Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

David's Photo52 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not my Week 24 submission

I had an idea for Bright Eyes along the lines of the 1980s sci fi-horror movie Scanners. Before shooting a new self portrait for this week, I decided to first play with the PPing necessary to give the illuminated eyes. Taking the self portrait I used in Week 10 - Trio I had a play using duplicate layers and the Pin Hole Light blend mode.

As I already had the lightbulb shot I decided not to go down this route, but here is my play with the old photo.

After

Bright Eyes by morganthecat, on Flickr

Before

Steal from the Poor, Give to the Rich by morganthecat, on Flickr
    David

Olympus E-30 | Falcon 8mm fisheye | 8mm fisheye | 12-60mm | 25mm f/2.8 pancake | 40-150mm | 50-200mm | 70-300mm | Tamron 135mm f/2.5 | EX-25 | FL-36R | YN460 & YN460-II | B&W ND110 | Lightroom 2.7 | Photoshop CS3
    flickr - Photo52 2011
    My Photo52 2011 Thread on TP

Comment

Re: David's Photo52 2011

Great effect David

I certainly would not like to meet you on a dark night

Greg
      My Flickr Home Page

Comment

Originally posted by gregles View Post
        Great effect David

I certainly would not like to meet you on a dark night

Greg
        Greg

I have never taken anyone in a fight so you have nothing to worry about... not unless my eyes can actually do that in which case, frankly, I'll be more disturbed than you are.
        David

Olympus E-30 | Falcon 8mm fisheye | 8mm fisheye | 12-60mm | 25mm f/2.8 pancake | 40-150mm | 50-200mm | 70-300mm | Tamron 135mm f/2.5 | EX-25 | FL-36R | YN460 & YN460-II | B&W ND110 | Lightroom 2.7 | Photoshop CS3
        flickr - Photo52 2011

Comment

Week 25 - Rescue

Life belts

Week 23 - Rescue by morganthecat, on Flickr

What:
          Life belts on the quayside of Faversham Creek
          Why:
          A lot of my submissions for the T552 have involved substantial PPing. I wanted to get out, take and process this week's shot in under an hour.
          How:
          A simple 'grab shot' taken down by Faversham Creek and then simple pass through LR3.4 for a slight crop, saturation/clarity/sharpness/noise reduction adjustments and addition of a vignette to draw the eye into the main element and the secondary element of the smaller, distant life belt.
          Learnt:
          KISS
          Improvement:
          Composition. A return to 'basics' this week for me, and such shots demand even greater attention to the basic skills of composition, DOF and control of exposure - in other words the 80% of an image that too frequently spend 20% of our time thinking about. I needed to be slower and more patient in my composition so that there are as few distracting features as possible. Not easy in such a crowded, busy scene but why more care and attention should be taken to ensure the substrate SOOC is as good as possible.
          David

flickr - Photo52 2011

Comment

Dear David,

This has to be one of my favourite forum posts ever, you imagination and skill is inspiring.

Keep up the great work

Chris

Comment

I like the scanners pic, that was a disturbing film : simply because of the freaky casting.

Comment

Originally posted by David Gethin View Post
                Greg

I have never taken anyone in a fight so you have nothing to worry about... not unless my eyes can actually do that in which case, frankly, I'll be more disturbed than you are.
                No chance of a fight David...I am running. Fast

Fantastic series of shots Please keep them coming

Greg
                My Flickr Home Page

Comment

Week 26 - Sensual

A Man in Unifrom

He moved towards him
                  Took his hand
                  His head turned
                  Their eyes locked in a stare
                  They could never go back

Week 26 - Sensual by morganthecat, on Flickr

What:
                  A picture of two Storm Troopers holding hands
                  Why:
                  This week's theme will be pushing a lot of people out of their comfort zone. I decided to take a more humorous approach to the theme.
                  How:
                  Photo was taken in bright sunlight with a shoot-through collapsible diffuser held to the left of the shot to soften the harsh shadows. I used my new Olympus XZ-1 in Super Macro mode. The image quality for a compact is very impressive.
                  I then decided that to increase the idea of sensualness, the image would work better if the characters were in moonlight rather than broad daylight. I used the majority of the technique described in this how-to-create-a-moonlight-tutorial. I blended in a picture I took of the "super moon" back in March, adjusted exposure and saturation levels and added a gradient map to colour the image blue.
                  Learnt:
                  How to turn a daytime shot into a moonlit scene, though my processing needs some working on.
                  Improvement:
                  Lighting. Because I did not shoot with the idea of processing the image in this way, my light source is coming from the wrong side of the image. The sun was shining from the left, yet the moon is in the right hand corner of the frame. I have dodged and burned the final image siginficantly to minimise this (creating some 'dirty' patches on the white Storm Trooper) but really the shot should have been re-taken.
                  Focus of the Subject. To convey the idea of sensualness there are two main elements in the image; the connection between the eyes and the holding of the hands. Even though the shallow DOF means the background is blurred and not distinct it is still busy enough to 'hide' the hands. The shot would have worked better with a simpler background or to place the characters further apart but place the hands in such a way that they are more clearly holding. The darkening of the scene to convey the moonlit scene also doesn't help but even in the original daylight image, the hands were not clearly differentiated from the background.
                  David

