Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Campus censorship an epidemic at UK universities?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
      I sometimes wonder whether an abrupt end to someones life is easier to deal with, compared to the person you know being progressively 'stolen' from you over years by dementia or Alzheimer's.

Jim
      Debated this myself Jim, my old ma was getting very forgetful and we had begun to worry about her wellbeing. Had spoken to the doctor and it was becoming a genuine concern.
      On the other hand for all concerned I would not wish that traumatic experience on anyone. A very violent and distressing way to end one's life, probably best we don't get to choose.

Would say one thing and please don't judge me by this statement.
      I see so many people themselves no youngsters struggling to care for their very elderly parents. Must admit to feeling very relieved not having to deal with it. My Dad passed away over thirty years ago and my in-laws are long gone too. That is from a purely selfish point of view, but who knows if I had been given a choice.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
          I sometimes wonder whether an abrupt end to someones life is easier to deal with, compared to the person you know being progressively 'stolen' from you over years by dementia or Alzheimer's.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Tram View Post

Would say one thing and please don't judge me by this statement.
            I see so many people themselves no youngsters struggling to care for their very elderly parents. Must admit to feeling very relieved not having to deal with it. My Dad passed away over thirty years ago and my in-laws are long gone too. That is from a purely selfish point of view, but who knows if I had been given a choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Jax View Post
              The loss of parents and elderly relatives is something we all have to face at some point in our lives. It is all part of the cycle of life and death.

How much more devastating must it be to lose a child, a son or daughter especially in violent circumstances similar to ones that appear on our news almost daily. I honestly have no idea how anyone copes with that.

Jax

Comment

Unfortunately that's the law. I am determined not to become a burden when my Parkinsons symptoms reach the stage that I can no longer look after myself. However, as the law stands, it would be a crime if another person assists me and that means I will need to do the deed earlier than needs be, whilst I am still capable of doing it alone.
                John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
                  Unfortunately that's the law. I am determined not to become a burden when my Parkinsons symptoms reach the stage that I can no longer look after myself. However, as the law stands, it would be a crime if another person assists me and that means I will need to do the deed earlier than needs be, whilst I am still capable of doing it alone.
                  Not making light of your post but.... Illegal or not, I feel sure when my time comes there will be no shortage of volunteers ! Probably need a Traffic Warden to control the queue

Jax

Comment

Originally posted by Jax View Post
                    Not making light of your post but.... Illegal or not, I feel sure when my time comes there will be no shortage of volunteers ! Probably need a Traffic Warden to control the queue

Jax
                    Oh, I think you have to make light of these situations, it would be a bit grim if we didn't.
                    John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

My partner's friend's husband's father was in the Wermacht during the war as a young man. He went A.W.O.L. and was eventually caught. He was sentenced to a prison term. His mother appealed and the sentence was reviewed. He was then sentenced to death and shot! I often wonder how his mother felt, having through her action had him killed!

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
                        Our politicians seem to think that legalising any form of euthanasia would put elderly and vulnerable people at risk, particularly if they have money one presumes.

I suspect the medical profession may also be worried about the risks of legal action by relatives who did not agree to the termination of a life.

I certainly wouldn't want to be kept alive in a demented or vegetative state.

What is your take on it John?
                        ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Jim
                          www.jim-mccabe.co.uk
                          http://www.jimmccabephotography.blogspot.com
                          (My Travels in Aus & NZ)

Comment

Working...
                          X