X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wildlife photographer of the year

http://www.wingsofnature.org

Re: Wildlife photographer of the year

It's not that m43rds kit is incapable. It is just that most serious wildlife photographers use Nikon and Canon.
    Dave

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge

Comment

It is a lot to do with the Sponsors, which MIGHT involve those two ??
      The picture tells the story, great when you have a bad memory.DW.

Comment

Maybe because some Olympus users regard the competition as a joke and don't even bother checking out the winning shots these days. When some of the winning entries were taken at game farms or were set up the competition lost all credibility for me.
        It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Have seen plenty of adverts on TV etc., for the dark side and Olympus being conspicuous by their absence. Same experience raises its ugly head when trying to get hands on experience before buying.

The quality is there, but access to the goods is not.
          It's not what inspires us that is important, it's where the journey takes us.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Comment

Originally posted by Wally View Post
            Have seen plenty of adverts on TV etc., for the dark side and Olympus being conspicuous by their absence. Same experience raises its ugly head when trying to get hands on experience before buying.

Same in a lot of magazines etc .
            The picture tells the story, great when you have a bad memory.DW.

Comment

Thanks for your comments,surely there must be macro and close up photographers that entered this competition.There were lots of commended and youth entries I wonder if the images on show were to a certain standard of
              Resolution?
              Kind regards Mike.

Comment

In light of the post so far do some of these competitions have minimum requirments kit wise?
                EM-1 MK1 - No website containing any of my photos until I'm good enough!

Comment

Hi Wally, I must admit I have noticed the same especially the latter part part of your input, I have jessops in my local town centre and in Reading Berks ( new store) quite alright if you want a new camera and maybe a lens but useless for accessories I've given up and try to get to Londons west end, combining it with a trip with the wife when she has booked a show with her sisters.
                  Kind regards mike

Comment

Most wildlife photographers feel they want the kit that enables them to have the best chance of shooting birds in flight, plus it's only in the past year or two that many pros of any type have been going mirrorless. It's also only since production of the 40-150/1.4 combination that Oly have had a long lens that's good enough for a lot of wildlife.

Pros also want to stick with kit that has already proved reliable in their own hands and that they know: it's perfectly understandable that there is only slow change. Failure means you don't get paid. There have to be proven benefits before they'll take the risk.

If OMD CAF performance can genuinely be improved with next year's releases, and the 300 and 100-400 appear and are good, then a higher proportion will switch. Remember that Fuji are also now producing longer lenses and a t/c, and that some Sony bodies already have reasonable CAF with tracking (although not yet good long glass) so they may not choose Oly (although here Panasonic's video supremacy probably works in favour of m4/3 for people who shoot stills and video since you can have one of each body and maximise advantages while also having backup).

I've also recently been to the Landscape Photographer OTY show at Waterloo station: all were CaNikon bar (as I recall) one Sony, one Fuji, one ?Ricoh and one 10x8 plate camera with a Fujinon lens! Not surprising for landscape, perhaps.

Finally, earlier in the year I went to the Travel POTY at the Royal Geographical Soc. Penetration of mirrorless here was higher but still minimal - I forget the exact numbers, but it was something like 90% Canikon, 5% Sony, 3% Fuji and 2% bar (including only one Olympus E-M1).

I spoke to one of the judges at the TPOTY, himself a long-term Fuji mirrorless user, and he said a matching 90% of the submissions to the comp were still on DSLRs.

I don't accept that all these competitions can be influenced by the DSLR manufacturers sponsorship of the events: it's down to the pros and serious amateurs being understandably slow to switch. It will come, probably first in the TPOTY.
                    Regards,
                    Mark

------------------------------
                    http://www.microcontrast.com
                    Too much Oly gear.
                    Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
                    Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

Comment

Have seen plenty of adverts on TV etc., for the dark side and Olympus being conspicuous by their absence....
                      "Android Magazine" seems to alternate in each issue between a full page ad just inside the cover for Olympus OMD and one for Sony NEX. Just to prove the point though the last issue had one for some TV thing.
                      Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
                      Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
                      Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
                      Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
                      Learn something new every day

Comment

When you go to a football match most journalists have cameras on a tripod etc with the biggest lens known to man. Size doesnt matter neither does the bank balance to these people. so why would they go for M4/3 at present. Its not going to happen.
                        I suppose wildlife may fall into this catagory for twitchers. Just think its one explanation re the title of this thread and the lack of m4/3 entrants.
                        EM-1 MK1 - No website containing any of my photos until I'm good enough!

Comment

With the fast improving selection of telephoto lenses appearing for Micro Four Thirds and the evidence that photographers we, here, are aware of being able to produce great wildlife images, it surely must only be a matter of time before photographers using Olympus and Panasonic Micro Four Thirds kit start to feature in this category.

Ian
                          Founder and editor of:
                          Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
                          Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
                          Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
                          Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                          Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                          Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
                          NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
                          sigpic

Comment

I agree, Ian.

At my camera club a reasonable number of good photographers have used Fuji crop-sensor mirrorless kit for some years, often combined with a DSLR setup for landscape or sports/wildlife, but overwhelmingly DSLRs have ruled.

In the last 12-18 months however there has been a massive change, with now most of the club committee plus several of the 'top' club members buying Olympus OMD kit. By 'top' I mean as measured by how often they place in club competitions.

Again these are being bought as supplements to existing Canikon gear, but several people have now sold their old kit.

Hardly a meeting goes by without someone coming up to me and asking about Olympus equipment, and I've lent several people various bits and pieces to try. I'm going to be asking Olympus for 10% on all consequent sales!

Of course this is a big club (nearly 200 members) and there are a lot of superb wildlife, sports and 'big' landscape photographers who perfectly reasonably are sticking with their big gear for now, but it will come.
                            Regards,
                            Mark

------------------------------
                            http://www.microcontrast.com
                            Too much Oly gear.
                            Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
                            Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

Comment

Is part of the problem that we Oly owners don't bother to participate in these competitions? There are some stunning photos on this site, many of which are more than good enough to win. I get a trickle of photos published every year but the magazines never say they're taken with an Oly. Maybe we're guilty of hiding our lights under a bushel.
                              David

EM1ii, EM10ii

Comment

Working...
                              X