Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

A saga turning into a farce?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A saga turning into a farce?

Peter,
    Don't lose heart we are all in the same boat and it is my considered opinion that the economic climate has the biggest effect on sales.

Up until this year we used to do very well at craft fairs. We did even better at high end 'Art Fairs'. This year? Might as well have stayed at home for some of them. The observations my wife and I have made goes something like this.
    At most of the village/small craft fairs there are often at least five other 'photographers' trying to sell their wares.
    However at the high end of the market there seems to be an almost reverse trend. Less footfall certainly but sales seem quite buoyant.
    At a recent 'invite only' art fair run by a large Scottish insurance company we sold eight 20 x 16 ins prints in one hour and forty minutes.

Then last week end we went to a small (read miniscule) local village gala and
    sold nearly all the stock. The reason A coach load of 52 American tourists came by called in and stripped the place.

Keep at it. The good times will come. There is nothing wrong with your work from what I can see. Thesehard times will kill off the bottom feeders and thise with resove and determination will survive and go on to do well.

Trust me I'm a photographer!

"Always shoot in RAW and avoid JPEGs"

William Shakespeare.

Comment

John I am sorry to hear of your project and wish you more sales - I would not bother with more - do check out your local Council and Business Development plans - Many store have "Christmas NOW in August" to be first in; Many stores are absolutely DREADING this Christmas ... from the Internet and the Economic decline "Order on line and collect in store" means Peeps like House of Fraser are getting the Punters in and they spend a little bit more ... but thats hard graft for a pittance ... more and more stores are going Internet and not high street - and shows are losing Exhibitors ! Check the Exhibitors lists before you book and monthly thereafter ... many are cancelling - too many Peeps are not going out to where "they may spend money" .

Nick and I take Cash NO CARDS and often dont bother spending the cash - as we can do without/dont really need it ! (Except my Wolf Outdoor coat; and two furry fleeces I fell in love with ...but they will last for years keeping me warm & dry!)

Worse are e-cards ! and "de-cluttering" and "minimalist living styles"

Peeps are interested in themselves and their children/pets/possessions (motorbikes ) ... so portraits at shows are a good source of funds

Originally posted by sapper View Post
      ... the .

I did pick up a wedding from one of them I did though, that was a bonus.
      I like Pete's idea, you often used to see artists working during slack periods. A camera linked to a laptop to show the item being shot.

Having said all that, I did a talk at a local church group
      [I].
      I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
      Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album

Comment

Originally posted by Seonnaidh View Post
        Peter,
        Don't lose heart we are all in the same boat and it is my considered opinion that the economic climate has the biggest effect on sales.

Up until this year we used to do very well at craft fairs. We did even better at high end 'Art Fairs'. This year? Might as well have stayed at home for some of them. The observations my wife and I have made goes something like this.
        At most of the village/small craft fairs there are often at least five other 'photographers' trying to sell their wares.
        However at the high end of the market there seems to be an almost reverse trend. Less footfall certainly but sales seem quite buoyant.
        At a recent 'invite only' art fair run by a large Scottish insurance company we sold eight 20 x 16 ins prints in one hour and forty minutes.

Then last week end we went to a small (read miniscule) local village gala and
        sold nearly all the stock. The reason A coach load of 52 American tourists came by called in and stripped the place.

Keep at it. The good times will come. There is nothing wrong with your work from what I can see. Thesehard times will kill off the bottom feeders and thise with resove and determination will survive and go on to do well.

Trust me I'm a photographer!
        [I].

the ONE photo album

Comment

Chevvy what/who are Peeps?
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

Peeps is short for People ! aka the public/punters !
            [I].

the ONE photo album

Comment

Ah should have guessed - must go and get more coffee, or maybe time for something stronger after all it's a bank holiday
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

Originally posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
                Peeps is short for People ! aka the public/punters !
                Chevvy:

Saves just one letter!

Comment

hearts at peace under an English heaven

Comment

Not sure an individual can get a CRB check done, I think they can be done from Scotland but not England. You need a body, Scouts, Church or School for EG to do it on your behalf.
                    sigpicDave

Comment

ah first fly in the ointment then, The FA, local cricket bodies must ahve processes in place to cvover this though I'm guessing
                      hearts at peace under an English heaven

Comment

Originally posted by sapper View Post
                        Not sure an individual can get a CRB check done, I think they can be done from Scotland but not England. You need a body, Scouts, Church or School for EG to do it on your behalf.
                        [I].

the ONE photo album

Comment

Might pay to canvass a few local clubs in the first instance, to see if there is a demand and, if there is, hopefully persuade one of them to apply for a CRB check at your expense. Would there also be a demand for photographing more senior teams where CRB is not an issue? Players might like pictures of themselves in action, particularly if it is scoring a goal or hitting a six!
                          John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Sorry I meant to say "these are great ideas!" with little up front costs apart from time I wish you the best of success with this !
                            [I].

the ONE photo album

Comment

Working...
                            X