Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES

See more
See less

Campus censorship an epidemic at UK universities?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Campus censorship an epidemic at UK universities?

    I read an interesting but worrying article in The Times today about censorship in Britain's university campuses. I cannot find the article online [yet] but I did find two related articles; one in The Independent and one in The Spectator.

    (There was an altogether more sensational article in The Sun but I didn't bother with that, or the side bar explaining to Sun readers what a university was. )

    There was a time when our universities were a haven for liberalism and free speech but no longer. I did wonder where this censorship was coming from but reading the article in The Independent it seems students’ unions are four times more likely to put bans in place on campus than the universities themselves.

    Am I the only one to find this insidious censorship rather worrying? If free thinking is no longer allowed at university where will our free thinkers come from?


    The Independent: Campus censorship ‘an epidemic’ at UK universities?l

    The Spectator: Millennials don’t fear censorship because they plan on doing all the censoring
    ---------------

    Naughty Nigel


    Difficult is worth doing

  • #2
    Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
    I read an interesting but worrying article in The Times today about censorship in Britain's university campuses. I cannot find the article online [yet] but I did find two related articles; one in The Independent and one in The Spectator.

    (There was an altogether more sensational article in The Sun but I didn't bother with that, or the side bar explaining to Sun readers what a university was. )

    There was a time when our universities were a haven for liberalism and free speech but no longer. I did wonder where this censorship was coming from but reading the article in The Independent it seems students’ unions are four times more likely to put bans in place on campus than the universities themselves.

    Am I the only one to find this insidious censorship rather worrying? If free thinking is no longer allowed at university where will our free thinkers come from?


    The Independent: Campus censorship ‘an epidemic’ at UK universities?l

    The Spectator: Millennials don’t fear censorship because they plan on doing all the censoring

    I agree. The snowflake contingency of students today seem to want to ban anyone who dares share an alternative view. Its the exact opposite of what life at a University is supposed to be about.


    Its even worse in America These are our future ?

    [ame]https://twitter.com/YAAS_America/status/1157885849796775936[/ame]

    just amazing.
    Dave

    My Flickr

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by wornish View Post
      I agree. The snowflake contingency of students today seem to want to ban anyone who dares share an alternative view. Its the exact opposite of what life at a University is supposed to be about.


      Its even worse in America These are our future ?

      https://twitter.com/YAAS_America/sta...85849796775936

      just amazing.
      Why do you always use derogatory terms when referring to the younger generation?

      OK Boomer seems to be the accepted new response to this type of comment

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Tram View Post
        Why do you always use derogatory terms when referring to the younger generation?

        OK Boomer seems to be the accepted new response to this type of comment
        It's not derogatory it is an accurate description of those who want to close down debate. I did not say all youngsters are snowflakes just the ones that try and stop sharing of alternative ideas and think the whole world should revolve around them. They are all me me me and would benefit from a spell of military service.

        I have no idea what a Boomer is? If its someone who says what he thinks and argues his case then fine.
        Dave

        My Flickr

        Comment


        • #5

          Comment


          • #6
            ---------------

            Naughty Nigel


            Difficult is worth doing

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by wornish View Post
              It's not derogatory it is an accurate description of those who want to close down debate. I did not say all youngsters are snowflakes just the ones that try and stop sharing of alternative ideas and think the whole world should revolve around them. They are all me me me and would benefit from a spell of military service.

              I have no idea what a Boomer is? If its someone who says what he thinks and argues his case then fine.
              You are still using a derogatory term whether its for a small group or the entire collective.
              No different to "Gammon" which I recall ruffles a few feathers

              National service was hardly a success probably the reason it was discontinued in 1960.
              The younger generation would say the Boomers are all me, me, me and in many ways they are right.
              Get over it, your day has been and gone, whether you like it or not these youngsters will soon be running the show.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
                Dave, I think the term 'Boomer' refers to 'Baby Boomers who are generally held to have been born between 1946 and 1964.

                I suppose that includes me then.
                OK Boomer....

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Tram View Post
                  Get over it, your day has been and gone, whether you like it or not these youngsters will soon be running the show.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
                    Dave, I think the term 'Boomer' refers to 'Baby Boomers who are generally held to have been born between 1946 and 1964.

                    I suppose that includes me then.
                    Thanks for explaining.
                    So yes, I am one.
                    Dave

                    My Flickr

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by wornish View Post
                      Thanks for explaining.
                      So yes, I am one.
                      Me too !

                      Jax

                      Comment


                      • #12

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Tram View Post
                          Here we go again, all the usual suspects wound up like the Duracell bunny
                          (small cuddly toy powered by dry cells)
                          Leave you to it then, have a good one and watch out for those meddling kids
                          (reference to Scooby Doo, look that one up)
                          Not a Boomer I take it?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Tram View Post
                            You are still using a derogatory term whether its for a small group or the entire collective.
                            No different to "Gammon" which I recall ruffles a few feathers

                            National service was hardly a success probably the reason it was discontinued in 1960.
                            The younger generation would say the Boomers are all me, me, me and in many ways they are right.
                            Get over it, your day has been and gone, whether you like it or not these youngsters will soon be running the show.

                            Oh dear.
                            What is a Gammon? I am so sorry for not using the latest terms.

                            Yes, I am now retired but I certainly was prepared to work hard to get what I wanted. To argue my point but still learn from others.

                            When bringing up my kids they sometimes would say something that happened was not fair. I told them if there is one lesson they need to learn in life its the fact that the world is not fair. You get out what you put in - less tax of course
                            Dave

                            My Flickr

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Tram View Post
                              Here we go again, all the usual suspects wound up like the Duracell bunny
                              (small cuddly toy powered by dry cells)
                              Leave you to it then, have a good one and watch out for those meddling kids
                              (reference to Scooby Doo, look that one up)
                              Wow I feel really elated ! Not only have I realised I am a Boomer but also no doubt classed as a " usual suspect ".

                              Recognition at last !

                              Jax

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X