Satisfaction Up - Anxiety Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Satisfaction Up - Anxiety Down

New figures from the ONS this week. Courtesy of The Telegraph.

Record high employment + rising pay = happier Brits

Dave

My Flickr

Re: Satisfaction Up - Anxiety Down

See, life does have its ups and downs.

David

Comment

That's only because I've retired

Regards
      Andy
      My Kit (OK I'm a hoarder...)
      4/3 E500, E510, E30 + 35macro, 50macro, 7-14, 11-22, 14-45 (x2), 14-54, 40-150 (both types), 50-200, 70-300, 50-500,
      m 4/3 EM1MkII + 60 macro, 12-100 Pro
      FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
      The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
      http://www.shenstone.me.uk
      http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
      https://vimeo.com/shenstone
      http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/

Comment

I find the data puzzling.

The dates are between 2013 and 2019. How was the data arrived at - are they simple averages over the three year period? If so, then the data for London (say), which has a satisfaction of around 5, could be derived from 10 in 2013 and 0 in 2019. Similarly, the London anxiety of -5 could be arrived at from 0 in 2013 and -10 in 2019. It could also work the other way round, with low satisfaction in 2013 and high in 2019.

I guess the chart can be interpreted to suit your current bias, which I suspect is the point of Dave posting it!

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
          I find the data puzzling.

The dates are between 2013 and 2019. How was the data arrived at - are they simple averages over the three year period? If so, then the data for London (say), which has a satisfaction of around 5, could be derived from 10 in 2013 and 0 in 2019. Similarly, the London anxiety of -5 could be arrived at fro 0 in 2013 and -10 in 2019. I could also work the other way round, with low satifaction in 2013 and high in 2019.

I guess the chart can be interpreted to suit your current bias, which I suspect is the point of Dave posting it!

Jim
          If you want the supporting detail simply go to the ONS site it's all there. You can even download an excel spreadsheet. It is a measure that is taken every year introduced by a certain Mr. Cameron. IIRC.

The reason I posted it was to show that there is good news out there despite all the doom and gloom that bombards us daily.
          Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by wornish View Post
            If you want the supporting detail simply go to the ONS site it's all there. You can even download an excel spreadsheet. It is a measure that is taken every year introduced by a certain Mr. Cameron. IIRC.

The reason I posted it was to show that there is good news out there despite all the doom and gloom that bombards us daily.
            You have to do better than that, Dave!

It's you that's making the assertion that things have got better, and it's you that needs to provide the evidence. Providing a graphic that can be interpreted otherwise and expecting doubters to do the homework for you is not good enough.

Jim

Comment

You notice that, in the North West, our anxiety levels are way down .....

.... That's because we don't give a sh1t anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Keith-369 View Post

I thought that was because Man U are doing so well in the Premiership; oh but hang on a mo.
                ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

On a more serious note, how on earth do you quantify happiness or anxiety?

From what I am seeing large numbers of people are unhappy with their lives and/or are anxious. This pre-dates Brexit by a long way and has more to do with the way people live their lives today and their self-inflicted unrealistic expectations than anything that any government has inflicted on us to date.
                  ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
                    On a more serious note, how on earth do you quantify happiness or anxiety?
                    Exactly!

I've done YouGov surveys in the past for a few years, and found these sort of vague questions about subjective matters irritating.

If you're worried that you haven't had a 'pony and trap' for a couple of days, does this count as 'more anxious'? (I'm sure you get the gist!)

I don't do the surveys now.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
                      If you're worried that you haven't had a 'pony and trap' for a couple of days, does this count as 'more anxious'? (I'm sure you get the gist!)

Jim
                      :

Thank you for that wonderful image Jim. You have really brightened up my day. I might even score a 10!
                      ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Keith-369 View Post

On that very subject, as reported in the Grauniad:

Happy-go-lucky: Ribble Valley officially named the UK's happiest place

Am I the only one to spot a certain irony here?
                          ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

I liked the bit where one interviewee stated:

"But he said he would have given a gloomier answer than most of his neighbours if the ONS surveyors had questioned him yesterday. He waited in for post that never came, says rain falls more frequently on the west of the pennines, and his dog hasn’t been well."

Jim

Comment

Yeahbut - Lancashire! Rain dripping off your flat cap down your neck, the whippet whining, and having to grow prize leeks!

Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X