Olympus OI share

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! Olympus OI share

Tried string up my phone and camera, did everything I was supposed to do, so I thought, but get an error message, "Unable to join the network."

Any tips would be welcome.
    sigpicDave

Re: Olympus OI share

Have you tried pressing the wireless security button on the router? This allows auto connection without the hassle. I had to use this to get my printer to connect to the network.
    It's not what inspires us that is important, it's where the journey takes us.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Comment

Not sure I can give tips, and forgive me for telling how I manage...

Switch on the camera wifi (EM1 ii or my TG-5)

On the phone, go to settings and wifi. the phone (I use Apple) should then pick up the camera wifi. I wait until the camera /phone are connected (a little tick by the Em or TG wifi).

Then to the OI share app, and that then asks what you want to do, Remote control and or download...

You most likely do all that, maybe re-load the app, or percussive maintenance sometimes works...……………

Good luck..
      Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Wally View Post
        Have you tried pressing the wireless security button on the router? This allows auto connection without the hassle. I had to use this to get my printer to connect to the network.
        The camera has its own wifi, nothing to do with routers etc....

Perhaps make sure the home wifi is disconnected in case its too powerful..:-)
        Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

Thanks guys, will try out in the morning.
            sigpicDave

Comment

Dave,

After you enabled WiFi (Menu Wrench->WiFi Settings->WiFi Connect Settings->Private) and then Menu Playback->"Connect to Smartphone" after a short while the camera will have started WiFi and it should appear among the list of wireless networks on your phone. The name of the network is something like "E-M1-P-NNNNNNNNN" with NNNNNNNNN the serial number. (Prefix E-M1 for an E-M1 etc. )

NOTE 1: When connecting you need to enter the password to the WiFi network, which is displayed on the bottom the camera LCD. Alternatively, you can use the OI Share app to scan the QR code that is displayed on the camera LCD. To do that: Tap the Camera symbol on the bottom of the app then proceed with Simple setting (not sure about the English name as I have a Swedish app), then scan the code using the phone's camera. If you don't provide the password you will get an error message from the phone about failing to connect.

After you have successfully connected to the camera's Wifi you should also get a notification from the phone that you have connected to that network and informing you that you have no Internet access (which is as expected).

Once the phone is connected to the camera you can use the app as a wireless remote control, with support for the most important controls; shutter speed, aperture, exposure control, focus points, shutter mode and shutter release. Here is an example what you can achieve: https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthr...light=blue+tit

The performance is good, not much lag to speak of. The reach should be at least 10 meters if there are no obstacles that will weaken the signal. It will drain the camera battery a bit though, maybe 10-20% per hour of continuous use. Same goes for the phone battery, perhaps 5%-10% per hour. Your mileage will vary...

NOTE 2: As others have written a pitfall is that your phone will switch back to another network, for instance, the one you are using at home/office. If/when that happens you need to re-connect to the camera. When getting the app to work with the camera the first time you could eliminate this source of error by operating it in an environment out of reach from previously used network/s.

If above is unclear do not hesitate to ask.

What phone are you using? Android? iOS?

Hope this helps.

My Gallery on 500px

Comment

Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

I always use Easy Setup - swipe up the icon for switching the camera off, select easy setup and then scan. You then just take a photo of the QR code displayed on the camera. It's never easy or flawless for me though; often takes a couple of attempts. Still, useful for transferring the occasional JPEG or (with the E-M1 mk 2) raw file.

Comment

Originally posted by Tordan58 View Post
                    Dave,

After you enabled WiFi (Menu Wrench->WiFi Settings->WiFi Connect Settings->Private) and then Menu Playback->"Connect to Smartphone" after a short while the camera will have started WiFi and it should appear among the list of wireless networks on your phone. The name of the network is something like "E-M1-P-NNNNNNNNN" with NNNNNNNNN the serial number. (Prefix E-M1 for an E-M1 etc. )

NOTE 1: When connecting you need to enter the password to the WiFi network, which is displayed on the bottom the camera LCD. Alternatively, you can use the OI Share app to scan the QR code that is displayed on the camera LCD. To do that: Tap the Camera symbol on the bottom of the app then proceed with Simple setting (not sure about the English name as I have a Swedish app), then scan the code using the phone's camera. If you don't provide the password you will get an error message from the phone about failing to connect.

After you have successfully connected to the camera's Wifi you should also get a notification from the phone that you have connected to that network and informing you that you have no Internet access (which is as expected).

Once the phone is connected to the camera you can use the app as a wireless remote control, with support for the most important controls; shutter speed, aperture, exposure control, focus points, shutter mode and shutter release. Here is an example what you can achieve: https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthr...light=blue+tit

The performance is good, not much lag to speak of. The reach should be at least 10 meters if there are no obstacles that will weaken the signal. It will drain the camera battery a bit though, maybe 10-20% per hour of continuous use. Same goes for the phone battery, perhaps 5%-10% per hour. Your mileage will vary...

NOTE 2: As others have written a pitfall is that your phone will switch back to another network, for instance, the one you are using at home/office. If/when that happens you need to re-connect to the camera. When getting the app to work with the camera the first time you could eliminate this source of error by operating it in an environment out of reach from previously used network/s.

If above is unclear do not hesitate to ask.

What phone are you using? Android? iOS?

Hope this helps.
                    Thanks for you help.
                    Done all this.
                    And when everything seems to be going right, I get message on phone saying "unable to join the network "E-1MK11-P-BHUA17701"
                    This is the first time of trying, not set it up previously. Using an iPhone.
                    sigpicDave

Comment

is this of any use???

https://www.techbout.com/unable-to-j...ne-ipad-14943/
                      Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by MJ224 View Post
                        Not directly, but by some magical process, I managed to get wi fi up and running. Pics to follow. (but don't get too excited, they are not winners).
                        sigpicDave

Comment

I have a picture in my head of lots of starlings coming down to feed in my garden.
                          This was my first try. No starlings but a few of this brave pigeon. I think that it could hear the shutter firing, I will put it on silent next time.
                          Not an award winning pic, but it made me smile.
                          Thanks for your help guys.
                          sigpicDave

Comment

Originally posted by sapper View Post
                            I have a picture in my head of lots of starlings coming down to feed in my garden.
                            This was my first try. No starlings but a few of this brave pigeon. I think that it could hear the shutter firing, I will put it on silent next time.
                            Not an award winning pic, but it made me smile.
                            Thanks for your help guys.
                            Your lawn needs mowing, Dave!

Jim

Comment

Yes I know Jim, do it tomorrow if it doesn't rain:-)
                              sigpicDave

Comment

Working...
                              X