Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A saga turning into a farce?

Originally posted by Ulfric M Douglas View Post
    Haha! That's great! Really made my day - thanks Ulfric.
    John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

I've got to be honest here - I would be delighted to come across Zuiko or any other photogs at a craft fair. I would enjoy looking at the photos, and talking photography given half a chance. But I almost certainly wouldn't buy a photo print. If Snaarman was doing some live macro stuff I would be very interested, and would certainly waste his time talking about it, but with a view to "hmm, must try that at home" rather than "must buy one of the prints". I don't have many of my own photos on the walls, and the only other photog to feature is Denis Thorpe with his classic B&W of Hebden Bridge.

I would be much more tempted by a set of cards if I REALLY liked the photos. I would also be a sucker for a well-produced photo book, and willing to pay a reasonable price as long as I could take it away on the spot.

Good luck ... John

Comment

Originally posted by Bikie John View Post
        I've got to be honest here - I would be delighted to come across Zuiko or any other photogs at a craft fair. I would enjoy looking at the photos, and talking photography given half a chance. But I almost certainly wouldn't buy a photo print. If Snaarman was doing some live macro stuff I would be very interested, and would certainly waste his time talking about it, but with a view to "hmm, must try that at home" rather than "must buy one of the prints". I don't have many of my own photos on the walls, and the only other photog to feature is Denis Thorpe with his classic B&W of Hebden Bridge.

I would be much more tempted by a set of cards if I REALLY liked the photos. I would also be a sucker for a well-produced photo book, and willing to pay a reasonable price as long as I could take it away on the spot.

Good luck ... John
        John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

John, have you considered selling at an art shop on a commission basis or do they want too much?
          Last edited by BobS; 21st August 2011, 01:47 PM. Reason: An 'o' too little!
          Bob

To see what is in front of one's nose requires constant struggle.
          GEORGE ORWELL

Comment

Originally posted by Bikie John View Post

Good luck ... John
            I wouldn't expect photographers to buy my prints or cards. It is mainly women that buy my stuff.
            But, many times a photographer will eye my stuff up, mentaly comparing his/her efforts with mine it seems. Sometimes they comment, sometimes just drift away.
            sigpicDave

Comment

Is it simply that people don't put photos on their wall at home anymore?

I have decent shots that have personal significance that I'd like on the wall but "the boss" would certainly veto it.

Ulfric - you are a cruel man

'heatingman - another woodturner here!
              People comment on how good the stuff I make is, but no one would be even willing to pay the cost of the wood.

The only chance for this stuff (woodturning, photos, whatever) is to sell them in a "I saw you coming " shop ( Copyright Harry Enfield).
              E1, E520, ED14-42, ED 40-150, 70-300, Various legacy including 50mm f2 macro.

Comment

Originally posted by BobS View Post
                John, have you considered selling at an art shop on a commission basis or do they want too much?
                John

Comment

http://lindagruchy.wordpress.com/

My Flickr Photostream

Comment

Not sure if it's just Essex, but it's certainly depressing!
                    John

Comment

Judging by the local markets stalls and fairs etc., every Tom, Dick and Betty is making cards these days. Is this due to the telly shopping programmes?
                      Bob

To see what is in front of one's nose requires constant struggle.
                      GEORGE ORWELL

Comment

Originally posted by BobS View Post
                        Judging by the local markets stalls and fairs etc., every Tom, Dick and Betty is making cards these days. Is this due to the telly shopping programmes?
                        Perhaps that is why nobody buys them, everyone now makes their own!
                        John

Comment

Originally posted by LMGruchy View Post
                          O

Is it just Essex?
                          No, it's the same in Kent.
                          sigpicDave

Comment

Have read every word of this thread - and I'm now utterly depressed
                            Ceri Vale
                            (www.vale-images.co.uk)

(Latest Work)

Equipment - Olympus stuff - 'nuff said

Comment

Originally posted by CallaWolf View Post
                              Sorry Ceri, I didn't mean to depress you, depression is meant to be my speciality. Anyway, if you want to sell some pictures you might do better than me - could hardly do worse!
                              John

Comment

Originally posted by CallaWolf View Post
                                Thing to do is your market research. Ask the right questions, sus out the markets.
                                I used to try and sell pics that I liked, thats OK but other folk liked other stuff.
                                I found women liked flowers. Poppies always sell. I sold local views rather than views of the Lake district, local churches did Ok. Animals varied.
                                Having said that, I was often surprised by what some folk did buy. Stuff I have had for a while, dog eared and someone would love it, I was just glad to get rid of it.

One thing I have done is photograph local school productions.
                                Take pics at dress rehearsal, pose pics of the main characters, pose pics of support kids, choir, dancers ETC.
                                Nip down to the local photo shop and get 6 x 4's run off. Turn up on evening when parents are present, sell pics cheap and unmounted. No fuss but because pics are cheap, parents buy.
                                I have done this a few times and although I wouldn't earn a living, it does bring in the pennies.
                                Plus, you could get some portrait/wedding bookings too.
                                sigpicDave

Comment

Working...
                                X