Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES

See more
See less

Campus censorship an epidemic at UK universities?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Tram View Post
    National service was hardly a success probably the reason it was discontinued in 1960.
    I just missed National Service and was glad at the time that I did - but I often think that it would have done me good in my late teens.

    Jim

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Jax View Post
      Wow I feel really elated ! Not only have I realised I am a Boomer but also no doubt classed as a " usual suspect ".

      Recognition at last !

      Jax
      You are actually just a pet of some others on here
      Always ready with a like, thanks or supporting comment.
      Safer to be part of a group and to egg others on to do your bidding

      Coward is a better description, so recognition is yours, congratulations.

      Comment


      • #18
        https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/techno...rse-each-other
        Mark Johnson

        My Sailing Page

        My Flickr

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
          I just missed National Service and was glad at the time that I did - but I often think that it would have done me good in my late teens.

          Jim

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Jax View Post
            Wow I feel really elated ! Not only have I realised I am a Boomer but also no doubt classed as a " usual suspect ".

            Recognition at last !

            Jax
            Welcome aboard!

            Comment


            • #21

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by TimP View Post
                I think you’re right. You’ve have learned a trade surely. I was lucky and went straight into an apprenticeship direct from school and not been out of work for a day since. Whether by luck or ability I have no idea.
                Probably mostly ability with a bit of luck. I think people can make their own "luck" by being seen to be trying to do something rather than giving up.
                Dave

                My Flickr

                Comment


                • #23

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by TimP View Post
                    For me it’s more a case of them seemingly being unable to take any responsibility for anything not quite to their liking, making it someone else’s fault.
                    According to them, no-ones perfect except them... oh, so, so much to learn.
                    Sounds just like my kids...………….

                    They say you should employ 10-12 years olds, as they know everything...………...
                    Mark Johnson

                    My Sailing Page

                    My Flickr

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by wornish View Post
                      Oh dear.
                      What is a Gammon? I am so sorry for not using the latest terms.
                      The term Gammon is a derogatory racist and ageist term used by some (mainly Millennials) to describe the skin colour, complexion and age of 'outraged angry old white men' with high blood pressure who may read the Sun, The Daily Mail or similar outraged rags.
                      ---------------

                      Naughty Nigel


                      Difficult is worth doing

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Tram View Post
                        You are actually just a pet of some others on here
                        Always ready with a like, thanks or supporting comment.
                        Safer to be part of a group and to egg others on to do your bidding

                        Coward is a better description, so recognition is yours, congratulations.
                        There are a number of derogatory generalisations being used in this thread, but I think "coward" is a bit too strong and a bit too personal. Can we exercise restraint please, chaps.
                        John

                        "A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          But where does this all come from? is it parents, schools, children's television or perhaps social media?

                          I do wonder whether over-liberalisation of our schools is part of the problem. I remember when our children were at primary school (1998 - 2009) there could be 'no winners or losers' at the school sports day. This always seemed to be a slippery slope to me. There will always be winners and losers whether we like it or not and competitiveness (or the lack of) certainly doesn't stop at the school gates.

                          For a while there was a parents race and a parents egg and spoon race but those events were quietly dropped as it was claimed that some parents were 'too competitive' and that children of less competitive parents could be upset by it all.
                          ---------------

                          Naughty Nigel


                          Difficult is worth doing

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
                            But where does this all come from? is it parents, schools, children's television or perhaps social media?

                            I do wonder whether over-liberalisation of our schools is part of the problem. I remember when our children were at primary school (1998 - 2009) there could be 'no winners or losers' at the school sports day. This always seemed to be a slippery slope to me. There will always be winners and losers whether we like it or not and competitiveness (or the lack of) certainly doesn't stop at the school gates.

                            For a while there was a parents race and a parents egg and spoon race but those events were quietly dropped as it was claimed that some parents were 'too competitive' and that children of less competitive parents could be upset by it all.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Mark Johnson

                              My Sailing Page

                              My Flickr

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by MJ224 View Post
                                In my book, RIGHTS come with OBLIGATIONS and RESPECT, a message that does not seem to come through...
                                Rights and responsibilities
                                ---------------

                                Naughty Nigel


                                Difficult is worth doing

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X