Leap in numbers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leap in numbers.

Most pleasing to note the rise in membership over this holiday period. It is great to see the content of most posts being so helpful to others.

The gallery shots have certainly enabled me to think more in the way I compose my pix.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is thanks to everyone who has contributed to make this site both informative and lively. Most importantly the comradeship is brilliant.

Thanks so much and please post your thoughts etc - keep it clean though lol.

Happy New Year.

Barr1e
    Just like that - gone in a flash! Now in use.

Re: Leap in numbers.

Couldn't agree more with the sentiments expressed. Just a pity that the weather's been awful on the days I've had off would have been nice. Maybe some later in the winter

Originally posted by Barr1e View Post
    keep it clean though lol.
    Unless of course you're taking a picture of rain & mud in which case keeping it clean wouln't be fun would it

Regards
    Andy
    Last edited by shenstone; 28th December 2007, 06:11 PM. Reason: spelling
    My Kit (OK I'm a hoarder...)
    4/3 E500, E510, E30 + 35macro, 50macro, 7-14, 11-22, 14-45 (x2), 14-54, 40-150 (both types), 50-200, 70-300, 50-500,
    m 4/3 EM1MkII + 60 macro, 12-100 Pro
    FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
    The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
    http://www.shenstone.me.uk
    http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
    https://vimeo.com/shenstone
    http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/

Comment

I'll drink to that

Well said.

Phil

Comment

Yep, can raise a glass to that as well

John.

Comment

Its a really great forum. Being a new website and attracting new members is refreshing. Everyone seems to have a common purpose to learn and share experience. I guess it is helped being a single manufacturer site as it avoids the squabling about Nikon/Olympus/Cannon etc products and allows us to concentrate on the positives.

The standard of the images in the gallery are very good and far ranging. I can see the attraction for visitors and hope even more join.

Happy New Year to all members and visitors

PeterD

Comment

Peter and Barr1e's sentiments are spot on. Posts are always interesting and friendly - long may it remain so. Happy New Year to everyone - ah my glass is empty........
            Cheers
            Chris

Comment

Originally posted by beardedwombat View Post
              Peter and Barr1e's sentiments are spot on. Posts are always interesting and friendly - long may it remain so. Happy New Year to everyone - ah my glass is empty........
              Cheers
              Chris
              My glass has never been so busy - lol. It is either the food or the booze which has expanded the centre ring of blubber as my jeans are somewhat tight this morning.

I have withdrawal symptons as I haven't clicked for 36 hours. I think our granddaughter has had her pic taken so often over the holidays her teeth are firmly set in the cheese department - possibly no clicks today either due to the various comings and goings at the A+B towers.

What paper do you folk use for your portrait/landscapes prints please.

Have a happy day.

Barr1e

Comment

My glass has never been so busy - lol. It is either the food or the booze which has expanded the centre ring of blubber as my jeans are somewhat tight this morning.

I have withdrawal symptons as I haven't clicked for 36 hours. I think our granddaughter has had her pic taken so often over the holidays her teeth are firmly set in the cheese department - possibly no clicks today either due to the various comings and goings at the A+B towers.

What paper do you folk use for your portrait/landscapes prints please.

Have a happy day.

Barr1e

Barrie

I know what you mean on the jeans front. My problem is compounded by my conviction that I am one size smaller than I really am

As for which papers to use for printing portrait/landscape images. I have used what probably most 'amateurs' use by default, glossy. Having seen prints by more experienced amateurs, they seem to choose the paper to suit the subject/mood etc. I shall be trying out some Matt/Semi Matt papers to check the effect on image types. I think this is probably more important with portraits as glossy paper does not always bring out the skin tones and the shinyness detracts from the image quality. But they are my thoughts which I need to confirm by experiment.

Enjoy the rest of the festive season and happy new year to you.

PeterD

Comment

Originally posted by PeterD View Post
                  Barrie

I know what you mean on the jeans front. My problem is compounded by my conviction that I am one size smaller than I really am

As for which papers to use for printing portrait/landscape images. I have used what probably most 'amateurs' use by default, glossy. Having seen prints by more experienced amateurs, they seem to choose the paper to suit the subject/mood etc. I shall be trying out some Matt/Semi Matt papers to check the effect on image types. I think this is probably more important with portraits as glossy paper does not always bring out the skin tones and the shinyness detracts from the image quality. But they are my thoughts which I need to confirm by experiment.

Enjoy the rest of the festive season and happy new year to you.

PeterD
                  When collecting the mother in law - she's ninety two tomorrow and still going strong I popped in to Staples for some Epson photographic paper. Thank goodness they were out of the two I have always used one being Photo Paper S041140 and the other Premium Gloss. I have always said to Anne in the past that the prints look flat and lifeless.

Staples (not my normal port of call for paper) only had two of the Epson range in stock (A4) 'Ultra Glossy' 300g/m S041927 which produced some pretty good pix although I'm not a lover of gloss.
                  The other, being 'Premium Semigloss' Photo Paper 251g/m S041332, really impressed me. The image showed good fine detail in an almost gloss/matt finish.
                  I use the 'Qimage' program for printing (I highly recommend it) along with an Epson R1800 printer. I must purchase some matt and trial that too.

Regards. Barr1e

Comment

Most pleasing to note the rise in membership over this holiday period. It is great to see the content of most posts being so helpful to others.

The gallery shots have certainly enabled me to think more in the way I compose my pix.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is thanks to everyone who has contributed to make this site both informative and lively. Most importantly the comradeship is brilliant.

Thanks so much and please post your thoughts etc - keep it clean though lol.

Happy New Year.

Barr1e
                    GG - we are almost at 300.

Regards. B

Comment

Originally posted by PeterD View Post
                      Barrie
                      shall be trying out some Matt/Semi Matt papers to check the effect on image types. I think this is probably more important with portraits as glossy paper does not always bring out the skin tones and the shinyness detracts from the image quality.
                      PeterD
                      Hmm, certainly in my film B&W days glossy was always considered to give the best dynamic range - whitest whites and blackest blacks - and hence 'sparkle'. Whilst to achieve an 'artistic' effect, the greatest dynamic range isn't always appropriate, it's generally dynamic range that we struggle with and that most deviates from the actual scene shot. It was often quite difficult to avoid 'muddy' prints with matt papers.

Jim Ford

Comment

I am interested in papers now. I have used Fujifilm Premium Glossy from 7dayshop for several years now. Its a really heavy 270gsm paper at a very realistic price. I am thinking about trying the satin for portraits and art mono pictures. Look forward to you thoughts.

Comment

Working...
                        X