• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David's Photo52 2011

Week 1 Accommodation

Oval Gas Works

Week 1 Accommodation by morganthecat, on Flickr

What:
    A terrace built in the shadows of the Oval Gas Works.
    Why:
    I like the juxtaposition of the houses accommodating the gas storage tanks in this residential area. As I walk along Mountford Place from my place of work to Tesco at a lunchtime you often have a very pungent smell of gas. Lovely looking houses but not sure I would want to live there. Only now have I realised that the road works are to install a new gas pipe - lucky accident.
    How:
    This was shot as a 4 shot vertical panorama using my Olympus E-520 and 25mm pancake which is a nice portable combination. Because of the very flat cloudy rainy day, I have processed heavily in Lightroom to prevent the image from being too flat.
    Learnt:
    When shooting panos like this, give consideration to what will make it in to the final shot. This will be based on the angle from which you are shooting
    Improvement:
    Dreadful sky. I'm not skilled at photoshopping in new skies especially when trying to retain the fine detail of something like the railings at the top of the gas works.
    Over processed. This image needed a lighter touch on the processing, but this is a 52 not a competition and I need to learn to shoot and move on and learn from the experience.
    Composition. Use of a prime lens necessitates that I should walk more to find the right shot and give more consideration to what is in the frame of the shot. I could have given more emphasis to the installation of a new gas pipe given the gas works in the background.
    David

Olympus E-30 | Falcon 8mm fisheye | 8mm fisheye | 12-60mm | 25mm f/2.8 pancake | 40-150mm | 50-200mm | 70-300mm | Tamron 135mm f/2.5 | EX-25 | FL-36R | YN460 & YN460-II | B&W ND110 | Lightroom 2.7 | Photoshop CS3
    flickr - Photo52 2011
    My Photo52 2011 Thread on TP

Re: David's Photo52 2011

A really good start to the project, and a very useful commentary too.
    - my pictures -

Comment

A fine shot. It works well. And nice to see a vertical panorama.

I'm not skilled at photoshopping in new skies
      I don't agree with inserting skies. Its very easy to spot as it is almost impossible to get the sun 'in the same place' for each image. If its a grey sky, its a grey sky. Reducing the size in an image will reduce its impact.
      Here it works well. Its a fairly industrial picture and goes with that.
      Duncan

Lots of toys.

Comment

I agree with every word that Ducan says, it's a fine shot just as it is. Great start David, and your commentry and analysis are brilliant. You and Garrie have inspired me to start a 52 of my own but I don't know how long I'll keep it up!
        John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Great start and Kudos for trying the TP 52, it'll be interesting seeing the other 51 subjects.

Comment

Excellent start to your "52" and the commentary is an added bonus!

I agree with Duncan when it comes to replacing skies...don't do it! It's usually obvious that it's been done and as he says, a grey sky is a grey sky. Why try to pretend that it's something it isn't? As you said yourself, it's a 52, not a competition...

Judging from your commentary, you are going to learn a lot this year. I look forward to following your journey....I may even be tempted to try something myself!

Janet
            My flickr photostream....

Comment

Thanks for the comments and the encouragement.
              David

Olympus E-30 | Falcon 8mm fisheye | 8mm fisheye | 12-60mm | 25mm f/2.8 pancake | 40-150mm | 50-200mm | 70-300mm | Tamron 135mm f/2.5 | EX-25 | FL-36R | YN460 & YN460-II | B&W ND110 | Lightroom 2.7 | Photoshop CS3
              flickr - Photo52 2011

Comment

The 52 is a great idea, looking forward to the other 51 too.

That shot is fine, very dramatic and nicely composed.

