like - a 100 year old building with roof towers - though the Dali was stuck in an out of the way place since the revamp of the museum.
                    Ulfric,
                    The collection has only been displayed in this museum - that was a stipulation of the legacy. It was built in 1983. The entrance is on the higher part of the hill through a 16th century sandstone arched doorway so you don't see the glass bit above as you go in. Despite not liking the building itself I do think the use of natural light works really well. Pity they can't fix the roof though - in December 2009 we were evacuated out of the building during a snowstorm as the staff were worried about the build up of snow on the glass roof.
                    Jamie

Comment

[quote=jamie allan;139779]... - though the Dali was stuck in an out of the way place since the revamp of the museum....quote]
                      I've seen the Dali in 3 placs now. The first was in the 6o's, if I recall correctly it was angled on a balcony wall and I came across it unexpectedly. It was quite a moment! Then, much later, it was at St Mungo's in what I thought was a totally unsuitable position. The last time was early this year, I can't remember exactly where in the museum it was, but it didn't seem nearly as impressive as it did on the balcony.
                      John

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Flickr gallery

Comment

Sad to see it's still leaking. We had a wooden cutlery box on loan to them which got badly water damaged. It took them 2 years and many thousands of pounds to restore it. We only got it back earlier this year.
                        Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

Originally posted by jamie allan View Post
                          ...It was built in 1983. The entrance is on the higher part of the hill through a 16th century sandstone arched doorway so you don't see the glass bit above as you go in. ...
                          Oh right.
                          I think I must've gone there in around 1987 so definitely the same place.
                          The lgiht is great inside.

Comment

Working...
                          X