First Go At Bugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Go At Bugs

Kicking my heels the other day so thought I would have a go at finding some bugs etc. in the garden to photograph so here is my results

Oh and I photographed some flowers as well

Regards
    Michael

OM-D E-M5 mk2, m12-40mm f2.8, m25mm f1.8, m45mm f1.8, m60mm f2.8 Macro, M14‑150mm 1:4-5.6 II, M75-300mm MK2, Samyang 7.5mm f/3.5 fisheye

Re: First Go At Bugs

Like the fly ,nice little shot.
    Ed

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?

Comment

These do look a little soft - do you routinely resharpen after sizing for the web? If you use Photoshop, try using Bicubic Sharper when resizing.

Ian
      Founder and editor of:
      Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
      Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
      Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
      Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
      Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
      Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
      NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
      sigpic

Comment

I usually just resize the image to 800x600 pixels then upload them, I will try that in the future to see if that improves them
        Regards
        Michael

OM-D E-M5 mk2, m12-40mm f2.8, m25mm f1.8, m45mm f1.8, m60mm f2.8 Macro, M14‑150mm 1:4-5.6 II, M75-300mm MK2, Samyang 7.5mm f/3.5 fisheye

Comment

Hi Michael

For first shots, they are good. What setup did you use?
          Best Regards

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/

Comment

I used my e-510 with the 14-42mm kit lens set to 42mm on aperture priority mode set to f3.5
            Regards
            Michael

Comment

Originally posted by The Technician View Post
              I used my e-510 with the 14-42mm kit lens set to 42mm on aperture priority mode set to f3.5
              Blimey.....42mm ...you must have got close or done a good crop.
              I would say f 3.5 was a bit too much ...no dof ...but good for b/g.
              If you had an Ex 25 you could use the 40-150 and get closer than normal...I used this combo for some time before getting the sigma 105.

Good 1st go though.
              Keith
              Keith

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68459774@N05

E500,E510 now dead,E520 (now retired),E600 and Grip,14-42,14-45,2x40-150,Sigmas 105 and 135-400 Now Dead..ex 25. Manfrotto 190. Plus lots of OM stuff.
              Now also 4 items from the dark side...........

Comment

Hi Michael,

Sorry for the late reply but I was on duty at the Oysterbed site.

I am impressed with your first efforts esp. the fly. I know the kit lenses are really superb as your images demonstrate.

Things which might help you improve further are as follows:

1. The exposure compensation needs to be brought down in the case of the spiders as the images are over-exposed in a number of places and the detail has been lost there. Take a test shot then check the curves and adjust the compensation to suit. Always start with -1/3 stop and take it from there.
                2. As Keith has said, your aperture setting is too wide. This is not too much of an issue with the lens you are using but would be a disaster with an achromatic (macro) lens. Stick with f8 or f10 if you can. I use f20 for my macro lens.
                3. Use C-AF when taking these shots. This will compensate for subject/camera movement as final focus takes place when the shutter is fully depressed and not locked on a half press.
                4. Sometimes the use of flash helps. Sure, it gives you a lower shutter speed but does allow you to go for a smaller aperture improving dof. The camera will do all the work getting the exposure right.

Michael, as I said before, your first attempts have been very good and much better than I achieved with a similar setup in the past. I offer my comments above, not as a criticism but as a genuine desire to help you improve further.
                Best Regards

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/

Comment

Originally posted by PeterD View Post
                  Hi Michael,

Sorry for the late reply but I was on duty at the Oysterbed site.

I am impressed with your first efforts esp. the fly. I know the kit lenses are really superb as your images demonstrate.

Things which might help you improve further are as follows:

1. The exposure compensation needs to be brought down in the case of the spiders as the images are over-exposed in a number of places and the detail has been lost there. Take a test shot then check the curves and adjust the compensation to suit. Always start with -1/3 stop and take it from there.
                  2. As Keith has said, your aperture setting is too wide. This is not too much of an issue with the lens you are using but would be a disaster with an achromatic (macro) lens. Stick with f8 or f10 if you can. I use f20 for my macro lens.
                  3. Use C-AF when taking these shots. This will compensate for subject/camera movement as final focus takes place when the shutter is fully depressed and not locked on a half press.
                  4. Sometimes the use of flash helps. Sure, it gives you a lower shutter speed but does allow you to go for a smaller aperture improving dof. The camera will do all the work getting the exposure right.

Michael, as I said before, your first attempts have been very good and much better than I achieved with a similar setup in the past. I offer my comments above, not as a criticism but as a genuine desire to help you improve further.
                  FANTASTIC ADVICE...for all of us.
                  Keith
                  Keith

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68459774@N05

E500,E510 now dead,E520 (now retired),E600 and Grip,14-42,14-45,2x40-150,Sigmas 105 and 135-400 Now Dead..ex 25. Manfrotto 190. Plus lots of OM stuff.
                  Now also 4 items from the dark side...........

Comment

Thanks for the excellent advice which I will certainly take on-board, and I will look into maybe getting a EX25
                    Regards
                    Michael

Comment

Working...
                    X