Wildlife Photographer of the Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wildlife Photographer of the Year

Made a trip to the big smoke yesterday and visited the Wildlife Photographer of the Year exhibition at the Natural History Museum. Some gorgeous images, leaving me feeling somewhat inadequate to be honest! I'd certainly recommend calling in to see it if you're in town.

What did sadden me a little was that it was essentially an all Canikon experience, with only one Sony (APS) and one Hassy entrant if my memory serves. Olympus wasn't represented at all in the final selection, which begs the question: "Why?" Lack of really long optics perhaps (though quite a few images were produced at 300mm, plus some macro). A surprising number (to me at least, as not someone really in to wildlife photography) used highish ISO. But then again, I would have thought the water resistance of Oly gear would have been an asset here. It would be interesting to know how much Olympus gear featured in the submitted images.

Still, I guess this exhibition should be viewed for what it is, a stunning collection of images dependent much more on the photographers' personal abilities rather than the gear they used.

Ian
    Ian

(I can never think of anything witty to say when under pressure!)

GH2, G50, various m4/3rds lenses, Fuji X-T1 system

My website: www.icimaging.co.uk

Re: Wildlife Photographer of the Year

I don't think it's a lens thing.

Most of the main comp are very very professional set ups and it's as much about spending 200 hours standing waist deep in a ditch waiting for a water vole to appear in a particular spot (from a winner a year or so back) as the lens or camera.

So you get beack to 'what equipement is someone that devoted to capturing their shot going to use?' and, much as I love my E gear for what it does for me, I wouldn't have it as my first choice (body wise).
    E, Pen and OM-D bodies
    43 m43 and legacy glass
    loads of flashes and accessories from all the systems

Comment

BTW, there were some shots taken with an OM-4Ti!

There are a very small fraction of the Oly fraternity with the 90-250 or the 300/2.8 - what you would need for these sort of shots (which is equal or more the reach of the full-frame - I hate that term - shooters). I suspect the lack of 'middle ground' prime lens (i.e. a 300/4 or 400/5.6) puts people off - it would be good if Oly could offer something like this. Most Canon and Nikon 300/2.8 and 500/4 users had these 'middle ground' lenses on the way to their big guns. The shooters were mainly using D3 or 1D bodies, with some crop-frame bodies like the 50D and D300 too. I'll look through my gallery book and try to work out a breakdown...

Andy
      Olympus E-30, E-M1 mk1&2 ZD 7-14 f4, PL 25 f1.4D
      mZuiko 12-40 f2.8 Pro, 45 f1.8, 60 f2.8, 40-150 f2.8 Pro, 300 f4 Pro
      MC-14, HLD-7, HLD-9
      Metz 58 AF-2 , Manfrotto 441, Gimbal Head, Velbon Neopod 74

("AndyElliott" @ FTU)

Comment

Comment

I think Photo Owl is probably right here. I don't know what the mix of amateur vs professonal is, but I guess if you're the type who spends 3 days in a hide in Greenland or Sweden (or somewhere very cold anyway), you're more than likely a serious professional. And as we know, they do tend to gravitate towards Canikon.

Let's not take anything away from those who endure serious deprivation for their art/business, and not only witness a rare event but still manage to get a fantastic shot. I know I wouldn't be prepared to do that.

Ian
          Ian

(I can never think of anything witty to say when under pressure!)

GH2, G50, various m4/3rds lenses, Fuji X-T1 system

My website: www.icimaging.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Rawcoll View Post
            I think Photo Owl is probably right here. I don't know what the mix of amateur vs professonal is, but I guess if you're the type who spends 3 days in a hide in Greenland or Sweden (or somewhere very cold anyway), you're more than likely a serious professional. And as we know, they do tend to gravitate towards Canikon.

Let's not take anything away from those who endure serious deprivation for their art/business, and not only witness a rare event but still manage to get a fantastic shot. I know I wouldn't be prepared to do that.

Ian
            I'm going to have fun asking the 'pro' shooters around me on my trip to the British Wildlife Centre in April how well they like their weather sealing and if their back hurts from the 500/4 coupled to full-frame body... And if they ever get to use their lenses wide-open or are wrens just too 'thick' for such a shallow DOF...

Should be a good day - 12 togs (8, at least, are pros) with the whole of the BWC to ourselves for a day!

Andy
            Olympus E-30, E-M1 mk1&2 ZD 7-14 f4, PL 25 f1.4D
            mZuiko 12-40 f2.8 Pro, 45 f1.8, 60 f2.8, 40-150 f2.8 Pro, 300 f4 Pro
            MC-14, HLD-7, HLD-9
            Metz 58 AF-2 , Manfrotto 441, Gimbal Head, Velbon Neopod 74

("AndyElliott" @ FTU)

Comment

Working...
            X