What broadband speed do you need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What broadband speed do you need?

Just wondered what speed is needed to operate this forum and post images We've been looking to move house to a more rural location that only has 5Mb/s download which is a lot less than the 200Mb/s luxury we currently have. I suspect that downloading videos will be a no no or overnight job but is that likely to make the forum too slow to operate?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Re: What broadband speed do you need?

Could it be that a 4G or 5G signal might be better? Forum will work, of course, but like all these things, faster is better.

Comment

Apart from the slow speed you should be concerned about the reliability of the connection. If you are the end of a long wire that has lots of connections and other customers you could be liable to outages due to bad connections.

Also if you are out in the sticks and the telephone cable is carried overhead over many telegraph poles repairs may be delayed as the engineers wait for the cherry picker overhead platforms to arrive - perhaps from the other side of the county, so that the engineer can remake the connection.

You have a quality of life / quality of communications issue.
      This space for rent

Comment

I "only" get about 6MB download speed and that's way more than I actually need for downloading or watching videos. Upload is speed is, of course, a lot less than that but I don't do a lot of uploading.
        Best wishes

Wildwood

Comment

We managed perfectly well with 'standard' broadband before we got the Fibre to Cabinet thingummy. Our connection speed was 18 MB/Second but uploads were limited to 512 kB/Second. The main advantage is the upload speed, although downloads are faster too.

Whether uploading or downloading you will never achieve anything like the claimed speed owing to 'contention' with other users.
          ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
            We managed perfectly well with 'standard' broadband before we got the Fibre to Cabinet thingummy. Our connection speed was 18 MB/Second but uploads were limited to 512 kB/Second. The main advantage is the upload speed, although downloads are faster too.

Whether uploading or downloading you will never achieve anything like the claimed speed owing to 'contention' with other users.
            We kinda managed perfectly well but I could never use YouTube as it would just buffer all the time. O/S updates needed leaving overnight to download, so no, perhaps we dont need it but it sure as hell makes modern connected live a lot easier.
            BTW Im jealous of your speeds unless of course youve embiggened your little b. !!

Comment

Suppose it depends what you want it for, we had 15Mb/s and that was perfectly adequate
              Upgraded to fibre to the cabinet and get about 65Mb/s now, for our uses haven't really noticed any difference.
              Only changed because it was offered at the same price and we needed a new router which was included.

Comment

Originally posted by TimP View Post
                We kinda managed perfectly well but I could never use YouTube as it would just buffer all the time. O/S updates needed leaving overnight to download, so no, perhaps we dont need it but it sure as hell makes modern connected live a lot easier.
                BTW Im jealous of your speeds unless of course youve embiggened your little b. !!
                According the line test we are 1 kM from the exchange so we have always enjoyed good connection speeds, towards the top of what is claimed by BT.

We are a bit out in the sticks so there is probably not too much demand or noise on the line. We upgraded to BT Fibre to the Cabinet about four years ago which provided a worthwhile improvement. I have just run a speed check which gave the following figures:

Download Speed (Mbps): 78.14

Upload Speed (Mbps) : 10.61

Ping Latency (ms): 12
                ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Just checked our speed and its as follows

Download
                  67.77 Mb/s

Upload
                  10.32 Mb/s

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. We are on Virgin and they kept upgrading it for free so we are now at 220MB/s download and 21MB/s upload according to speed test hence never needed to worry about speed. Dropping down to over 40x slower was a bit of a concern but maybe it will be OK. Maybe my wife and daughters ipads will just have to go missing occasionally
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

So long as you don't all want to watch different movies at the same time you should be OK. The recommended minimum for BBC iPlayer standard quality (for example) is 1.5Mb/s, up to 5MB/s for HD.
                      Regards
                      Richard

Comment

I live in the sticks and we are totally dependent on the copper wire traveling on the telegraph poles to our house. We are on BT as our broadband supplier and get Download speeds of 46Mb/sec and Upload of 8.9Mb/sec.

The exchange (small green cabinet at the roadside) is approximately 1.5 miles away. We did lose broadband last winter for almost a week due to the overhead cable rubbing against a tree branch and cutting through some of the wires inside.

But, as Otto says as long as you don't download multiple different live video feeds then anything over 5Mb/sec is OK. Below that you will certainly notice it.
                        Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by wornish View Post
                          The exchange (small green cabinet at the roadside) is approximately 1.5 miles away.
                          That small green box is not the Exchange, but the Cabinet, as in 'Fibre to the Cabinet'. The Exchange will be a bigger building, possibly some distance away.

The idea is that high speed fibre broadband is brought to cabinets near to consumers. The final mile or so is by copper wire, thereby avoiding the cost of replacing the wires to consumer's premises; which incidentally would also prohibit the sue of self-powered telephones as they receive power at 48 Volts from the exchange.
                          ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

There is also FTTP, the P standing for premises and is fibre all the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Tram View Post
                              There is also FTTP, the P standing for premises and is fibre all the way.
                              If you get that where you live then the speeds should be very fast indeed. I don't think it will happen in the near future despite promises by a certain politician.
                              Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X