Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Campus censorship an epidemic at UK universities?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ian View Post
    I have received a complaint about this thread. Reading through the thread it seems to swing wildly from open dissent to sweetness and light.
    "Sweetness and light" is a bit anodyne for my taste. I prefer discussions to be a bit 'edgey'!

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by wornish View Post
      It was before my time but both my brothers did serve and it did them no harm.
      Switzerland still has conscription I believe.
      And Israel, including women.
      ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Dewi9 View Post
            I think 'censorship' and 'political correctness' is everely hampering free speech. I am finding it very difficult to say anything these days for fear of offense.
            I mean, how long is it since you heard a joke starting ' there was an Englishman, an Irishman and a Welshman ....'

David
            It used to be Englishman, Irishman and a Scotsman but they had to cease by order of Nicola Sturgeon

Jax

Comment

It used to be Englishman, Irishman and a Scotsman but they had to cease by order of Nicola Sturgeon
              Like it !
              David

Comment

Originally posted by Dewi9 View Post
                I think 'censorship' and 'political correctness' is severely hampering free speech. I am finding it very difficult to say anything these days for fear of offense.
                I mean, how long is it since you heard a joke starting ' there was an Englishman, an Irishman and a Welshman ....' David

Should that be '..a person currently resident in England, .do. in either the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland, ...etc.'
                Mike
                visit my Natural History Photos website:
                http://www.botanicdesign.co.uk/Natur...story/home.htm

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Tram View Post
                    I suffered from some form of mental illness following my mum being killed in a road accident.
                    This was exacerbated after viewing the CCTV recording of the incident.

Some people think those affected just need a kick up the backside to shake them out of it
                    One of those things that you feel you will never be affected by, big shock when you are.

There is a lack of help available on the NHS, in my case counselling was only offered after being on a waiting list for three months.

Fortunately I recovered without the need for medication or therapy, presumably just grief and shock in my case.
                    Since then I have been far more understanding of those affected and realise it really is a serious illness
                    I am very sorry to hear that Tram. how long ago was this?

I would expect that to be a traumatic experience at any time, only made worse by the CCTV footage. Grief can affect us all in strange ways but it is an essential part of getting over the loss of loved ones. Some people try to suppress grief but sooner or later it catches up with them. It is an essential healing process that we cannot escape.
                    ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
                      I am very sorry to hear that Tram. how long ago was this?

I would expect that to be a traumatic experience at any time, only made worse by the CCTV footage. Grief can affect us all in strange ways but it is an essential part of getting over the loss of loved ones. Some people try to suppress grief but sooner or later it catches up with them. It is an essential healing process that we cannot escape.
                      Thank you Nigel, it will be five years on Jan 25th
                      Ma survived the blitz ,TB, and breast cancer only to get run over and killed at 88.
                      It was at the end of my road, someone came to tell me and went straight there.
                      CCTV at a car park caught the entire thing and it was played back to me by the police.

No siblings or other extended family so just had to get on with it.
                      Very strange, her house was like the Marie Celeste, she had only popped out to the shop
                      Fine until I stopped then came crashing down, not myself for a while.
                      Wife and daughter were great and gradually improved, took a few months though.

Comment

Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Tram View Post
                              Thank you Nigel, it will be five years on Jan 25th
                              Ma survived the blitz ,TB, and breast cancer only to get run over and killed at 88.
                              It was at the end of my road, someone came to tell me and went straight there.
                              CCTV at a car park caught the entire thing and it was played back to me by the police.
                              Thank you for being so open about your personal grief Tram. As you say it is such a sad irony, your mother having lived through so much only to be taken so suddenly and cruelly. I really don't know how I would cope in such a situation but somehow we find the strength to carry on.

You never truly get over a tragedy like this but time does eventually heal the hurt. My own parents died nearly twenty years ago now and I still have my moments.
                              ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
                                Thank you for being so open about your personal grief Tram. As you say it is such a sad irony, your mother having lived through so much only to be taken so suddenly and cruelly. I really don't know how I would cope in such a situation but somehow we find the strength to carry on.

You never truly get over a tragedy like this but time does eventually heal the hurt. My own parents died nearly twenty years ago now and I still have my moments.
                                Being open about it is one of the ways I deal with what I still find to be a very shocking event.
                                Also like to think it makes others realise you can admit to having mental health issues.
                                Anyone who knows me would have thought I would be the last person to be affected in that way.

It also highlighted the problem that help isn't available when its most needed.
                                Counselling for whatever the issue is needs to be there at the outset, not three months later.

These events have also changed my outlook on life quite a lot too.
                                Never put off what you want to do until tomorrow, it can all change very suddenly.

Comment

Working...
                                X