Photographic opportunities in Ayrshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photographic opportunities in Ayrshire

My wife and I are thinking of spending a weeks holiday in Ayrshire next year in mid March to early April. We have spotted a cottage that looks interesting near Ayr and we are now trying to find out more about the area. It is an area that neither of us know at all, I just wondered what the photographic opportunities are like.

So dear forum members, do you have any knowledge of the area that you would be kind enough to share?

Cheers

Chris

Re: Photographic opportunities in Ayrshire

We visited Culzean Castle some years ago when the children were small and I remember there being a lot of scope for pictures there (http://www.culzeanexperience.org/). It is not too far from Ayr and, IIRC, the road there goes anong the famous "Electric Brae" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_Brae) where the road appears to be going uphill when it is actually going down.

Going north a fair bit from Ayr you will find the town of Largs, the site of a famous battle in the 11th century where the Vikings were defeated. It is also the site of Nardini's ice cream parlour where you can get a very nice lunch and, of course, superb ice cream. I don't think the sailing season starts as early as April but Largs is one of the stops where the Waverley paddle steamer (http://www.waverleyexcursions.co.uk/) pulls in to pick up passengers and if you see her on a fine day, as we did at Largs a couple of years ago, she is a wonderful sight

The coastline itself can be very photogenic. There are sand dunes in the vicinity of Troon and some cliffs and rocky coves further south. I think there would be a good variety of shore waders to be seen. We once stayed in a wonderful cottage (sadly no longer for hire ) right on the shore on the island Bute and there were redshanks, curlew, sandpipers, oystercatchers, herons and many, many more to be seen. Fantastic

If you like cycling then I would recommend taking the car ferry from Largs over to Great Cumbrae and driving to the small town of Millport where bikes can be hired. There is a road that goes right around the island and it is not too far to cycle in an afternoon as long as the wind is not too strong. There is also a road that goes over the top of the island from where you can get good views of the Firth of Clyde, great for panoramas I would imagine

I hope this has given you some ideas for excursions in Ayrshire. It is a very nice part of the world and I'm sure you will enjoy it

Cheers,

JohnGG

Comment

Dear John,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write such an informative reply, we are both very appreciative. You certainly have give us some great information to research. Visiting Ayrshire could be worth it just for the ice cream by the sound of it!

We were a little worried by how limited the responses were from google but as we would only be staying for a week there seems more than enough to explore. The cottage that we are thinking of is right on the edge of a loch with woods nearby which hopefully will keep the shutter busy.

I was extremely interested to read about all the birds that you saw, I always enjoy trying to capture our feathered friends on camera. I am also interested in your comments about the coastline, so as long as we are fortunate with the weather a week away may well evaporate far too quickly.

Thanks again from both of us

Chris

Comment

Some great places to go and get some shots. Here is a link to Peter Ribbeck's photostream on Flickr. Most of his shots are taken in this area.

Peter Ribbeck - click here
        My Flickr Home Page

Comment

I can highly recommend a day trip to the Isle of Arran. The ferry leaves from Ardrossan and takes just under an hour. Arran has spectacular mountains and coastline. Brodick Castle, owned by the National Trust for Scotland, and the Arran distillery are well worth a visit.

Ian C.

From Goatfell, Arran.

Comment

U can't go wrong in that part of the world. Its all spectacular

Comment

Dear Gregles, Ian and Yorky,

Thanks to you all for your replies, they are much appreciated by us. I think we are now very close to booking our week away next April. Ian certainly persuaded my wife as she would love to visit the whiskey distillery, the producers of one of her favourite malts. Thanks Gregles for the link to the gallery which is very interesting indeed.

Cheers

Chris

Comment

Working...
              X