A couple of Show Jumping shots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple of Show Jumping shots

We had a lovely day out at Dumfries Agricultural Show today The forecast was for heavy rain but despite overcast conditions it stayed largely dry until the late afternoon.

Piccy opportunities were limited, for me, but I managed a few of the show jumping just before the rain came down.

Greg
    My Flickr Home Page

Re: A couple of Show Jumping shots

Missed these was just doing my weekly look at unanswered posts and found it these are nice shots and I am not a horse person.
    Ed

Live life in the slow lane.

Comment

Great timing.Were these shot as single frames or as a burst?

Well done.
      All the best

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr

Comment

Cheers Ed and Andy

Burst mode was utilised Andy and to great effect Tried a couple without it and discovered that each horse approaches the fences differently - some seem to stall slightly just in front of the fence while others are up and over before you know it

Took these with the E30 and 14 -54. Aperture was f4 and iso 400. I pre-focused on the centre of the top rail when the horse was approaching and lifted camera with finger on button as they jumped. I thought f4 would have thrown more blur into the background but it seems not

Greg
        My Flickr Home Page

Comment

Great shots Greg, I like the low angle and you captured the peak of the action perfectly.
          Regards Paul.
          One day I hope to be the person my dogs think I am.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/

Comment

Thanks very much Paul

Greg
            My Flickr Home Page

Comment

Greg terrific shots, Horse and Hound would print these, they are so good !

I LURVE 1 most - that magnificant grey mare, looking ahead and just getting on with the job, a kind eye and honest ear, relaxed. Beautifully presented with plaited mane and generally well groomed. Front legs and feet well tucked up under it. About to Bascule bringing the hend quarters and legs over to a balanced landing.

The rider in textbook position, leg by the girth in balanced position; the reains "bridged" over the neck, thus allowing the horse its head (to balance correcting in the air and Bascule) and looking left to the next fence as that is the riders job now, presenting this mare right at the next fence to take off.

2. Is a great shot - BEAUTIFUL horse - if it were me I would not be too happy, as Riders legs are too far back, therefore the rider is not in balance his seat is less stable for landing this horse is showing a lot of "white eye" and is biting on the bit and its ears are not relaxed - maybe it is spooked by your presence thats tough

My money would be on 1. winning ! and it looks like an AIT course (qualifier for Olympia)

I would have 1 on my wall - it would be a lovely linen box print

Thanks for sharing - I suddenly realise I miss my horses
              [I].
              I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
              Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album

Comment

Great shots Greg, I have a few questions if I may, as I have done something similar back a few weeks ago and didn't manage to do as well as you did.

1: I would say you were quite close to that fence using the 14-54, so roughly how close were you as I do see some cropping was done?

2: Did you shoot .jpg or raw ?

3: On the first image I notice you have that image geotagged in the EXIF data how did you do that?

I have the same gear E-30, & 14-54 etc. so just looking for pointers is a all, the pre-focus worked out quite well.
                10% Off Any Zenfolio Subscription - ZR4-GXW-P2R.
                E-30+HLD-4 | E-510 | ZD14-42 | ZD14-54 MkII | ZD40-150 | ZD50-200 | ZD35 | OM 50/1.8 | FL-36R

Comment

Originally posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
                  Greg terrific shots, Horse and Hound would print these, they are so good !

I LURVE 1 most - that magnificant grey mare, looking ahead and just getting on with the job, a kind eye and honest ear, relaxed. Beautifully presented with plaited mane and generally well groomed. Front legs and feet well tucked up under it. About to Bascule bringing the hend quarters and legs over to a balanced landing.

The rider in textbook position, leg by the girth in balanced position; the reains "bridged" over the neck, thus allowing the horse its head (to balance correcting in the air and Bascule) and looking left to the next fence as that is the riders job now, presenting this mare right at the next fence to take off.

2. Is a great shot - BEAUTIFUL horse - if it were me I would not be too happy, as Riders legs are too far back, therefore the rider is not in balance his seat is less stable for landing this horse is showing a lot of "white eye" and is biting on the bit and its ears are not relaxed - maybe it is spooked by your presence thats tough

My money would be on 1. winning ! and it looks like an AIT course (qualifier for Olympia)

I would have 1 on my wall - it would be a lovely linen box print

Thanks for sharing - I suddenly realise I miss my horses
                  Thanks for all those lovely comments Chevvy

It was my first time attending a show jumping event and it was really good to watch I have a few more shots that I have been working on and will post them later along with a heart wrenching story unfortunately.

Thanks again

Greg
                  My Flickr Home Page

Comment

Originally posted by iMac View Post
                    Great shots Greg, I have a few questions if I may, as I have done something similar back a few weeks ago and didn't manage to do as well as you did.

1: I would say you were quite close to that fence using the 14-54, so roughly how close were you as I do see some cropping was done?

2: Did you shoot .jpg or raw ?

3: On the first image I notice you have that image geotagged in the EXIF data how did you do that?

I have the same gear E-30, & 14-54 etc. so just looking for pointers is a all, the pre-focus worked out quite well.

Thanks iMac

I was roughly 3 - 4 metres from the jump and shot both raw and jpeg. The shots above are from raw conversions.

With regards to geotagging I honestly do not have a clue Perhaps some tags have carried across from photoshop?

Interestingly there was an official event photographer in the arena using a huge big beast of a lens all wrapped up in its own cagoul. She was taking shots of riders as they jumped over a fence that would have been at least 30 plus metres from where she was standing. I would have loved to see some of her shots

If there is anything else I can help with please let me know

Cheers

Greg
                    My Flickr Home Page

Comment

I took all these shots at fence 10 which led into a big treble. My last two shots are below and unfortunately this poor pair had a very nasty accident on the middle section of the treble. Two of the poles came down catching one of the horses front legs between them. It was immediately apparent that the leg was broken......

Although I don't know who the rider was, I have made contact with a couple of friends who do, to see if he would like to have these shots.

I have never had a lump in my throat like that for a long time and as for Lesley. She was distraught. Such a shame.

Greg
                      My Flickr Home Page

Comment

These are excellent pictures, not only freezing the action but also well composed/well cropped. The low perspective adds drama.
                        /Tord

My Gallery on 500px

Comment

Greg even more GREAT SHOTS ! You really have got your position spot on to capture of the full frame of very large horses and, your angle is superb !

I am very very sorry to hear you sad news and I am sure the rider and owner will be very happy to receive copy of your fab shots !

Its a shame not every Show uses the lightweight poles - the old 6" rounds are very heavy and the accident you describe was relatively common, (that is having two poles down and usually one going either side of the leg) ... but not the fatel injury !
                          [I].
                          I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
                          Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album

Comment

Fab shots Greg, spot on timing and exposure, well done
                            E-M10 Mk2 - 14-42mm EZ - 40-150mm ED - Falcon 8mm Fisheye - FL-36R

Wedding Photography Wales | Commercial Photography | Party Photographer Cardiff | Cheap Business Cards | Photoshop Training Cardiff

Comment

Thanks Tordan, Steve and Chevvy

Chevvy, lightweight poles could have made all the difference. I have never attended a show jumping event before so it is all new to me.

Greg
                              My Flickr Home Page

Comment

Working...
                              X