Paul

Comment

Thanks for the comments. As well as being a record of shooting my 52 photos for this year, I also want it to be a resource for my learning. A picture is worth a thousand words, so here is the uncorrected Photomerge of the 4 shots used before correcting for straight verticals and to remove distortion:

Pano uncorrected by morganthecat, on Flickr

See how much of the image is thrown away (particularly in the top half) in the final cut.
                  David

flickr - Photo52 2011

Comment

Originally posted by David Gethin View Post
                    Thanks for the comments. As well as being a record of shooting my 52 photos for this year, I also want it to be a resource for my learning. A picture is worth a thousand words, so here is the uncorrected Photomerge of the 4 shots used before correcting for straight verticals and to remove distortion:

Pano uncorrected by morganthecat, on Flickr

See how much of the image is thrown away (particularly in the top half) in the final cut.
                    That's interesting, David. It looks like you have to allow plenty of cropping room when composing a pano.
                    John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Week 2 New

The New Testament

Week 2 New by morganthecat, on Flickr

What:
                      A copy of the New Testament opened at Psalm 32 in the pulpit at the Community Church Sheppey.
                      Why:
                      I took part yesterday in the Roaming Perspectives walk around Sheerness-on-Sea led by Matt Rowe (www.m-r-p.co.uk/). This meant I had spent 3 hours shooting photographs this week but nothing for the Photo52.
                      As Psalm 32 says "Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven".
                      Having shot nothing specifically for the theme of New I decided to look through yesterday's photos for inspiration, I hope I am blessed indeed.
                      On the subject of new, as well as the subject matter I was shooting for the first time with my (not so) new fisheye lens and getting to grips with that.
                      How:
                      I shot plenty inside the church using handheld bracketed exposure of 5 shots +/- 2eV with the intention to process in Photomatix. This is a single exposure using the fisheye. Although fisheyes usually have incredible DOF because of the short focal length, nearly all detail beyond the bible is lost as my focal point was approximately 6-8" away and so HDR did not work.
                      I processed with a big dollop of contrast and clarity, conversion to greyscale and then split toned with silvery bronze highlights and purplish shadows.
                      Learnt:
                      I learnt that the Olympus 8mm fisheye suffers from significant CA although that can be consistently and readily removed in Lightroom.
                      I also learnt that my viewfinder is not spot on as no matter how carefully I lined up the shot I routinely ended up with a small bias to the right. Not apparent here but in the architectural shots where you are trying to perfectly balance the shot it was obvious. I learnt that a fisheye is unforgiving when it comes to lining up - you may think in the viewfinder you have balanced up all the elements (eg windows, ceiling joists, skirting boards etc) but invariably there is a bias in the final photo.
                      Improvement:
                      See the picture before it's taken. I'm happy with the final effect but I need to give positive consideration at the time I take the shot as to how I intend to process it, rather than trying different presets afterwards to rescue my shots.
                      Composition. It was necessary to make a slight crop and adjustment to the angle to remove some distracting elements in the top corners. Consequently I have cropped the bible more than I would like. Although the passage "Blessed is he whose..." is on the bottom third, I did not make a positive decision as to how far across the photo it should be placed and has rather ended up in no-man's land.
                      David

flickr - Photo52 2011

Comment

I'm happy with the final effect
                        ...and so you should be....

It works for me.

Janet
                        My flickr photostream....

Comment

Certainly something different and it works for me, very imaginative use of the 8mm.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by David Gethin View Post
                            Week 2 New

I also learnt that my viewfinder is not spot on as no matter how carefully I lined up the shot I routinely ended up with a small bias to the right. Not apparent here but in the architectural shots where you are trying to perfectly balance the shot it was obvious. I learnt that a fisheye is unforgiving when it comes to lining up - you may think in the viewfinder you have balanced up all the elements (eg windows, ceiling joists, skirting boards etc) but invariably there is a bias in the final photo.
                            Improvement:
                            Composition. It was necessary to make a slight crop and adjustment to the angle to remove some distracting elements in the top corners. Consequently I have cropped the bible more than I would like. Although the passage "Blessed is he whose..." is on the bottom third, I did not make a positive decision as to how far across the photo it should be placed and has rather ended up in no-man's land.
                            Having done a few church interiors and architectural shots can I suggest using LiveView with Frame Assist on (grid) (on the E-3 Spanner 1, Disp/, to set-up) and then toggled on/off with the info button. Unsurprisingly this overlays a grid on the LV screen and is useful for both alignment and problem areas at the edge of the composition. Easier to use with a tripod but possible hand held. (and a really useful feature on the E-PL1 with the vf-2, where it is all in the viewfinder)

Nice shot and a good composition idea.

Nick
                            Nick Temple-Fry

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
                            www.temple-fry.co.uk

Comment

I think it's imaginative and creative. An excellent image for your 52 portfolio.
                              John

Comment

Working...
                              X