Sunderland Airshow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunderland Airshow

Just few images taken with the 40-150 kit lens as this is the biggest I have for the moment

Comments most welcome

Regards
    Michael

OM-D E-M5 mk2, m12-40mm f2.8, m25mm f1.8, m45mm f1.8, m60mm f2.8 Macro, M14‑150mm 1:4-5.6 II, M75-300mm MK2, Samyang 7.5mm f/3.5 fisheye

Re: Sunderland Airshow

I think they're a bit flat looking, because there are no whites. I've adjusted the levels and sharpened the Mustang one. I would also crop tigher:

Jim

Comment

I would suggest trying a slower shutter speed for aircraft with propellers so that the blades don't look static.

Steve
      Old divers never die, they just go down on old wrecks
      Take nothing but photographs, leave nothing but bubbles
      My website

Comment

I agree with Steve although it does help to confirm the Spitfire is a later model with a five bladed prop.
        Actually I think the best shot in the series is the one in your gallery you didn't include in the post (Mustang underside). As a matter of interest did you have the IS switched off?

Regards
        Peter

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
        OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
        Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.

Comment

Hmm.. Was supposed to go to the airshow but I was doing a horse show jumping competition all day..with exclusive rights (The only photographer!)

Comment

Definitely need a bit of work in Levels but otherwise good shots, especially with the 40-150mm.
            John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Nice shots of the planes, but is it just my monitor?? The sky looks very pixelated, especially after Jim's fix.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky View Post
                Nice shots of the planes, but is it just my monitor?? The sky looks very pixelated, especially after Jim's fix.
                Yes, you're right. It's pixelated in the original but doesn't show as much being lower contrast.

Jim

Comment

That first image is rather over compressed, its 1500 pixels wide yet only 39kB file size. I know the sky is fairly flat so the file might be expected to be smaller than average, but if it were re-posted with less compression, maybe aiming for a file size of 200kB, I suspect it would look a great deal better..

Pete
                  Look, I'm an old man. I shouldn't be expected to put up with this.

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.

Comment

Peter,
                    I was using IS2 do you think it is better to switch it off when photographing moving planes etc?

When I get a chance tonight will have a go re-posting with a bigger file size.
                    Regards
                    Michael

OM-D E-M5 mk2, m12-40mm f2.8, m25mm f1.8, m45mm f1.8, m60mm f2.8 Macro, M14‑150mm 1:4-5.6 II, M75-300mm MK2, Samyang 7.5mm f/3.5 fisheye

Comment

I tend to switch off IS when taking photos of moving objects. I also switch it off during panning. I use A-mode and adjust ISO (and aperture size) to get the shutter speed that will give me the result I want with depth of field, frozen photo or a pan-blur.

Comment

Michael,

I quite like the shots and there is a great selection of planes in your series. It looks like atmospheric haze could have crept into the pictures so you can't avoid that.

On the shutter speed, I agree with the other comments. I find that 1/125th works for blurring car wheels while keeping the car sharp, 1/250th slightly less blur but workable. I am not sure how that compares to planes but it could be a starting point.

On the framing, maybe a crop a bit from the LHS of the P-51 so it comes into the frame rather than being on its way out. You could try that with the Sabre(?) but I quite like the exhaust being there, too, and it is my favourite of the bunch as it is.

Hope this helps,

Nick
                        Bodies: E3, E-P1
                        Lenses: 8mm, 14-42mm, 12-60mm, 50-200mm

Comment

Michael
                          I agree with Radar I think it's best to leave IS off for moving subjects. I try to think back to basic principles on things like this. IS is intended to correct for camera shake introduced by the operator and works quite well with a static subject. IS2 mode only corrects in the horizontal plane and allows for panning although I believe this is less effective. Aircraft and birds etc. move in both the horizontal and vertical planes (even if they are at a constant height if they are moving towards or away from you to any degree the vertical angle you view them at will be changing ) and the IS will be trying to correct the movements you make when tracking them.

Hope this helps.
                          Regards
                          Peter

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
                          OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
                          Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.

Comment

Thanks everyone I will try turning off IS next time
                            Regards
                            Michael

Comment

Nice series, Harrier for me.
                              Ed

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?

Comment

Working...
                              X