Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Yorkshire Flooding.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yorkshire Flooding.

I hope that our Yorksire subscribers are unaffected by the flooding, but I wonder if 'Otto' is OK because he's gone quiet the past few days. ISTRC he lives by a river.

Jim

Re: Yorkshire Flooding.

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
    I hope that our Yorksire subscribers are unaffected by the flooding, but I wonder if 'Otto' is OK because he's gone quiet the past few days. ISTRC he lives by a river.

Jim
    It is now 2 weeks since Otto made a post and a week since he logged into the forum as a member. Hopefully he's simply taking a break.

Jax

Comment

If it is any comfort the flooding is quite localised to the Doncaster and North Derbyshire area. We have had a huge amount of rain here in the North East too but not enough to cause flooding. The ground is sodden though so any significant rainfall could cause some flooding.

From memory Otto lives up in Swaledale which I don't think is affected.

We visited York last Saturday which is particularly prone to flooding, and only twenty minutes by train from Doncaster. The river was a little higher than usual but nothing out of the ordinary.

This phenomena of localised flooding seems to be one of the characteristics of climate change so it seems we will have to get used to it. South Yorkshire had severe flooding about ten years ago, and it seems the land is not very well drained because it took weeks for the water to subside. Flood defences have helped but once again it seems that failure to dredge rivers (now they no longer carry commercial traffic) is one of the major contributing factors.
      ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post

This phenomena of localised flooding seems to be one of the characteristics of climate change so it seems we will have to get used to it. South Yorkshire had severe flooding about ten years ago, and it seems the land is not very well drained because it took weeks for the water to subside. Flood defences have helped but once again it seems that failure to dredge rivers (now they no longer carry commercial traffic) is one of the major contributing factors.

Comment

Clearing those smaller water courses only makes flooding worse. A natural stream will have many places where fallen logs will create mini-dams which will slow and hold back some of the water. Moorlands are being grossly mismanaged for the singular aim of enhancing driven grouse shooting massively reducing their ability to absorb these high-rainfall events so the run-off overwhelms the watercourses. They are regularly burned adding to CO2 emissions whilst degrading their ability to act as CO2 sinks. And as a result ordinary people suffer.
          Best wishes

Wildwood

Comment

Some years back we had some serious flooding issues that resulted in the drainage system being recommended for a major upgrade. It transpired that much of the problem was down to fly tipping rubbish into the drains via the inspection panels on the roads etc. The brain dead emptying building material leftovers such as cement, bricks and mortar, plus bagged rubbish.

No doubt the same goes into the natural waterways both large and small.

If you want a cheap bike, go to Holland? Some time back they retrieved around 2,000 from the canals. We are, without a doubt, our own worst enemy.
            It's not what inspires us that is important, it's where the journey takes us.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Comment

Originally posted by Wally View Post
              Some years back we had some serious flooding issues that resulted in the drainage system being recommended for a major upgrade. It transpired that much of the problem was down to fly tipping rubbish into the drains via the inspection panels on the roads etc. The brain dead emptying building material leftovers such as cement, bricks and mortar, plus bagged rubbish.

No doubt the same goes into the natural waterways both large and small.

If you want a cheap bike, go to Holland? Some time back they retrieved around 2,000 from the canals. We are, without a doubt, our own worst enemy.
              Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

You mean concrete and Tarmac don't absorb rain water?

And does water run downhill to flood plains?

Has anyone told the Council Planning Department about this?
                ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
                  You mean concrete and Tarmac don't absorb rain water?

And does water run downhill to flood plains?

Has anyone told the Council Planning Department about this?

Please explain the connection between council and planning

Comment

Watching the aerial views of the flooding it was noticeable that many of the flooded areas were retail parks etc along with houses and the current drive to build and tarmac over our countryside which is the 'natural' sponge for rain will only make the situation worse, tarmac and concrete do not absorb rain it runs to the lowest area and the million houses that we are told the country needs will only make matters far worse.

Planners/Councils are head in sand i'm afraid driven by Government they just allow anything and everything to go ahead and are powerless to fight the multi million pound large house builders in the courts (they barely have enough money for social services). Locally here they want 20,000+ houses and more if another road is built tarmacing huge areas of countryside in the belief that it will solve traffic problems. I fear for the future locally.

Otto is usually up to a good input here but perhaps he is affected somehow, also I have noticed on another subject that Paul (Pdk42) has not been around much either and i'm missing his quality pictures and input??

Peter
                    OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
                    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
                    www.flickr.com/photos/141996687@N02/

Comment

Originally posted by Rocknroll59 View Post
                      Otto is usually up to a good input here but perhaps he is affected somehow, also I have noticed on another subject that Paul (Pdk42) has not been around much either and i'm missing his quality pictures and input??

Peter
                      I think we must be careful on this subject. I have had contact with Paul, he says he is very busy. Also contacted Phil from Kenya. He hopes to get back to photography once the rains stop...
                      Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Thanks for the info Mark....let's hope the rain relents soon..
                        OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
                        I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
                        www.flickr.com/photos/141996687@N02/

Comment

Originally posted by Rocknroll59 View Post
                          Planners/Councils are head in sand i'm afraid driven by Government they just allow anything and everything to go ahead and are powerless to fight the multi million pound large house builders in the courts (they barely have enough money for social services).

Planning is nothing to do with the courts. The developers can appeal to Secretary of State but that's it. It's a purely political matter. Councils are generally caught between a rock and a hard place. They're told by central government that they must build so many houses so they have to try to make the best out of a bad job.
                          Best wishes

Wildwood

Comment

Brown envelopes have a lot to do with planning permission

Comment

Originally posted by Wildwood View Post
                              Planning is nothing to do with the courts. The developers can appeal to Secretary of State but that's it. It's a purely political matter. Councils are generally caught between a rock and a hard place. They're told by central government that they must build so many houses so they have to try to make the best out of a bad job.
                              Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X