Enjoying the 300 mm.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enjoying the 300 mm.

I tried the 300 mm 2.8 with the EC 14 today, and was quite pleased with the detail and sharpness. The weather was totally grey today, and I'm still waiting for more than blue tits and tree sparrows to turn up.

This was shot at max aperture which is f/4.0 for the lens/converter combination, 1/400 sec and ISO 400.

I've cropped away just a little bit.

-----------
    Cathrine

sigpic

My photoblog: http://csspikkerud.zenfolio.com/blog
    My gallery: http://csspikkerud.zenfolio.com/

My book on Viovio

Re: Enjoying the 300 mm.

No less than sensational, Cathrine. I wish I could achieve such results from my 50-200mm.
    My Flickr

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
    The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
    On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill

Comment

Superb detail, the quality of the 300mm f/2.8 together with the EC-14 is obvious in this image. Exposure is spot on too.
      Regards Huw

Olympus equipment
      Capture One Pro
      My flickr

Comment

Thanks, guys! I still think the 50-200 with the same converter is a great and above all handier combination, though! Mark, my Casuarina lapwings were taken with that and the E3.

I'm going to Grand Canyon in a month and I'm not certain I should bring the 300 at all, thinking it will be a place primarily for landscapes and the odd desert bird or lizard. I'll need the 12-60, and the 7-14 will be cool, I can't imagine not taking the 50-200. Filters and tripod are a "must". And since I need both field and conference clothing, I don't think there'll be room. I never check in any camera gear, wouldn't dare! And I need the computer... But it's such a shame to leave the 300 if there is just one bird worth the extra weight!!
        -----------
        Cathrine

sigpic

My book on Viovio

Comment

Nice, it shows the quality this combo is capable of.
          It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Not sure what others think but the 300mm is a lens I would probably avoid taking on such a trip, just from the shear size and mass perspective.

All the other lenses you mention are much more manageable, I have them too and they fit nicely in my Lowepro kit bag together with my E-5, Sigma 150 f/2.8, 50 f/2 and both teleconverters, oh and a flash.
            Mind you even that is borderline for some airlines as hand baggage!
            Regards Huw

Olympus equipment
            Capture One Pro
            My flickr

Comment

Super detailed image. I know what you mean about travelling with the 300mm, I went to Ireland on cabin baggage only basis and my E30, 300mm, 14-150mm, EC20 and binoculars only allowed me take in addition a few pairs of underpants and socks within the 10kg limit! I am afraid that with the investment in SHG lenses like the 300mm there is no way that I would put them in hold baggage which means that I can only travel with airlines that have a 10kg cabin allowance (Ryanair) which most don't. I am therefore saving up for a 50-200mm!

David
              PBase Galleries:-http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

Comment

A really crisp photo, showing what a talented photographer with top-quality glass can achieve. Nice Tit!
                Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

Originally posted by Cathrine Spikkerud View Post
                  Thanks, guys! I still think the 50-200 with the same converter is a great and above all handier combination, though! Mark, my Casuarina lapwings were taken with that and the E3.

I'm going to Grand Canyon in a month and I'm not certain I should bring the 300 at all, thinking it will be a place primarily for landscapes and the odd desert bird or lizard. I'll need the 12-60, and the 7-14 will be cool, I can't imagine not taking the 50-200. Filters and tripod are a "must". And since I need both field and conference clothing, I don't think there'll be room. I never check in any camera gear, wouldn't dare! And I need the computer... But it's such a shame to leave the 300 if there is just one bird worth the extra weight!!
                  I've held off buying the converter until I see what the 50-200 can do - so far the results have been less than impressive compared to the lighter weight 70-300. In hindsight I should have replaced the broken 70-300 and bought the 12-60 but maybe it's the user that is wanting here.

I understand your dilemma in deciding how much gear to take for as sure as you leave one lens at home then it's the one you'll need for that once in a lifetime shot!
                  My Flickr

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
                  The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
                  On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill

Comment

It cost my colleague and myself 1000 Aussie dollars to send our luggage back from Cairns last year, and that was without the 300... Next time I'm buying a tripod locally and giving it to someone when I go home. That's actually cheaper...

Travelling on a dual purpose trip has its challenges. Last year I was saving space and brought a much too informal suit for the conference, I forgot that Melbourne is a black suit city Shorts and sandals were perfectly OK for Uluru, but a simple cream coloured suit is very out of place in Melbourne. And in the US I'm a speaker, so shorts and sandals are rather out of the question

I have tried to convince the airline people that since I weigh a good twenty kilos less than the average male, I should have a higher cabin baggage allowance. They are so bad at maths...

