Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

50-200 - testing.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 50-200 - testing.

    In an attempt to dispel previously disappointmenting results from the 50-200 I shot the Country Link Express
    crossing a viaduct. I wasn't expecting the train until I heard its whistle about 15 seconds before I took the shot.

    Our trains are not overly fast but the 50-200's focusing is. The XPT cruises at 100-120kmph.
    I just had time to rip the E-3 from bag, tear off lens cap, fit lens hood, check settings, brace against tree and SHOOT!
    E-3 @ 50mm @ 1/640 @ f/5.6 @ iso500 @ -0.3 EV *uncropped *unsharpened *curves adjustment

    Shot at full zoom from the same position about 15 metres from the track.

    E-3 @ 200mm @ 1/200 @ f/5.6 @ iso400 @ -0.3 EV *uncropped *unsharpened

    For sharpness this landscape is an improvement on previous shots.

    E-3 @ 158mm @ 1/640 @ f/5.6 @ iso100 @ -0.3 EV *uncropped *unsharpened

    100% crop from above - is this as good as the 50-200mm gets? (Focus mode: s-t-d on this section)

    My Flickr

    * mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
    The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
    On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill

  • #2
    Re: 50-200 - testing.

    If this isn't as sharp as you would expect on the E3, it might be one of those occasions that you be could wishing for the fine AF adjustments on the E30 & E5 to recallibrate the camera for that lens. I believe there was that sort of issue with the 14-35 & 35-100 on the E3 in some instances.

    Nice photos of the train & rural scene. Maybe we could arrange for another photo shoot of the XPT & I could sling some mud as it passes here & you could try to get a focussed shot of the mud splat when it reaches you down there. Well, maybe not, but it sounded like a fun idea initially.
    Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: 50-200 - testing.

      I like the rail and sleepers shot Mark.

      With regard to sharpness I agree with Ross, if that 100% crop is representative of your 50-200 @ f/5.6 and 200mm I would say it does look a little on soft side.

      Might be worth doing some tests, tripod mounted with remote release and mirror lock up? Can be a pain but it would confirm for sure whether focus calibration is required.
      Regards Huw


      Olympus equipment
      Capture One Pro
      My flickr

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: 50-200 - testing.

        Originally posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
        If this isn't as sharp as you would expect on the E3, it might be one of those occasions that you be could wishing for the fine AF adjustments on the E30 & E5 to recallibrate the camera for that lens. I believe there was that sort of issue with the 14-35 & 35-100 on the E3 in some instances.

        Nice photos of the train & rural scene. Maybe we could arrange for another photo shoot of the XPT & I could sling some mud as it passes here & you could try to get a focussed shot of the mud splat when it reaches you down there. Well, maybe not, but it sounded like a fun idea initially.


        Originally posted by Greytop View Post
        I like the rail and sleepers shot Mark.

        With regard to sharpness I agree with Ross, if that 100% crop is representative of your 50-200 @ f/5.6 and 200mm I would say it does look a little on soft side.

        Might be worth doing some tests, tripod mounted with remote release and mirror lock up? Can be a pain but it would confirm for sure whether focus calibration is required.
        Thanks Ross and Huw - I am wondering whether I should calibrate the lens - I did not do so on receiving it as I was unsure as to whether it needed to be or not.

        My expectation of this lens's sharpness arises out of what I got from similar shots with the 70-300. Edit: (not to mention price!)
        My Flickr

        * mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
        The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
        On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: 50-200 - testing.

          Yes, it looks a bit soft to me, too.

          But I'm wondering why you are using such high ISOs on the E3 and then under-exposing -0.3 EV? I would go as low as possible on the ISO for the shutter speed you want with the E3, it seems to loose detail and become noisy at above ISO 400. Your landscape with the house is ISO 100, but I'd try a smaller aperture than 5.6 for better depth of field. Every little thing helps!
          -----------
          Cathrine

          sigpic

          My photoblog: http://csspikkerud.zenfolio.com/blog
          My gallery: http://csspikkerud.zenfolio.com/

          My book on Viovio

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: 50-200 - testing.

            Was your point of focus on the barn, Mark? You get very little DOF at f5.6, 300mm equivalent.
            John

            "A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: 50-200 - testing.

              Originally posted by Cathrine Spikkerud View Post
              Yes, it looks a bit soft to me, too.

              But I'm wondering why you are using such high ISOs on the E3 and then under-exposing -0.3 EV? I would go as low as possible on the ISO for the shutter speed you want with the E3, it seems to loose detail and become noisy at above ISO 400. Your landscape with the house is ISO 100, but I'd try a smaller aperture than 5.6 for better depth of field. Every little thing helps!
              The Train shots, ISO500 was set to provide a fast enough shutter 1/640 to 'stop' the train and dropped to ISO400*1/200*F5.6 for the static shot.
              Due to our high contrast summer light I set exposure comp' at -0.3 EV to control the highlights and let shadow tones fall where they will.
              Those are easily adjusted with Adobe CS3/4 (I run both).

