Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Campus censorship an epidemic at UK universities?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
    Rights and responsibilities
    Have you got exactly the same song sheet as I have?? This is uncanny how you are exactly mirroring my thoughts here!

Comment

Originally posted by TimP View Post
      Have you got exactly the same song sheet as I have?? This is uncanny how you are exactly mirroring my thoughts here!
      Probably Tim. I think it is a generational thing.

On a related subject, listening to BBC R2 half an hour ago Vine was talking to a young lady who took her Grade 7 ABRSM Cornet exam yesterday. Very well done to her for that and I hope she gets the result she deserves. (I think this was something to do with BBC Children in Need.)

However, the young lady in question was talking about her feelings of 'anxiety' before taking the exam. I have heard a lot about this recently. The point is, these feelings were portrayed as being some form of mental illness when surely all of us have felt anxiety before performing or taking important exams. I know I have. Isn't this perfectly normal?

If we do away with exams and other anxiety inducing events what happens when we are faced with much more serious and unavoidable events? Are we to stop hauling young criminals before the courts because they find it too traumatic?
      ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Jax View Post
        Wow I feel really elated ! Not only have I realised I am a Boomer but also no doubt classed as a " usual suspect ".

Recognition at last !

Jax

Originally posted by Tram View Post
        You are actually just a pet of some others on here
        Always ready with a like, thanks or supporting comment.
        Safer to be part of a group and to egg others on to do your bidding

Coward is a better description, so recognition is yours, congratulations.

You are actually just a pet of some others on here

Really ? Perhaps you would be kind enough to identify who, in your considered opinion these Pet Owners actually are ?

Always ready with a like, thanks or supporting comment.

I will take that as a compliment as surely "likes" "supportive comments" are what keeps this excellent forum such a pleasant friendly place.

Safer to be part of a group and to egg others on to do your bidding

Again, would you care to identify what group you are referring to ? I really doubt any members of this forum would be so immature and easily led to be "egged on" by anyone. In my experience, as a member of this forum, most contributors are individuals with their own views and opinions on many diverse subjects which, after all, is what makes fora and debates flourish in what is normally a friendly atmosphere.

Coward is a better description, so recognition is yours, congratulations.

Sorry but if that's your best shot at being abusive you really will have to do better. Such comments belong in the Junior School playground not in a forum made up mostly of mature respectable members.

Kindest regards,

Jax

Comment

Sorry but if that's your best shot at being abusive you really will have to do better. Such comments belong in the Junior School playground not in a forum made up mostly of mature respectable members.

Jax
          Jax, anyone who resorts to making derogatory or offensive remarks about skin colour is a racist. I am used to that. There is also an element of ageism involved in these comments.

I would take no notice and move on.
          ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Probably Tim. I think it is a generational thing.

On a related subject, listening to BBC R2 half an hour ago Vine was talking to a young lady who took her Grade 7 ABRSM Cornet exam yesterday. Very well done to her for that and I hope she gets the result she deserves. (I think this was something to do with BBC Children in Need.)

However, the young lady in question was talking about her feelings of 'anxiety' before taking the exam. I have heard a lot about this recently. The point is, these feelings were portrayed as being some form of mental illness when surely all of us have felt anxiety before performing or taking important exams. I know I have. Isn't this perfectly normal?

If we do away with exams and other anxiety inducing events what happens when we are faced with much more serious and unavoidable events? Are we to stop hauling young criminals before the courts because they find it too traumatic?

Comment

Kindest regards,

Jax
              To respect the wishes of the admin I will desist from describing you in any stronger manner
              However if we should ever meet face to face be assured I can and would be far more expressive with those terms.
              There again that seems most unlikely as persons of your ilk are only brave sat at home

Online or not, ganging up on one person is despicable, so you are in effect just a bully
              I would so like to meet you and see if you are as brave in person to my face

Comment

OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
                I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
                www.flickr.com/photos/141996687@N02/

Comment

Originally posted by Rocknroll59 View Post
                  I think someone needs to sit and take a rest for while....chill man and offer a bit of respect to others please...

No, should always stand up to that sort of behaviour, it needs to be accountable
                  Too much of this cyber bullying these days, spineless actions from the inadequate of society

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Tram View Post
                      To respect the wishes of the admin I will desist from describing you in any stronger manner
                      However if we should ever meet face to face be assured I can and would be far more expressive with those terms.
                      There again that seems most unlikely as persons of your ilk are only brave sat at home

Online or not, ganging up on one person is despicable, so you are in effect just a bully
                      I would so like to meet you and see if you are as brave in person to my face
                      Tram, please will you desist from your threatening behaviour. There is no need for it.
                      ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by TimP View Post
                        Oh come on! Sticks and stones......
                        Its not the words, i'm not easily offended and no youngster either at nearly 61.
                        Just abhor bullying in any form and certain people always join in when they think they are in the majority.
                        Any objection is then turned into the poor old me scenario where support is then sought for their actions.

Comment

Tram, please will you desist from your threatening behaviour. There is no need for it.
                          Yes there is, bullies need to be brought to book.
                          Sorry if some on here don't like being exposed for what they are

Comment

I didn’t get where I am today....

Comment

We know a School Nurse fairly well. Even when our children were at primary school (with hers) she often said that some middle class parents (in particular) are only happy when their offspring are diagnosed with some condition or another because it gives them an excuse for not excelling. Simply 'being thick' is no longer an option it seems.

I wonder whether this could explain the large number of youngsters with so-called 'conditions' and 'syndromes' that were never diagnosed or even recognised when we were at school.
                              ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Walti View Post
                                Anxiety...

I've had to give up work and take early retirement due to it. I've also had to watch others in my family deal with it.

It is by no means a modern illness it is however very real and far more prevalent than it used to be. The pressures of life are far greater for our children than anything we had to face as children - most of actually had childhoods, many children of the current generations are expected to deal with life in a far more adult manner (and adult content) than us older Boomers had to deal with.

One thing I have seen recently is the acceptance of mental illness as just that, an illness rather than freak behaviour fit to be taunted and abused, therefore people are rightly more able to talk about it.

Anxiety is a real emotion that we need to function properly, however when it spirals out control it can be a very debilitating illness rather than just a normal emotion.
                                I would concur with that Walti, and thank you for being so open about it. I have suffered periods of anxiety myself from time to time and I would agree that whilst the causes of anxiety of often entirely illogical it can nevertheless have life-limiting and life-changing effects. Often it comes down to expecting too much of ourselves rather than any external pressures.

That said, I do not believe that portraying 'normal anxieties' surrounding exams, driving tests, deadlines at work, musical or sports performances and suchlike as a mental illness help anyone at all. Only when anxiety gets out of control and affects the way we live our lives does it become an illness.
                                ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Working...
                                X