Hummingbird Hawk Moth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hummingbird Hawk Moth

I hadn't seen the long proboscis until I looked at the shot on the computer.

The dunes and flatland in the N of Holy Island are absolutely alive with wildlife at the moment if you're in the area.
    John

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Flickr gallery

Re: Hummingbird Hawk Moth

Very well caught.I love the colour of Bugloss which also adds to your picture.
    All the best

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr

Comment

Very nice image John.
      Good strong colours, nice composition and what a great extra catching moth and the proboscis in focus.
      Well done!
      Jeremy

More gear than I need, less gear than I want!

Comment

Excellent capture and composition. I often see them around my garden but never seem to have the camera out of it's bag or the right lens on. Well done!

David
        PBase Galleries:-http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

Comment

A great shot indeed - I have never seen this insect in Denmark but I read it is quite common in the mediterranean and seldom appears up north.
          How common is it in Britain ?

I hope I'll get a similar beautiful photo next time I go hunting for Dragonflys

Comment

Fabulous catch - I've seen them on the continent mainly, but would never have expected to see one 'up north' and especially on Holy Island - is this usual?

Regards
            Chris
            If I'm out I'm JustSwanningAround
            or more often at www.facebook.com/JustSwanningAround

Comment

Thanks all.

I believe that they are extending their range further north as a result of climate changes. I've not seen them up here before. Some information at:
              http://www.butterfly-conservation.or...hawk_moth.html

Holy Island at this time of year is alive with insect life and flowers, so perhaps not surprising that there was a one there during a warm spell.
              John

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Flickr gallery

Comment

Working...
              X