I could stuff the 300 underneath my sweater and pretend I'm pregnant, though! Might be risking they won't let me fly at all...
                    -----------
                    Cathrine

sigpic

My book on Viovio

Comment

Originally posted by Cathrine Spikkerud View Post
                      Next time I'm buying a tripod locally and giving it to someone when I go home. That's actually cheaper...
                      I first did that in the mid 80's. Nowadays it's not as easy as it used to be as a lot of the camera stores have disappeared.
                      It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Everyone who feels they cannot take their cherished glass on trips far away will only worry about them so why not let me introduce you to a brand new service I have just thought of......a modification of a baby sitting service...more a Mary Poppins type one where the Baby's are taken on trips to lakes,hills and many other lovely places.I could also stretch it to an E5 service as they too are REALLY heavy so will leave you all free to take the less bulky E3/30's.

This is available for all dates as I do not have a passport so have to stay here.

Sorry Cathrine for spoiling your thread with a pathetic attempt at humour.

Anyway what an outstanding image ...could it be improved....NO.
                        I could look at it for hours.

keith
                        Keith

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68459774@N05

E500,E510 now dead,E520 (now retired),E600 and Grip,14-42,14-45,2x40-150,Sigmas 105 and 135-400 Now Dead..ex 25. Manfrotto 190. Plus lots of OM stuff.
                        Now also 4 items from the dark side...........

Comment

Originally posted by pandora View Post
                          I've held off buying the converter until I see what the 50-200 can do - so far the results have been less than impressive compared to the lighter weight 70-300. In hindsight I should have replaced the broken 70-300 and bought the 12-60 but maybe it's the user that is wanting here.

I understand your dilemma in deciding how much gear to take for as sure as you leave one lens at home then it's the one you'll need for that once in a lifetime shot!
                          Hmmm. You've got me thinking, Mark. I have the opposite experience! I really like the results with the EC14 and 50-200, but the 70-300 wasn't quite what I wanted. I seem to get better results with the EC14/50-200.

On this forum I've seen smashing images taken with the EC20 on a 50-200, something I've never achieved (I have both converters). In a quality controlled manufacturing process like Zuiko I don't believe there are huge differences between individual lenses. Some, yes, but not a lot! Maybe we all have different favourite camera settings for various situations, and individual ways of shooting, which suit different lenses, and therefore we achieve the best results with different lenses?

These comparisons are maybe not quite correct, as I've cropped different amounts off them, but anyway (All with the E3):

This was taken with a 50-200 SWD on it's own (overcast, Norway):

This one with the EC14 and 50-200 (Bright light, Kakadu):

This one with the EC14 and 50-200 as well (overcast, Norway):

And this with the 70-300 mm on the same day as the one above (overcast, Norway):.

I gave my dad the 70-300, it's so nicely balanced on the E510 and he enjoys the lightweight lens. I bought it for his birthday and tried it myself during fieldwork to see if it was fast enough for our typical field weather, but I decided to stay with the 50-200. The 300 prime is something else, though, and I should jolly well hope so!
                          -----------
                          Cathrine

sigpic

My book on Viovio

Comment

Originally posted by ringneck View Post
                            Everyone who feels they cannot take their cherished glass on trips far away will only worry about them so why not let me introduce you to a brand new service I have just thought of......a modification of a baby sitting service...more a Mary Poppins type one where the Baby's are taken on trips to lakes,hills and many other lovely places.I could also stretch it to an E5 service as they too are REALLY heavy so will leave you all free to take the less bulky E3/30's.

This is available for all dates as I do not have a passport so have to stay here.

Sorry Cathrine for spoiling your thread with a pathetic attempt at humour.

Anyway what an outstanding image ...could it be improved....NO.
                            I could look at it for hours.

keith
                            My 300 would be so happy to go with you on a field trip! What a genius idea! Will you take the dog, too? He does carry a tripod.
                            -----------
                            Cathrine

sigpic

My book on Viovio

Comment

Originally posted by David M View Post
                              I first did that in the mid 80's. Nowadays it's not as easy as it used to be as a lot of the camera stores have disappeared.
                              Yeah, you're right. Nowadays you can only count on B&H Photovideo in New York to deliver. It takes them two to three days to get stuff to Norway! That's two weeks less than it takes the stores in Oslo (<30 km away...)
                              -----------
                              Cathrine

sigpic

My book on Viovio

Comment

Working...
                              X