• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-5 Black GS

Using Macro 50 1:2 + EC-14

and a crop

[I].
    I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
    Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album

Re: E-5 Black GS

Nice portrait,but looks a touch soft.
    I did a slight sharpen to get the nose and eye better.

Keith
    Keith

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68459774@N05

E500,E510 now dead,E520 (now retired),E600 and Grip,14-42,14-45,2x40-150,Sigmas 105 and 135-400 Now Dead..ex 25. Manfrotto 190. Plus lots of OM stuff.
    Now also 4 items from the dark side...........

Comment

I don't think it is really soft, I think it's more of shallow depth of field, 70mm @ f2.8 is going to be shallow....looks like focus was on the eye which is shape enough.
      10% Off Any Zenfolio Subscription - ZR4-GXW-P2R.
      E-30+HLD-4 | E-510 | ZD14-42 | ZD14-54 MkII | ZD40-150 | ZD50-200 | ZD35 | OM 50/1.8 | FL-36R

Comment

Originally posted by iMac View Post
        I don't think it is really soft, I think it's more of shallow depth of field, 70mm @ f2.8 is going to be shallow....looks like focus was on the eye which is shape enough.
        I agree. That is the problem with using a Macro lens for this type of image. dof is much shallower for a given f stop than a standard lens. I have used mine for non-macro shooting but always have to bear in mind dof so the subjects I take with it are usually small.

Getting back to the image, I like it. I know this is foto fair but, since CC has already been given, I hope you do not mind me suggesting that your exposure is slightly too high - look at the teeth and tongue. The detail in the fur has come out very well which can be very difficult in a black dog.
        What f number were you working with? In my experience, using a converter with a macro can also have an effect in softening the image.
        Best Regards

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/

Comment

Peter, imac and Keith Thanks for your very VALID comments ! I was "messing about" and wanted to see "if I could get close up detail of the Black GSD's coat ! I, rather E-5 DID !

I totally agree, wrong lens combo for the subject ! and too much "fiddling" exploring cause and effect !

Everything is SO DIFFERENT with the E-5 to the E-1 - ISO; Shutter;Ap correlations ! the basic laws of Physics & Mathes are there but slightly different ... and I bought a few new lenses recently and yesterday was my first day with them a LOT to learn in a few weeks bfore the hols ! and thats without BIGMA !
          [I].
          I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
          Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album

Comment

Chevvyf1 - congrads on the E-5 I am jealous, I know you will get used to the setting as well as the new lenses as time goes by, just keep clicking I will have wait about another year before I am able to buy E-5 or maybe a E-50 by then
            10% Off Any Zenfolio Subscription - ZR4-GXW-P2R.
            E-30+HLD-4 | E-510 | ZD14-42 | ZD14-54 MkII | ZD40-150 | ZD50-200 | ZD35 | OM 50/1.8 | FL-36R

Comment

Working...
            X