Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gotcha...finally

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Gotcha...finally

    I have taken huge numbers of pictures of this pheasant today and other days.

    It lives nearby but is a 'shy' show-off; knows about cameras and certainly knows just where to get to make me frustrated.

    But today - I win. I had several goes at a display shot always failed (often trying to get the 50-200 to co-operate quickly)

    and then ......





    Gotcha....!

    I'm almost as proud of myself as he is of himself!

    Peter

    PS thanks to PeterD for encouraging the use of higher ISO and faster speeds. Some from first thing were at ISO 1000 and look great this was ISO 400
    Peter (Art Frames)

    You can see some of my things on Flickr

  • #2
    Re: Gotcha...finally

    Originally posted by art frames View Post
    I have taken huge numbers of pictures of this pheasant today and other days.

    It lives nearby but is a 'shy' show-off; knows about cameras and certainly knows just where to get to make me frustrated.

    But today - I win. I had several goes at a display shot always failed (often trying to get the 50-200 to co-operate quickly)

    and then ......







    Gotcha....!

    I'm almost as proud of myself as he is of himself!

    Peter

    PS thanks to PeterD for encouraging the use of higher ISO and faster speeds. Some from first thing were at ISO 1000 and look great this was ISO 400
    Lovely picture Peter.

    They are getting very active at this time of year.
    All the best

    Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

    Andy

    Lots of cameras and lenses.


    My Flickr

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Gotcha...finally

      It good to get a great shot like this, especially if it has taken a while.

      Is this is crop or full size?

      You are right about them being more active. Way too much road kill on the A4.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Gotcha...finally

        Originally posted by andym View Post
        Lovely picture Peter.

        They are getting very active at this time of year.
        Andy, thank you kindly.

        Yes, very active and very noisy. But getting the sunshine, activity and proximity all right and together has been fun.

        I am still looking for the ...display just off the ground stage!

        Peter
        Peter (Art Frames)

        You can see some of my things on Flickr

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Gotcha...finally

          Originally posted by j.baker View Post
          It good to get a great shot like this, especially if it has taken a while.

          Is this is crop or full size?

          You are right about them being more active. Way too much road kill on the A4.
          John

          It was a very slight crop and from the RAW so brightened a little.

          As a comparison this is a few minutes later (jpg straight from the camera), in the words of Monty Python "shagged-out after a good sqwark"



          Still puffed-out but not quite so cocky.

          I have another 90 from today...if you have a minute or two

          It has been a happy couple of hours.


          Peter
          Peter (Art Frames)

          You can see some of my things on Flickr

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Gotcha...finally

            That shot really looks worth the effort Fantastic. The slight motion blur in the wings gives it a real boost with the sense of motion. It gives the impression of energy.
            All the best,
            Phil

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Gotcha...finally

              Really good couple of shots, I like

              Dave

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Gotcha...finally

                Well done Peter, lovely colour. The determination does pay off in the end

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Gotcha...finally

                  Phil, Dave and John

                  Thank you for your nice comments.

                  I've just been to see him again but he is now sulking. Still there is always tomorrow! I would love a longer lens but cannot yet decide which way to go. Still getting close is the best way.

                  best wishes

                  Peter
                  Peter (Art Frames)

                  You can see some of my things on Flickr

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Gotcha...finally

                    Lovely capture

                    Is he in any danger of going in the pot?

                    Ian
                    Founder and editor of:
                    Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
                    Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
                    Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
                    Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

                    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
                    NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Gotcha...finally

                      Originally posted by Ian View Post
                      Lovely capture

                      Is he in any danger of going in the pot?

                      Ian
                      Ian

                      Thank you for your comment.

                      No, he is safe with me, in an odd way we are quite close...(until he spots me) then he puts 30 yards between us!

                      Peter
                      Peter (Art Frames)

                      You can see some of my things on Flickr

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Gotcha...finally

                        I have been watching my pheasant each day looking for any more antics. He seems quieter. Today in his lair I saw 4/5 females. Is this a result of his calling or what? Any pheasant experts amongst the birders?

                        I will have a look at my bird books later. I now want a family group shot too.

                        thanks for the interest.

                        Peter
                        Peter (Art Frames)

                        You can see some of my things on Flickr

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Gotcha...finally

                          Originally posted by Ian View Post
                          Lovely capture

                          Is he in any danger of going in the pot?

                          Ian
                          Shame on you Ian, the hen pheasants are bigger and much sweeter.

                          But I agree, a lovely capture.

                          Nick
                          Nick Temple-Fry

                          Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

                          www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
                          www.temple-fry.co.uk

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Gotcha...finally

                            Originally posted by art frames View Post
                            I have been watching my pheasant each day looking for any more antics. He seems quieter. Today in his lair I saw 4/5 females. Is this a result of his calling or what? Any pheasant experts amongst the birders?

                            I will have a look at my bird books later. I now want a family group shot too.

                            thanks for the interest.

                            Peter
                            Apparently my pheasant is polygamous and will have several females around. Books say April for nesting. I shall be watching with great interest and hope to have a bigger telephoto by then too.

                            Any suggestions for a name? Cocky seems appropriate

                            Peter
                            Peter (Art Frames)

                            You can see some of my things on Flickr

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Gotcha...finally

                              Peter what a great shot, really worth your effort.

                              Derek C
                              Derek

                              ____________________________________________

                              www.dncphotography.co.uk

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X