Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A saga turning into a farce?

John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Re: A saga turning into a farce?

Thanks John, it's a good point about my website, which badly needs updating, it's certainly worth a try offering cards on there.
    John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

My Published Book: http://www.blurb.com/my/book/detail/2771168

Comment

Peter

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
        OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
        Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.

Comment

Dave, sorry to hear that you are in the same boat! I hope things improve next time for you, too.
          John

Comment

Peter, sorry to hear you had such a disappointing day at the centre, that really does surprise me. If that happens too often it will be a big blow for the Trust. Do you think some people are put off by the work that is going on at the reservoir? I hope not, the story about that is facinating and very interesting in it's own right.

We'll be coming again soon, but haven't worked out exactly when, to collect the giant snail that Freya has reserved. She bought a tank for it yesterday and is very excited about getting "Speedy!" When we come we plan to spend a whole day, rather than just a flying visit.

That's a good point about getting the right information on my website homepage and keywording. Ive keyworded individual pictures, but nothing about selling! I really must give it some attention.
            John

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
              Peter, sorry to hear you had such a disappointing day at the centre, that really does surprise me. If that happens too often it will be a big blow for the Trust. Do you think some people are put off by the work that is going on at the reservoir? I hope not, the story about that is facinating and very interesting in it's own right.

We'll be coming again soon, but haven't worked out exactly when, to collect the giant snail that Freya has reserved. She bought a tank for it yesterday and is very excited about getting "Speedy!" When we come we plan to spend a whole day, rather than just a flying visit.

That's a good point about getting the right information on my website homepage and keywording. Ive keyworded individual pictures, but nothing about selling! I really must give it some attention.
              Thanks John.
              We certainly get a lot of people turning up who say " Oh we thought you'd be closed" that's why we put up the big banners at the entrance sayig WE ARE OPEN.
              "Speedy" I like that.
              Let me know when you are coming and I can try and be there to show you round if you like. We're usually around on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Saturdays.

Regards
              Peter

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
              OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
              Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterBirder View Post
                Thanks John.
                We certainly get a lot of people turning up who say " Oh we thought you'd be closed" that's why we put up the big banners at the entrance sayig WE ARE OPEN.
                "Speedy" I like that.
                Let me know when you are coming and I can try and be there to show you round if you like. We're usually around on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Saturdays.

Regards
                That would be great, Peter. I'll try to influence the family for one of those days.
                John

Comment

This all reminds me of sitting at craft fairs many years ago in a previous life. Poor turnouts, depressingly low sales, lots of driving :-) You're not alone.

I used to say the collective noun for punters at a craft fair is "Tight Bunch"

There's no fix for a poor turn out, but you might attract punter's interest by doing some macro photography live on the stand (and it would help to pass the time). Set up lights, a subject, a tripod. You know.. "Hello, what's this guy up to..."

Pete
                  Look, I'm an old man. I shouldn't be expected to put up with this.

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.

Comment

Nick Temple-Fry

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
                    www.temple-fry.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by snaarman View Post
                      This all reminds me of sitting at craft fairs many years ago in a previous life. Poor turnouts, depressingly low sales, lots of driving :-) You're not alone.

I used to say the collective noun for punters at a craft fair is "Tight Bunch"

There's no fix for a poor turn out, but you might attract punter's interest by doing some macro photography live on the stand (and it would help to pass the time). Set up lights, a subject, a tripod. You know.. "Hello, what's this guy up to..."

Pete
                      Now that's quite an innovative idea, Pete, I'll give that some serious thought!
                      John

Comment

Hehe, I think I'm doing rather well at proving you right at the moment, Nick. Still, you don't know until you try and if something doesn't work you try something else. I've noticed that the tombolas always seem to do quite well, although goodness knows why, so with all the equipment for a stall I could diversify!

Hopefully recording my experiences, good or bad (OK, mainly bad at the moment), may be useful to anyone else thinking of trying the same sort of thing.

Maybe I should invent a reputation for myself and offer my work through up-market galleries for a four figure sum. You never know, the Emperor's Clothes syndrome might just work!
                        John

Comment

sigpicDave

Comment

Made you a graph ;

( From http://nces.ed.gov/nceskids/createagraph/default.aspx )

Comment

Dave, thanks for sharing your experiences. In some ways it's comforting to know it's not just me, but otherwise depressing to learn that it seems to be a general trend. I can always try to change my products/improve the quality/adjust the prices but it's much harder to change a trend! However, your experience with the church group shows that trying something different can pay off, so there is hope!
                              John

Comment

Working...
                              X