              (edited line) > The Barn shot at ISO100/F5.6 was to create some background bokeh, which hasn't really worked. F3.5 @ 1/2560 may have achieved that effect - Well as you can see, I'm still feeling my way with this lens, dear Cathrine ... you are a hard task mistress!

              Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
              Was your point of focus on the barn, Mark? You get very little DOF at f5.6, 300mm equivalent.
              John, the POF on the barn was on the 100% cropped section but nowhere across the plane is it sharp. Horizontal lines show a wavy aberrationthat I find hard to attribute to a heat haze effect sometimes seen in long lens compression. The barn was at approximately 300 metres.
              On the question of DOF, As a further example please consider an alternative image taken from the same location at 200mm @ 1/320 @ f/8.0 @ ISO100 @ -0.3 EV with no PP adjustments except sizing.

              Out of camera uncropped.


              100% crop - no adjustments

              100% crop (note the wavy horizontals)
              My Flickr

              * mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
              The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
              On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: 50-200 - testing.

                Edited version
                My Flickr

                * mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
                The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
                On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill

                Comment


                • #9
                  -----------
                  Cathrine

                  sigpic

                  My photoblog: http://csspikkerud.zenfolio.com/blog
                  My gallery: http://csspikkerud.zenfolio.com/

                  My book on Viovio

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: 50-200 - testing.

                    These results do rather suggest something within the lens is out of alignment. Did you buy it new?
                    John

                    "A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: 50-200 - testing.

                      First of all, an un-sharpened and un-processed 100% crop (presumably from RAW) will look soft. Sharpening is usually required.

                      Secondly, it looks like a hot day and heat haze may have come into play?

                      You must have been over a hundred feet from the shack, so I estimate depth of field in total would be around 25 feet, more than adequate assuming focus was correct.

                      Were you using a tripod or another steady support and, if so, did you remember to switch IS off?

                      Ian
                      Founder and editor of:
                      Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
                      Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
                      Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
                      Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

                      Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                      Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                      Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
                      NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: 50-200 - testing.

                        Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
                        These results do rather suggest something within the lens is out of alignment. Did you buy it new?
                        Originally posted by Ian View Post
                        First of all, an un-sharpened and un-processed 100% crop (presumably from RAW) will look soft. Sharpening is usually required.

                        Secondly, it looks like a hot day and heat haze may have come into play?

                        You must have been over a hundred feet from the shack, so I estimate depth of field in total would be around 25 feet, more than adequate assuming focus was correct.

                        Were you using a tripod or another steady support and, if so, did you remember to switch IS off?

                        Ian
                        Thanks Cathrine, John and Ian.

                        I bought mine new online from B&H, NY, USA.

                        John, it was 24'Celsius, perfect autumn day that we call quite warm but not hot.

                        (Edited) Ian, Distance to subject approx 300 metres. I don't shoot RAW as I get better and faster results from processing the superfine jpgs. I have been through this issue a number of times elsewhere.

                        One of my usual camera supports is the car door but I never turn the IS off as I can't be sure if there will be some very slight movement ... where does the IS margin of movement lie between handheld and a 'firm support'?

                        Do you think that IS could have contributed to the wavy effect above?

                        Had my wife shoot this with the E-520 just a few minutes ago (at as you can see, it was 0855!)
                        My Flickr

                        * mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
                        The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
                        On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: 50-200 - testing.

                          Mark, look at my post (#13) in this thread. http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13837

                          With my test in the above thread, I would think that IS might've worked better without supporting it or to have turned off IS when such solid support was used & maybe next time it might be worth trying different options & hopefully one or the other will give a sharp image. I haven't made myself a bean bag yet, but I think that would be worthwhile for this giving you less movement.

                          I hope you can get some joy out of this lens without having to spend more money on it. That would just be a big p**p.

                          I must say, in that photo of you, that is just one look of concentration.

                          Ross
                          I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                          Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                          Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                          Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                          Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                          Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: 50-200 - testing.

                            Thanks there Ross. I read your thread, saw your samples, read through OPs comments and I strongly suspect that turning the IS OFF when using supports will solve my sharpness issues.

                            I have had the damn thing on ever since I bought it.
                            My Flickr

                            * mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
                            The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
                            On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: 50-200 - testing.

                              I have a Zuiko 50 ~ 200 (one of the early type) which I use on my E1, and have always been very impressed by the results. My son has also used it on his E500 with similarly impressive results.

                              The lack of sharpness in these shots looks more like camera shake than out of focus to me. I know the IS is supposed to prevent that, but I wonder whether it copes better with shorter lenses? Remember that if using this lens at the long end you should ideally be using 1/400 second or above.

                              However, I have occasionally seen a similar problem on my E1, but only when using the 14 ~ 54 Zuiko lens, which of course is the one I use most. I have never been able to work out what causes it. These are mainly landscape type shots, in which it looks as if the camera is slightly out of focus; but when I look closely it looks as if nothing in the view is focused properly, which cannot be right, can it? I also considered camera shake, but the exposures were all above 1/250 second, and have very steady hands. Moreover, several images are involved.

                              Heavy sharpening in Photoshop rescued the images that I needed, but I just felt that "something wasn't quite right".
                              ---------------

                              Naughty Nigel


                              Difficult is worth doing

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X