Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES

See more
See less

Why do Pro's on other forums get so uptight about things...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do Pro's on other forums get so uptight about things...

Hi All

Sorry to get on my soapbox, but someone contacted me about another photography forum recently, which prompted me to (re)take a look on there to see what was happening, in the hope of seeing that things had improved... alas I'm afraid not.

Now I know this is really none of my business, as it is a post made on another photography forum, but I just cannot understand the attitude and tone from so called Pro togs, at someone who is just posting with a normal, friendly request for information.

It relates to Wedding photography, and being asked to do one by a friend. Here's the thread: http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/for...d.php?t=231790

The way this lady was treated was awful, and shows a dreadful level of arrogance on the part of Pro togs.

It prompted me to contact the lady in question, and, though I wasn't aware she isn't an Oly tog, I suggested she came over here where I know she will receive friendly and polite advice.

Now I know that Pro's will say they are just offering advice and she shouldn't have taken it personally, but the way they all pounce like alley cats at the mere suggestion that someone could charge for doing a wedding when they are not fully fledged wedding pro togs seems to invoke a pack mentality. Why could they [the Pros] not just answer the query without coming across in their arrogant, patronising manner.

Sorry for this criticism of that forum to any members here who are members there... but I am so glad I am not a regular contributor over there any more. I see nothing has changed.
    John

Re: Why do Pro's on other forums get so uptight about things...

John, I saw that post and thought exactly the same as you, i thought she was treated abysmally with no manners at all.

Its pretty much the standard there, everyone is a "expert" and manners are missing and if you are not in the clique then you are pretty well ignored or treated badly.

Like you I do not post often but occasionaly I do to show the "pro experts up" especially when it comes to post editing.

As a example take this thread I contributed to and notice how quite it went after I posted my fix and said that Lightroom was not up to the job in this particular case, normaly all those LR expert guys they would be down on you like a pack of dogs, so you can bet no one else or the OP could dispute it.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/for...d.php?t=229786

The raw is still there for download if you want to have a go John.
    Regards Paul.
    One day I hope to be the person my dogs think I am.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/

Comment

Hi Paul

Yep - it's like that all the time over there, yet those in command would say there's no issue at all and it remains the most welcoming, friendliest photography forum on the net. Doooon't think so...

Anyway... what a challenge that was... I've had a go at this but not sure if I'd need to spend more time on it to try to leverage better output from Lightroom. Alas... here's my effort...

Original RAW, followed by my Lightroom developed effort

John

Comment

I checked out the link and have to agree with the guy who posted this, "I think it's incredible that anyone has the brass neck to accept $1250 for doing a job they haven't a clue how to start! Amazing. "
        I don't think the guys were rude or arrogant. A bit sarky maybe, but if you can't take a bit of sarcasm, you shoulnd't be photographing weddings in my book.
        sigpicDave

Comment

But Dave, if you read further on, you'll read that she is capable and was - OK, naively I agree - just asking for some considered advice. It's not as if she has no clue, she was just asking for info et al.

I just wonder why they couldn't have answered in a polite and encouraging manner. The other thing is, it's typical of the Pro togs on that site to berate and shout when there's the most remote of suggestions that someone other than them, or who is not at their self imposed expert levels, gets asked to do a wedding.

I am not a wedding tog, and have never shot a wedding as a lone tog - but I have three booked up. The fact that I have yet to do one on my own shouldn't preclude me from doing it, and I don't need their permission, nor their blessing so to do.

It's their attitude / tone / patronising that's all wrong in my opinion, not necessarily what they say. One must remember too, that the site does indeed advertise itself as the friendliest and most welcoming photography forum on the net - something they repeatedly fail to live up to unless you're in the clique.
          John

Comment

Originally posted by theMusicMan View Post
            Hi Paul

Anyway... what a challenge that was... I've had a go at this but not sure if I'd need to spend more time on it to try to leverage better output from Lightroom. Alas... here's my effort...

Original RAW, followed by my Lightroom developed effort

Not bad John, I just tried it in Capture One 5 that I recently (Saturday) got free courtasy of Phase One.

I was quite amazed, one click of the white balence eyedropper and reduced the exposure slider and that was all.

Pehaps Silkypix pro will not be my favourite anymore!