flickr - Photo52 2011

Comment

Great work David! I like it.
                    -----------
                    Cathrine

sigpic

My photoblog: http://csspikkerud.zenfolio.com/blog
                    My gallery: http://csspikkerud.zenfolio.com/

My book on Viovio

Comment

Week 27 - Elaborate

Shining the Light of Truth on Justice

Week 27 - Elaborate by morganthecat, on Flickr

What:
                      A picture of the setting sun over the Central Criminal Court, better known as the Old Bailey.
                      Why:
                      I wanted to capture an image on the definition of elaborate being "to add details; to expand" rather than "marked by intricate and often excessive detail; complicated". Advocates expand their case to the judge and jury, and the most famous court in the land is the Old Bailey, seen here from the Roof Terrace of One New Change which is open to the public for free from early morning until late at night. The Roof Terrace at One New Change offers fantastic views of the Shard, Strata, Tate Modern, St Pauls and across towards Holborn. This quick and dirty panorama using the panorama art filter on the XZ-1 gives you just a taste of what can be seen:

One New Change Panorama by morganthecat, on Flickr
                      How:
                      I used my newly acquired Olympus XZ-1. The image is a composite of two exposures, one taken for the foreground, one for the sky, and then aligned and blended in CS3 rather than more HDR. I then applied heavy PP on the image before applying one of the in-built LR3 presets, "Color Creative - Color CP 1" which helped the Lady of Justice statue atop of the 67 foot high dome stand out from the clouds.
                      Learnt:
                      Improvement on my blending of skylines with skies when taking two exposure composite images.
                      Improvement:
                      Sunset. This image needed to have the sun setting behind the Lady of Justice to enable a more effective contre jour interpretation of the light shone on justice that an advocate aspires to do when elaborating the prosecution or defence case to a judge and jury.
                      Processing. A consequence of not getting the contre jour shot is that all the other problems flow from this. My PPing was really a case of trying to rescue the shot in order to get the Lady of Justice to stand out better. Originally I shot this with HDR in mind, but even with a 3 shot HDR the sun was too bright and it looked horrible. I needed to have dialed in some negative exposure compensation.
                      The right camera. The XZ-1 is a wonderful compact, but I am still learning how to get the most from it and high contrast sunsets such as these are probably beyond the dynamic range of such a camera. This shot had to be cropped quite a bit and given the size of the Lady of the Justice relative to the rest of the shot there just isn't enough image quality in the shot. I need to go back with my dslr when The Photographer's Ephemeris says that I will have the sun in the right direction.
                      David

flickr - Photo52 2011

Comment

Week 28 - Celebrate

The Celebrations Begin at 40

Week 28 - Celebrate by morganthecat, on Flickr

What:
                        A series of date relevant birthday cards.
                        Why:
                        I have struggled since the start of the second half of the TP52. In the end I needed to get something down so went into WH Smith (other card retailers are available) and got snapping with my XZ-1 in the cards and gift wrapping section.
                        How:
                        Shot on the widest angle which at 6mm is equivalent to 28mm in 35mm terms. Clarity, vibrance, saturation and sharpening were all tweaked to give more punch before applying a post-crop vignette.
                        Learnt:
                        Don't overdo your vignettes and when shooting items in cellophane position yourself to avoid unflattering relections from the shop lights.
                        Improvement:
                        Vignette. I have been too heavy handed on this occasion obscuring the top left hand corner. Also, the Post-Crop Vignetting tool in LR3 is nowhere near as pleasing as the Lens Vignette tool. The latter obviously doesn't work though if you have an off-centre crop, and so I should give consideration to applying vignettes in Photoshop rather than Lightroom.
                        David

flickr - Photo52 2011

Comment

Just been catching up on this thread, David. I'll never cease to be amazed at your imagination, inventiveness, creativity and resourcefulness - not to mention your technical skills. This is building into a really outstanding body of work, truly excellent!
                          John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Week 29 - Smell

