Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Social Media killing our profession

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Social Media killing our profession

As a land surveyor (many years ago) GPS was the dumping down of survey skills. Here was an amazing machine/technology that allowed crumby engineers to sus out where they were, whereas in the past, it took several days or at least hours and several hours of computations to work out what GPS did in several minutes.............

But in the end the deciding factor was, who actually wanted to do the job. Engineers did not want to lower themselves to being surveyors, and actually did not have the background skills to do the job properly. (usual trap of rubbish in and rubbish out). As surveyors we could tell a silly result immediately, and could understand a UTC and a Mercator grid amongst many other grids/projections.

Photography is much the same I guess, a pro will generally get better results, and us amateurs are lucky when it works well.............
    Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by pandora View Post
      As a pubescent boy I was told that VR can lead to blindness. Regardless of how vigorous, it didn't.
      Are you sure that was VR Mark?
      ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by MJ224 View Post
        As a land surveyor (many years ago) GPS was the dumping down of survey skills. Here was an amazing machine/technology that allowed crumby engineers to sus out where they were, whereas in the past, it took several days or at least hours and several hours of computations to work out what GPS did in several minutes.............

But in the end the deciding factor was, who actually wanted to do the job. Engineers did not want to lower themselves to being surveyors, and actually did not have the background skills to do the job properly. (usual trap of rubbish in and rubbish out). As surveyors we could tell a silly result immediately, and could understand a UTC and a Mercator grid amongst many other grids/projections.

Photography is much the same I guess, a pro will generally get better results, and us amateurs are lucky when it works well.............
        I think that is true.

In the yacht painting world the 'professionals' actually preferred a well known American brand because it was difficult to spray and gave them a kind of 'exclusivity' whereas the DIY type products sold in chandleries could be applied by almost anyone.
        ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Maybe social media or is it something else ?

https://youtu.be/b_UF44ZJR9U
          Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

Working...
          X