Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Magpie Flight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magpie Flight

These birds are usually considered as Black and White but, when in flight they show a blue tinge. Thought I would try for a shot in flight to see what colours are displayed. The first problem is that the beat their wings rapidly. I studied the flight pattern and found that there was a brief interval, when properly airborne, that the beats reduce and then they glide for a short distance. Tried to time it and almost succeeded although the wing tip feathers are still well defined.

I shall never look at the Magpie as being a dull bird again. The blue is largely covered when at rest as it is on the inner wing.

PeterD

Re: Magpie Flight

ive learned something new great shot peter, and the blue realy stands out.

Dave.

Comment

Thanks Dave

I shall try for closer shots to get more detail

PeterD

Comment

ive not tried any bird shots yet as the 40-150 doesnt realy have enough reach .

thats my excuse anyway

Comment

Don't despair Dave. The Magpie shot was at fl 90mm and not at 425mm which would have had me touching the bird.

You can get up to 150mm with your kit lens so give it a try.

PeterD

Comment

Peter

I agree the magpie is a really pretty bird in flight, and I love his cocksure attitude when in a tree.

Nice capture that really shows the blue, and I envy your reaction time, when those b****** move, they are really fast.

Nick
            Nick Temple-Fry

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
            www.temple-fry.co.uk

Comment

That's an interesting shot - I haven't seen many pictures of a magpie in flight! You have good reactions (or wasted a lot of shots )
              Steve
              My Flickr: https://flic.kr/ps/HRVVS

"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something" - Steven Wright

Comment

Thanks Nick & Steve,

Only took three shots, not much time in the flight. The other two are rear end views only hence thats why I chose this one. I spent time studying the flights to determine when it was the best time to shoot. Next, I wanted a bit of luck for a reasonably close fly-by. All that was left was respond to the opportunity.

I prefer action shots but have found you need to plan for them. Today I shot a pair of Little Egrets. One was in an attack flight with beak wide open. The other was on the ground. As the first landed, the other took off and retreated. Caught all of this but..... forgot to set my compensation to underexpose and ended up with blown out images. No feather detail, something I learnt long ago. Been kicking myself all night but that is life. Another day, another chance.

PeterD

Comment

Very nice, I too didn't know they had any blue feathers

Comment

Peter

ever since you posted this I have looked at magpies and you have to have really good eyes to spot the blue. I have never managed to stop one in flight yet!

I'd like to see your skills with the new mended e3 and bigma as I think this was the dodgy 70-300

Peter
                    Peter (Art Frames)

You can see some of my things on Flickr

Comment

Thanks for your comments Peter.

You are correct about the lens. Although I was given a replacement lens, the repair info came to me. The old lens required a complete re-build - it was new when I bought it! The second E3 failed in producing noisy images and also resetting to factory defaults during a shooting session. This was swiftly repaired and returned to me and works a treat now.
                      When I think back, its taken six months to get a reliable system together and all the time I was blaming myself. The Bigma worked straight out of the box and now, with the camera fixed. I am producing some good images.
                      I have asked Ian about progress on my gallery re-instatement 19th May and again 5th July. I guess he must be busy as I have not received a reply to either PM. Still, lets hope I hear something soon.

Peter
                      Best Regards

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X