The Olfactory Organ

Week 29 - Smell by morganthecat, on Flickr

What:
                            A photograph of my nose.
                            Why:
                            I took a close-up photograph yesterday of my eye looking towards my bathroom window with a blind down. It gave a wonderfully soft light which together with a Summer Rain R3 preset gave some nice tones.
                            I thought why not focus on the sensory organ associated with smell.
                            How:
                            Shot with the camera focussed on my nose pointing towards the ceiling. PPing for this shot was predominantly the Summer Rain preset followed by tweaking on Exposure, Brightness and Recovery as the preset gave some funny halo effects around the hairline.
                            Learnt:
                            The softness of using a big light source is something I have known about, but I only have a shoot through umbrella. I have learnt that my next purchase will probably be a softbox, or I need to get on with building my DIY Ikea beauty dish - I have got the lamp, and I need to get some metal strap to put it together.
                            Improvement:
                            Composition. My previous self portrait work has been shot with the Olympus E-30 and the wonderful articulated screen. Shooting wthout this, and particularly as shooting so close, made composition difficult and I have ended up going with a 16x9 crop of the original 4x3 image in order to place the focus on the nose rather than on the mouth that was in the original image. But the cost is that I am not particularly comfortable with using 16x9 crops when balanced against my other TP52 images.
                            David

flickr - Photo52 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
                              Just been catching up on this thread, David. I'll never cease to be amazed at your imagination, inventiveness, creativity and resourcefulness - not to mention your technical skills. This is building into a really outstanding body of work, truly excellent!
                              That's very kind of you John, though what you mention above has been in very short supply recently - and this week's theme of Wierd is proving surprisingly resistant to ideas. It is interesting though to see a subtle but I think discernible shift in my photography in the past 6 months.

Looking out to the next 6 months, I would like to produce more naturalistic, cleaner images with more subtle tones. To use a food analogy, at the moment I feel like I am producing dishes with lots of flavour added through rich sauces and I would like to produce those very simple dishes where the ingredients shout softly and don't need smothering in gravy

At some point I think it is technique that needs to be looked at - in the same way as when someone who wants to drive faster is told that they don't need a faster car but that they need to learn how to drive the one they already own to its limit.
                              David

flickr - Photo52 2011

Comment

Week 30 - Weird

Looking Backwards Out to Sea

Week 30 - Weird by morganthecat, on Flickr

What:
                                A surreal photo of myself at the beach
                                Why:
                                A chance to use my newly acquired wide angle lens together with a Magritte-esque surrealism for the theme
                                How:
                                A composite photo but all taken on location. The "background" is a 5 shot +/- 2eV HDR image using more subtle HDR techniques in Photomatix. I then took two photos of myself using the remote and self-timer both facing towards and away from the camera. I placed my feet in the sand and tried to adjust the lean of my body so that I was broadly the same height/width/positioning in both shots. Use of a wide angle makes this much more difficult to achieve as small movements can have dramatic effects on the image. These two portrait shots were shot very close in time to the HDR frames to ensure the lighting was broadly similar in each shot despite the rapidly changing weather.
                                The HDR was processed first and this HDR image was then imported into CS3 together with the two portrait shots as 3 layers. I then used the eraser to blend the 'backwards' image of my head and bottom onto the 'frontwards' image of my chest and legs (kness and below). It was necessary to transform (move and slight scale) othe backwards shot to get a better alignment with the frontwards shot - not least because my left and right shoulders are at significantly different levels by an inch or two making alignment pretty much impossible. The beach and sky of the blended body image was then erased to reveal the HDR layer below and produce the final edit which was tweaked for clarity/saturation/vibrancy/vignette etc in LR3.
                                Learnt:
                                Further chance to hone my editing skills in CS3
                                Improvement:
                                Body shot. It is clear the head is 'reversed' but not so my bottom as the detail in the shorts is not clear enough. A fully naked shot with bottom rather than anything offensive would have worked better but I feared complaints from the few souls on the beach who were some distance away. This may be a candidate for a future re-shoot.
                                Blending technique in CS3. The fact that my wireless mouse is playing up doesn't help, but I'm wondering whether it's time to invest in a Wacom Bamboo tablet to get better control when editing. Nonetheless, I think my technique also needs improvement when bledning one layer into another.
                                HDR. By applying a HDR process to the background but not matching that processing with the body means the lighting doesn't quite complement and makes the body sadly look as though it has been photographed away from the location and photoshopped in. This needs a re-think.
                                David

flickr - Photo52 2011

Comment

Working...
                                X