Yorkshire Flooding.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Yorkshire Flooding.

You missed out Lincolnshire. Currently we have bad flooding around a place called Short Ferry, between Fiskerton and Bardney.
    Pictures show a farm sitting in a lake, water everywhere.
    Lots of moans about getting the sugar beet and spuds out of the ground and the winter wheat in.
    Look out for shortages and increased prices in the near future.
    David

Comment

Originally posted by Tram View Post
      Brown envelopes have a lot to do with planning permission
      ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Rocknroll59 View Post
        Thanks for the info Mark....let's hope the rain relents soon..
        Please send it to Australia. My brother and his wife live there and have loaded their car ready to evacuate. They need significant rainfall to damp down the bush fires but none is forecast for weeks.
        ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

I think it varies. The developer of course want to build on the flood plain as it maximises their profits and that has happened in nearby towns (my town isn't on a flood plane). There's an awful lot of new houses going up around here but then again I live on fairly new (1980s) development so any NIMBYism on my part would be hypocrisy. .The driver for all of this is population growth. The dire negative impacts of population growth is never discussed in respect a certain, divisive political issue. It's currently running at a rate where we effectively need to build 2 towns the size of Northampton to keep up.
          Best wishes

Wildwood

Comment

Originally posted by Wildwood View Post
            I think it varies. The developer of course want to build on the flood plain as it maximises their profits and that has happened in nearby towns (my town isn't on a flood plane). There's an awful lot of new houses going up around here but then again I live on fairly new (1980s) development so any NIMBYism on my part would be hypocrisy. .The driver for all of this is population growth. The dire negative impacts of population growth is never discussed in respect a certain, divisive political issue. It's currently running at a rate where we effectively need to build 2 towns the size of Northampton to keep up.
            I find myself leaning towards the Lib Dems at the moment except for one proposal. They say they want to "resettle 10,000 child migrants per year", every year. That is in addition to adult migrants and others who want to come here, plus the adults who will no doubt claim they are related to the child migrants.

While this is a laudable aim we are a small island, and already have a greater density of population than many of our European neighbours. How many more towns the size of Northampton will we need to build every year?

That probably makes me some kind of 'ist' or 'phobe' in the eyes of the liberal elite. However, it is worth mentioning that the construction industry, and the concrete production in particular is responsible for creating more greenhouse gasses than air and road transport combined.

Ideally developers would be building on brownfield sites so that green fields can be used to grow crops or timber, thereby absorbing CO2, but the developers don't want the cost of clearing these old sites.
            ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
              I find myself leaning towards the Lib Dems at the moment except for one proposal. They say they want to "resettle 10,000 child migrants per year", every year. That is in addition to adult migrants and others who want to come here, plus the adults who will no doubt claim they are related to the child migrants.

While this is a laudable aim we are a small island, and already have a greater density of population than many of our European neighbours. How many more towns the size of Northampton will we need to build every year?

That probably makes me some kind of 'ist' or 'phobe' in the eyes of the liberal elite. However, it is worth mentioning that the construction industry, and the concrete production in particular is responsible for creating more greenhouse gasses than air and road transport combined.

Ideally developers would be building on brownfield sites so that green fields can be used to grow crops or timber, thereby absorbing CO2, but the developers don't want the cost of clearing these old sites.

I'm not sure where you got your emission figures from. From what I can see transport is the single largest component of CO2 emissions at 27%.
              Best wishes

Wildwood

Comment

The Guardian's take...

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...rbon-emissions

Our need for electricity to power our toasters and washing machines, as well as heavy industrial power requirement top the list I think...…...
                Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by MJ224 View Post
                  And charging electric cars?
                  ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

... Ideally developers would be building on brownfield sites so that green fields can be used to grow crops or timber, thereby absorbing CO2, but the developers don't want the cost of clearing these old sites.
                    I stand to be corrected? However, AFAIK I've been led to believe that the green sites do not attract the VAT% stinky thingy. The brownfield sites apparently do?
                    It's not what inspires us that is important, it's where the journey takes us.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Comment

Originally posted by Wildwood View Post
                      I'm not sure where you got your emission figures from. From what I can see transport is the single largest component of CO2 emissions at 27%.
                      I hadn't thought of the construction industry myself until I read an interesting report on the BBC website. I did post a link at the time but cannot find it at the moment.

From memory the construction industry accounted for about 40% of total CO2 emissions. The explanation is that construction materials are heavy to transport, and are often shipped very long distances. Cement and brick manufacturing processes in particular are very energy intensive whilst concrete and mortar liberate significant quantities of CO2 during processing and at the curing stage.
                      ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

And charging electric cars?
                        Well a bit, but my car electricity comes from renewables, ie solar and wind via Ecotricity...

No transport will ever be zero carbon, 'cos you gotta make the car in the first place
                        Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by MJ224 View Post
                          Well a bit, but my car electricity comes from renewables, ie solar and wind via Ecotricity...

No transport will ever be zero carbon, 'cos you gotta make the car in the first place

There may be a ray of sunshine ion the horizon in that respect?

3D printing, providing you can get the right sizes of paper.

If it works, just make sure to keep it out of the rain before it gets repulped / recycled before you can print the keys.
                          It's not what inspires us that is important, it's where the journey takes us.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Comment

I hadn't thought of the construction industry myself until I read an interesting report on the BBC website. I did post a link at the time but cannot find it at the moment.

From memory the construction industry accounted for about 40% of total CO2 emissions. The explanation is that construction materials are heavy to transport, and are often shipped very long distances. Cement and brick manufacturing processes in particular are very energy intensive whilst concrete and mortar liberate significant quantities of CO2 during processing and at the curing stage.
                            According to a recent program on the Discovery Channel, concrete is the 2nd largest commodity used on the planet, water being the largest.

Food for thought

Jax

Comment

Originally posted by mik View Post
                              Please explain the connection between council and planning
                              When used in the same sentence they become an oxymoron.
                              John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Originally posted by Jax View Post
                                According to a recent program on the Discovery Channel, concrete is the 2nd largest commodity used on the planet, water being the largest.

Food for thought

Jax
                                The BBC reports discussed the huge volumes of concrete being used to build roads, airport runways and foundation for those clean, green wind turbines.

Several wind turbines have caught fire near to us over the past couple of years. I presume the smoke and fumes given off will be non-toxic and carbon neutral given that they are 'electric(al) fires'.
                                ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Working...
                                X