4000 year old photographic problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4000 year old photographic problem

I don't think I've ever posted anything about this site before. There is a rock hidden in Lemmington woods, tucked into a clump of Rhododendrons, on the crest of a hill, in a damp dark forest. It's got a cup and ring mark carved on it, probably late stone age/early bronze age, together with some runes from our Anglian ancestors. The runes are rare enough, but next to a cup and ring mark is pretty special. (info here)

It's a right proper swine to photograph, I've tried for years. It needs side light to bring out the features, but the carvings are on the rounded top of the rock and the ground falls away. Using my 6 foot flash cord I managed to get the flash on a tripod, about 7 feet up, a little above the level of the carvings and me wedged against a slimy ash tree standing on Rhody branches to keep them out of the way. What a pantomime, the tripod kept falling over, I kept slipping etc etc.

With a bit of PP to even out the light this is my best effort.

It's not very sharp. I now need to go back with a more suitable lens, that was the 50mmF2. Also, I think, I need the flash tied to a pole. Maybe even some steps.
    John

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Flickr gallery

Re: 4000 year old photographic problem

Interesting find and story (link); thanks for sharing!
    If you go back to take an other shot, please consider some sort of scale bar, so we get an idea of the actual size of it. I would also try to do a set of 3D-photos. That should help to bring out the carvings really well.
    I am not afraid of Tits

Comment

Originally posted by Falk View Post
      ... I would also try to do a set of 3D-photos. That should help to bring out the carvings really well.
      Do you have any info on the kind of 3D photos you mean? Maybe a tutorial link? Sounds like an intersting idea.
      John

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

Flickr gallery

Comment

John can to post the exact location somehow?
        If I'm anywhere near someday I'd like to have a look.

Comment

The OS grid ref is NU 12929 10811. Trouble is, I'm not sure if GPS will work because of the woodland canopy, and it isn't easy to describe where it is other than to say it's a pretty nondescript hump of rock, not near an obious path, in dense Sitka woodland that's in the process of being thinned. We can have a trip up if you like, so long as it isn't hoying it down.
          John

Flickr gallery

Comment

John,
            it's quite simple to do the 3D-thing from static objects with digital cameras. All you have to do is, to take two pics from your subject, but just a few centimeters appart (usually eye distance). This will give you a slight angle between both pics, from which the brains will later 'calculate' the 3D vision effect.

It's so easy with digital because you don't have to have a hardcopy of your photos (but thats a possibility too, of course), but you can process the files with some Stereo programm like Stereo Photo Maker at no additional costs or waiting for prints to arrive.
            This neat little programm has several options to chose for your final product like red-cyan Anaglyphs, to be viewed with red-cyan glasses, or side-by-side stereo images which provide a separate image for each eye, like the old Holmes stereo cards etc.

and some links for you: 3D Link List
            www.stereoscopy.com
            I am not afraid of Tits

Comment

Originally posted by jdal View Post
              Do you have any info on the kind of 3D photos you mean? Maybe a tutorial link? Sounds like an intersting idea.
              Pete (Snaarman) described a method he uses in his Photoshop Tips and Tricks thread:

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10943
              Paul

Comment

Yes, I still tinker with Anaglyphs on occasions, more as a novelty really. But they can give quite a strong 3D effect. Green foliage and rocks work well. Blue skies are not so good:

(Red cyan glasses, red on the left)

Pete
                Look, I'm an old man. I shouldn't be expected to put up with this.

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by jdal View Post
                  The OS grid ref is NU 12929 10811. Trouble is, I'm not sure if GPS will work because of the woodland canopy, and it isn't easy to describe where it is other than to say it's a pretty nondescript hump of rock, not near an obious path, in dense Sitka woodland that's in the process of being thinned. We can have a trip up if you like, so long as it isn't hoying it down.
                  So just north of the road coming out west from Alnwick.
                  Next time we're going up there I'll definitely give you a ring for more details and see if you're free.
                  I've made a map, but finding the stone on my own looks impossible.

(This doesn't work but ... I used it to find the spot ;
                  http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/mapple...ef_mapplet.xml )

Comment

Working...
                  X