Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Red squirrels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red squirrels

I've been a bit disappointed at times with the image sharpness from the 70-300 when used with my e-620 but I saw a post in a previous thread which suggested that the 70-300 gave best results at f8.0 at about 200mm.
    A recent trip photographing squirrels in a wood meant I had to crank up the ISO to 640, then 800, but was still shooting at a shutter speeds of 1/50 (using a monopod). It became very windy after a while and the slow shutter speed meant quite a bit of motion in the squirrels fur in the second photo.
    Feedback welcome!

215mm, 1/50 at f8.0, ISO 640, Monopod. Shot as RAW, processed in ACR and PSE9.

300mm, 1/50 at f8.0, ISO 800, monopod, RAW image processed ACR and PSE9
    David

Re: Red squirrels

I think both photos are excellent and the second is no worse for the movement of the squirrel's fur by the wind in my opinion.

Ray.

Comment

Lovely captures - very envious as there are no reds where I am. I think the images could benefit from some extra sharpening.

Ian
      Founder and editor of:
      Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
      Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
      Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
      Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
      Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
      Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
      NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
      sigpic

Comment

Excellent shots, I concur with Ian that a little bit of post processing sharpness would enhance the shots even more.
        Olympus E-5 / E-620(hld5) / E-410 with Zuiko's : 14-42mm f5.6 | 40-150mm f5.6 | 70-300mm f4 | 35mm Macro f3.5 | Sigma 50-500mm | Sigma 105mm Macro | FL-36r
        Macbook 2ghz/4gb/120gb/13.3"
        Lightroom/Photoshop CS5/Photomatix Pro 3.0
        www.dgpix.org.uk
        My Flickr

Comment

Thanks guys - I'm usually a bit tentative with sharpening as it seems to worsen noise. (Should noise reduction be done before or after sharpening? - all the advice that I've seen up until now says leave sharpening to the very last.)
          David

Comment

I think you have done extremely well with both of these, those shutter speeds and focal lengths are a challenge in themselves.

Lovely images, thanks for sharing
            Regards Huw

Olympus equipment
            Capture One Pro
            My flickr

Comment

Two great shots,spent a sunday at Formby NT red squirrel wood - didn't see one.

Comment

Two good shots well taken.
                Ed

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?

Comment

Cracking shots David These wee reds seem to pose perfectly for you

I would love to come over and have a shot at some squirrels or if I am feeling brave some adders

As for sharpening, I have found that when you have obvious noise then Elements does not really do the job that well. As you have said sharpening and noise reduction does not then really help. Perhaps some of the proprietary noise programs available would do a better job but I have never used any.

I am sure someone else will be able to assist in this matter though

Greg
                  My Flickr Home Page

Comment

You're very welcome to come over sometime Greg. The adders are a bit of a hit or miss at the moment - later on in the summer they seem to be much more predictable and 'fixed' to a particular spot, but I do have several different sites where we can try. We do need some warm sunny weather for best results though.

I have been leaving some food out for the squirrels a couple of times a week for the past several weeks (although I don't want them to get dependent on me as a food source) and they are a bit more reliable - they tend to show up at certain times of day. A couple of the females are obviously lactating at present, so I'm hoping to see some young ones in due course.
                    David

Comment

I have had a look at the first one in Lightroom and it can sharpen up appreciably with no noise issues.

Considering it's marginally over-compressed (only 106K file for a 1067x800 image - I'd recommend at least 250K for that size) at it still sharpens up, I'm sure that when processing from the RAW file there is plenty of sharpening latitude

Ian
                      Founder and editor of:
                      Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
                      Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
                      Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
                      Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                      Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                      Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
                      NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Graptolite View Post
                        You're very welcome to come over sometime Greg. The adders are a bit of a hit or miss at the moment - later on in the summer they seem to be much more predictable and 'fixed' to a particular spot, but I do have several different sites where we can try. We do need some warm sunny weather for best results though.

I have been leaving some food out for the squirrels a couple of times a week for the past several weeks (although I don't want them to get dependent on me as a food source) and they are a bit more reliable - they tend to show up at certain times of day. A couple of the females are obviously lactating at present, so I'm hoping to see some young ones in due course.
                        PM on it's way David
                        My Flickr Home Page

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
                          I have had a look at the first one in Lightroom and it can sharpen up appreciably with no noise issues.

Considering it's marginally over-compressed (only 106K file for a 1067x800 image - I'd recommend at least 250K for that size) at it still sharpens up, I'm sure that when processing from the RAW file there is plenty of sharpening latitude

Ian
                          That's interesting Ian, because I reduced the file sizes in PSE (to fit with the site's maximum stipulated file size of 512k), and the file size on disc is 444kb, the second one being 499k. Why the discrepancy I wonder? Is it to do with the way the site processes them before displaying?

David
                          David

Comment

Utterly cute squirrel, and great pictures.

Comment

Great captures, the squirrels in your area are similar to ours here in Canada but without the long hair on the ears, and the tail on ones around here might be a bit bushier. I don't have any squirrel shots handy or I would post one for a comparison.
                              10% Off Any Zenfolio Subscription - ZR4-GXW-P2R.
                              E-30+HLD-4 | E-510 | ZD14-42 | ZD14-54 MkII | ZD40-150 | ZD50-200 | ZD35 | OM 50/1.8 | FL-36R

Comment

Working...
                              X