Last edited by OlyPaul; 30th May 2010, 02:16 PM. Reason: spelling
            Regards Paul.
            One day I hope to be the person my dogs think I am.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/

Comment

Wow, I like the look of what's done in Capture One 5, Paul. Seems very easy too, whereas my effort took 10 mins!
              John

Comment

I dont think its just on other forums the pros can get "snotty"

I was the photographer for my cousins wedding yesterday, and as they are avid sports people the local press man turned up with his Canon and his amazingly long lens... who took a look at me and my son carrying our Olys and said that we should just stick it on "P" for professional.... cheeky bugger!
                Tracey Jones

Its a shame that humans dont come with autofocus, like cameras do!

Comment

I didn't bother reading the thread but one thing to consider.

This being the internet, some of the 'pros' could have shot two weddings, their cousins and a friends but that makes them a pro in their eyes.
                  It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Originally posted by sapper View Post
                    I checked out the link and have to agree with the guy who posted this, "I think it's incredible that anyone has the brass neck to accept $1250 for doing a job they haven't a clue how to start! Amazing. "
                    I don't think the guys were rude or arrogant. A bit sarky maybe, but if you can't take a bit of sarcasm, you shoulnd't be photographing weddings in my book.
                    I agree with Sapper 100% - She appears to have demonstrated a rather fragile ego,which for, one wedding or a hundred weddings is not a trait you need.

You need cheek and the skin of a rhino to do weddings - and believe or not sometimes that trait just gets you fantastic shots that fragile egos won't!

Comment

Originally posted by sapper View Post
                      Originally posted by JackBenedict View Post
                      I agree with Sapper 100% - She appears to have demonstrated a rather fragile ego,which for, one wedding or a hundred weddings is not a trait you need.

You need cheek and the skin of a rhino to do weddings - and believe or not sometimes that trait just gets you fantastic shots that fragile egos won't!
                      I think the same as Sapper and Jack.
                      The only person being rude was the lady asking for advice.
                      Everyone is a newbie at some stage, and you certainly wont make friends or influence anybody by being rude to other members, new or old.

Comment

I think the comments are vaild on both sides, but this is hardly the first thread to have been flagged up on TP as 'abrasive'

Of course with a much larger community and many more threads, it is inevitable that there will be more examples of such threads. A smaller community such as this requires everyone to be be more accommodating of everyone's views... I guess it's the difference between do you prefer a rural local for your pint or a night out in Wetherspoon's

Although there are some gems to be found on there, I find the general tone and demeanour of a number of posters on TP to not be to my taste.
                        David

Olympus E-30 | Falcon 8mm fisheye | 8mm fisheye | 12-60mm | 25mm f/2.8 pancake | 40-150mm | 50-200mm | 70-300mm | Tamron 135mm f/2.5 | EX-25 | FL-36R | YN460 & YN460-II | B&W ND110 | Lightroom 2.7 | Photoshop CS3
                        flickr - Photo52 2011
                        My Photo52 2011 Thread on TP

Comment

I thought the tone was set with the very first reply. References to needing a Kevlar vest and the inference that she'd unwisely asked a contentious question was hardly friendly and welcoming.

Sure, much of the advice that followed was sound, but to my mind it was hardly delivered in a friendly, encouraging manner - more in a negative, discouraging style. There seemed to be a lot of warnings of what not to do rather than what to do. That of course can be equally useful, but there are ways of saying it.

The bottom line is would we have welcomed a new member to our forum like that? I sincerely hope not!
                          John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

I'm not a pro, but it is easy to fall into the sarcasm mode if not careful.

I'm not going to talk about the attitude thing now, just the editing of that photo. I don't use any pro type editing programs at this point, but I do love the white balance eyedropper function in Olympus Master/Viewer RAW developer. The Capture One edit is a nice result.

Ross
                            Ross
                            I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                            Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                            Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                            Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                            Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                            Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

I have been a wedding photographer. I started doing friends for no money, did seminars with top pros and then went on to earn money.

I have also been a groom, twice, so I can see both sides.
                              While the comments from the pros may seem a little sarcastic and the questioner got a little upset, I would rather she be put off the job, as it seems she has, than her doing the job and cocking it all up.
                              Last edited by sapper; 31st May 2010, 10:25 AM. Reason: punctuation
                              sigpicDave

Comment

Working...
                              X